I think I'm officially done with 13" exchanges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 31, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

So the first one I had had the top half of the screen much brighter than the bottom half, which turns out to be something that's pretty normal with most if not all MacBook Pro's I've come across. Should have just stuck with the first MacBook Pro and would have had no more problems.

Still, before then I exchanged it then the second had scratches on the palm rest when viewed from a studio light (I'm sure there are light, hidden scratches on all MacBook Pro's but nothing this ridiculous) in addition to being grossly misaligned top lid (when looking at the sides):
    [​IMG]

Then the next one had a super recessed battery indicator button and same screen issue with brightness (wasn't sure if it's all or selective, but replaced it anyways to avoid doubt)

The next one I got had a dead pixel that the manager replaced immediately.

Now this one seems fine, except for a slight grinding noise when opening the machine. I've heard lots of machines squeak when opening, which is probably a similar cause. I already see how:
    [​IMG]

compared with the left side that is flush:
    [​IMG]

and it's a slight noise I didn't really notice in the store when I opened the machine up. I don't want to go back and deal with them, waste my time, and have the staff think that I'm crazy. But dead pixel, I think above all else, was something I did not want to live with.

What do you think? Argh, I'm beginning to think a not flawed 13" isn't out there and I should just deal. If I have problems, I'll deal with Apple care I suppose. Bottom line is quality control is out of control on these MacBook Pros. I also had an i7 antiglare that I got replaced immediately because the first one had a dent on the screen that the manager immediately recognized.

Waiting for my X25-M and Optibay to come so I can put in an SSD.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

If you feel like it, you can loosen the screws that secure the hinge to the body, then align the screen properly and tighten.

The misalignment may be causing the plastic hinge cover to be rubbing against the body.

3. Piehead macrumors newbie

Don't you think that you're being a little too picky? No computer is perfect whether it be a Mac or PC, you should just be happy for what you have. Millions of people in this world don't even have a computer, and would kill for a MacBook pro. So please, just don't.

I am not trying to be rude in any way so don't be offended please. :)

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

It's a scraping noise (metal hitting metal slightly -- my guess is the bottom of the toplid is barely not clearing that raised part of the right side I took a pic of, whether alignment can fix that or not I don't know) though not a squeaky noise (which sounds like it comes from the plastic).

how do you go about doing this?

No you're right.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Just remove the bottom cover. The rest is obvious. Though the moment you insert that screwdriver into any screws other than the eight on the lid and the one on the hard drive, there goes your warranty :p

It's a really small torx, btw.

6. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

This is your opinion. If my $1300 macbook came with cosmetic defects, with apple's emphasis on quality, I sure as hell wouldn't be satisfied until the issue was resolved.

My iPhone started collecting dust under the screen and I still have 2 months of applecare. I'm going to get it replaced because it affects my enjoyment of the product.

By the way, your argument of millions not having computers is irrelevant because it's Apple who is making billions selling them. Further, if Apple is not supporting our economy by outsourcing labor to China, I have every right to bitch as a paying customer.

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Do you think it's worth bothering with? Also, will apple know if I realigned it?

Also, all the other edges on the machine and toplid line up perfectly except that right side where the noise comes from which leads me to believe it might be a manufacturing flaw but I don't know.

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'd rather make it clear to the store clerks that you are not satisfied with the product and would either like a satisfactory product or a full refund.

I did so and now have a MacBook Pro, up from a MacBook.

9. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Look man, all I'm saying is that for now, there is absolutely no problems with my MBP. No squeaking, grinding, scratches, etc.

I don't think I would be satisfied 100% with my purchase if there was. Apple's lenient warranty is there for a reason. 100% customer satisfaction. They can't afford to not offer this.

Explain to them that you have had issues with exchanges and you want a BRAND NEW, sealed replacement. If they dare argue this, ask them to call their corporate and give you the phone.

10. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I'm beginning to suspect that when folks go to exchange their MBP over these small quality issues, that the pool of computers available for exchange is taken from other computers that folks have brought back. Basically, a whole second-tier of previously exchanged computers is in circulation, and the managers select from these. No proof of this, but the folks that exchange these machines sure seem to end up with multiple laptops that have additional issues; while many of us buy a single, perfect MBP and never look back.

I think one lesson is to buy your machine in person, inspect it before you leave, and if its not what you want, then get another new-in-the-box laptop before you leave.

11. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Good post, A+ for actually telling people to be responsible for themselves. It's like when you take a car to valet parking and then pick it up, stop at the grocery store, then when you get home notice a scratch on the car. You have to inspect things on delivery or you can't blame them.

