I think I'm not gonna pay $1000 for an iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iolinux333, Aug 4, 2014.

1. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

My iPhone 5s 64GB after tax and with the Apple case was right around $1000.

I was reading this article about the tablet market nosediving:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...csbecause-theres-no-point-in-buying-new-ones/

and started thinking to myself that

"I don't feel like laying $1000+ for a phone ever again."

Especially since I could get a Moto G with LTE and an SD slot for. $240 shipped.

The only thing an extra $800 gets me is the ability to continue to use iMesssge, and some extra stability and smoothness.

I'm not going to go back to android, rather I'm just gonna keep using my 5s until it dies - which will probably take years - or until Apple knocks $800 off the price tag.

Can I afford $1000 for a phone? Absolutely. I don't even feel it. It's just that I'm starting to feel like a dumb ass buying something so rediculously overpriced.

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Not another thread about what the iPhone 6 MAY cost.

$1000 is nearly £600.

The iPhone 5s costs from £549 for a 16GB model in the UK, that's only a £50 increase and with the larger display (which may be sapphire) among other things, that's not bad at all.

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

If it goes up in price in the States, it will go up in price here too. I won't pay more than £650 for a 32GB iPhone. If the price is higher then I'll buy a top-end Android for £550 and be done with it.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

We don't even know what the phone looks like yet, or even what its name will be, or available storage capacities, much less how much it will cost.

By the way, when you compare the specs of the Moto G and the iPhone 5s, it's like comparing a netbook to a MacBook Pro. Compared to the 5s, the CPU on the Moto G is not even 2/3 the capability, the camera is almost half resolution, and I'm sorry but grabbing an SD card and having partitioned storage is not going to make up for 16GB of internal storage.

But hey, if you want the netbook of smartphones, go right ahead and buy one. Good luck!

5. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

IMHO, the only dumb-asses out there are the people that continually buy the new models released each and every time Apple comes out with an updated model. If there is a feature you absolutely need that arrives on a new iPhone then I can see the reasoning for the expenditure, but not to have the latest model iPhone just for the prestige of having it! It's just a phone for goodness sakes!

The same can be said for those that lease new cars or buy new ones every 18-36 months. Different if you drive 60,000 miles a year or the company you work for is paying the bill. But it is just plain stupid for the majority of people that drive the average 11,000--15,000 mile per year. Again, IMHO. YMMV.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

THIS. It's such a colossal waste of money.

I drove my 2001 Honda Accord from late 2000 when I bought it until about a month ago when I bought my new car. That's 14 freaking years. I got my money's worth!

People who replace their cars constantly AND complain about always being broke make me wonder why they don't realize the car is probably the factor. Also insurance on a new vehicle is always going to be higher, so that factors in too. My bill went up $400 a year when I bought my new car... I can't imagine paying that ALL THE TIME.

7. gbkrip macrumors member

A one year old 64GB iPhone resells for what, $600-750? Other than your initial investment (the first year you buy it) and assuming you can sell for that price, you're losing less than $400 per year. At $400, I'd say it is a bit unreasonable. At $200-250, it's not terrible.

8. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

I had that theory since the first phone I ever bought, just to resell and upgrade. But there are some awesome classic phones that you just cant resell. iPhones are pretty much awesomesauce :)

9. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I buy a new iPhone every year and sell my old one to cover costs.

In terms of money, I am actually better off doing this.

I spend about £200 a year upgrading, and because im not tied into a contract I only pay £15 a month a calls and unlimited data.

I actually save money, and get to have the latest phone.

But that's just me.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

If that's the going rate for a 64GB 5S, which is what I have presently, then I could see me selling my 5S and upgrading to the 6.

11. suprakc macrumors regular

Well, I did that same thing. I wasn't planning on it at the time, as 16GB was my budget - and I purchase unlocked for T-Mobile. Got to the front of the line and the only T-mo phone left was a 64GB. BEST decision I have ever made. I can actually use my iPhone for what it should be (all of my iTunes library is on my phone).

I don't have plans to upgrade to iPhone 6. I'm sure it will entice me when presented, but the 5s is literally flawless IMO. All the bugs were worked out from the 5.

Really, I would be unsure about spending $900 bucks on a 6 because I love my 5s so much. I would, however, be much more "sure" about such a purchase for the 6s - bugs worked out.

On another note, I would never return to android. To each their own, but I couldn't stand the hardware or the software.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I never mentioned the Moto G ;-)
    If I went Android, it would be the Note 4.
    If I had to move right now, it would be the HTC One M8.

14. cynics macrumors G4

I just buy subsidized phones. On our company account the price doesn't get cheaper when the phone is paid off (contract ends) so it doesn't make sense for me to pay full price. That would be like throwing money away.

Oh and I have no intention of changing carriers so that doesn't matter either.

15. pure-rockstar macrumors regular

Actually it's worth it to stay on the latest tech.

16. Dave245 macrumors 601

I agree with this, for an extra £50 you are rumoured to be getting a bigger screen, sapphire screen, and maybe a 32GB instead of the 16GB entry. Now if this is all true, I would not mind paying the extra £50 it is more than worth it.

17. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

just to look cool infront of ur friends? lmao

18. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Boom - this is me exactly.

I pay my $85/month for my phone and iPad lines. I use my subsidy and sell my old device to cover costs every year-2 years. It works, I'm happy and I don't feel ripped off or like I'm owed anything.

Heck, based on the things I spend money on, my phone and cell service likely are the CHEAPEST when it comes to usage/money spent.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The OP did; that was the point of the thread.

20. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

It depends how old the current device I have is. If I was running on an iPhone 4 or even a 4S I would probably be planning on upgrading, but with having the 5S I'm not planning on upgrading this year.

21. gbkrip macrumors member

That rate should be about right. Check your local Craigslist over the course of a few weeks to get an idea of what you could reasonably sell for.

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Will do.

23. CEmajr macrumors 601

You'll never get $600-750 for an old model iPhone once the newest one comes out. $600 might be the absolute max sale price on eBay but after they chew their fees out of your profit you're in the low $500s.

Based on past trends the 64GB Unlocked iPhone 5S will be worth around $450-500 once the 6 is released and steadily drop from there.

24. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

OP - good for you.....I'd NEVER pay $1000 for any phone....never have, never will.

I've owned every iPhone since the 3G and numerous Android devices. Subsidies and selling back devices pretty much allows me to upgrade every year without much out-of-pocket cost at all.

I will likely be forking down a bit more this year for our iPhone 6s....my wife is due but we won't be selling her 5 as her Grandmother would like to have it. I also am planning on keeping both my 5C (backup) and 5S (work device).

So, with an early upgrade discount for my wife's and my full upgrade in December I'll be spending about $350 for my wife's 16GB and $300 for my 32GB.

We'll see if I can hold out for December....I've got my eye on the 5.5" version as well and may just go early upgrade for the 32GB and get the 5.5" for poops and giggles with the upgrade. Love that AT&T lets you use iPad lines as upgrade lines.

25. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

I think the iphone 6 4.7" will be the same price as the current 5S! But the premium iphone 6 5.5" will be more $$$ since it is bigger, has better components inside and has more options to add to the purchase. So, I think I might have to spend about $1,500 for one that has everything on it. Does not include sales tax, protective film, cases, keyboards, stands, etc...