I agree with the others that there's a premium for Apple products, and with that comes the expectation of a premium experience. Contrary to popular belief, Chinese manufacturing doesn't mean low-quality. It can if not properly supervised. I'm not trying to get political here, but they manufacture in China because for $7 a day someone there cares enough about their job to make sure they do quality work. In the US even at 2x minimum wage (what is it Federally now like $6, so $12 an hour x 8 hours a day, so $100 a day) you can't get someone to care enough about their job to care about what they do, because they know the government in this country will safety-net them with unemployment, or they can just find another job easily, so yeah, there's merit to production in China besides just the front-end cost reduction. To say "Chinese quality is poor" demonstrates ignorance and utter lack of education regarding how the process actually works.

12. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

If you're waiting on an Optibay, won't installing that invalidate the warranty and make whether Apple notice the realigning of the screen moot.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Uhhh, that would be exactly what he's been getting when he gets an exchange. Doesn't seem to have helped him so far.

On the other hand, having a Genius adjust the display on the MBP he has now is a very straightforward thing, should fix the problme he has and avoids him risking other "defects" with yet another exchange.

14. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

yeah but if i ever need warranty, i'll return the superdrive to stock.

15. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I've opened the bottom, and maybe I'm dumb, but I don't see where the rest is obvious. Please assist me.

16. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

my mom's mbp is fine except to the thumb scoop.

17. lordofuo macrumors regular

I got lucky when I exchanged mine the first time. I have a flawless 13".

I was worried I'd end up with worse problems, but so far everything is perfect. *knock on wood* :p

18. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

i have 2 minor flaws on my mbp as well. i believe every mbp is somewhat flawed. nothings PERFECT. so your just among the rest of us witha very minimal flawed mbp! dont worry about it bro. were running top of the line laptops that many people wish they could afford. best of luck to you! hope this eases your mind :D:apple:

19. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

In regards to about computers that are returned with slight imperfections and creating a pool of them, it is against the law in many states to resell returned items. It is also against the law to rebox, retape, or display returned products.

Any retailer caught doing this is in serious trouble with the AGs offices in their respected states.

Just letting people know...

20. lordofuo macrumors regular

**facepalm**

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

That's a highly ridiculous law. If the item is perfectly good, there should be no reason they can't resell it.

The only thing I see a law like that doing is convincing more merchants to have crappier return policies as they'd have to eat a lot of costs if they couldn't resell anything returned even if it was returned cause the product worked like it was supposed to but wasn't going to do the job the person wanted.

And I have a hard time believing that's actually a law. I'm betting if anything if there is a law *like* that it is more that you cannot sell it and claim it is brand new, you have to label it refurbished or used or something.

22. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

He means opened box goods. And why shouldn't the law uphold that? Pawning something off as new that's already been opened (without marking it "open item, discount") is misrepresentation by a store and for the sake of making revenue.

Now, if someone bought a MBP, let it sit in their house for a week before their son/daughter ripped open the gift wrapping, realized that person didn't want it and would have preferred an iPad, and returning it -- hypothetical, but point being -- still UNOPENED and returned, then the store may sell that, and of course, new. But that's clearly different.

23. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

wow, this machine completely locked up on me until a reboot within the first few hours of usage. and everything is stock, except for google chrome software wise and hardware wise.

it's definitely going back. ARGH! this is so freaking frustrating.

24. Mark.W macrumors member

There might be something to your "second tier" theory (I've always wondered this myself), but you also have to keep in mind that some people are far more obsessive about minor flaws than others. An average MBP buyer is unlikely to inspect his new MBP under a "studio light", like the OP, and thus would never even notice the scratches on the palmrest. Likewise, it probably wouldn't even occur to a lot of people to check whether the screen lid aligns perfectly with the unibody.

There is no such thing as a 100% flawless MBP. Even Steve Jobs doesn't own one. I'm willing to bet good money that I could find at least a couple of cosmetic flaws on any MBP. Apple products are well-designed, but their quality control is not better than anybody else's. These computers are made in a Chinese sweatshop by laborers who are paid so little and treated so poorly, they are committing suicides. Can you really expect such people to take pride in their work and manufacture a "perfect" product?

25. Mark.W macrumors member

So what do you think Apple does with all the returned products? Throws them away?

It's against the law to sell an open box product as new. It's not against the law to "recondition" a product to like-new state and then sell it as if it was new. Basically, what I'm saying is that there are loopholes in the law that allow companies to resell returned products.