I think iPhone 7 should have a stylus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samadd, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Samadd macrumors member

I think Apple should give the stylus experience to us. I know many might not be fond of it, but after temporarily using the Samsung note 5 it does come handy at times. What do you all think?

2. laudern macrumors 6502a

3. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

That's a hard NO from me. It would just be something else to lose or break. For my uses there is not one reason to own a stylus. Besides, I can't see any reason why Apple would include one or design one. If you are one of the minority of people who wants one there are already options.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm very very VERY happy this isn't going to happen.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Steve Job was adamant about styluses, but yet in 2015, Apple released an iPad with a stylus. With maturing of smartphones, i.e., rate of change is slowing, I wouldn't be surprised if apple introduced a stylus for the plus model in a future model. Not the iPhone 7, but down the road further, especially if they roll out their stylus to other iPad models.

6. bransoj macrumors 6502a

So basically you want a stylus but dont want to pay for one and want Apple to give it to you for free!!

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I don't really think that the iPhone needs a stylus right now, but people need to stop bringing up what Steve Jobs thought or wanted. It's just not relevant. Someone who died in 2011 shouldn't be defining what technology should be in 2016. The industry changes too fast.

8. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

I think it's the one thing (along with the multitasking feature) that i like about the Note series, but Samsung let themselves down with Touchwiz, that and i really don't like Android. I do think Apple should do a feature like it tho, the Note series is one of Samsungs popular devices, even tho it wasn't released in the UK mainly i think because the iPhone 6 Plus has done so well that Samsung decided to act like a child and take their ball home ;)

As for the whole Steve Job's thing, i wish people would actually look at the amount of times Jobs said no and then changed his mind. Also as another person has already said, it is now 2016 and not 2011, Jobs is dead and Apple is under a new leader.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see you're point and I'm not disagreeing with it, yet I know a fair number of people who opted for the Samsung note for one reason and one reason alone - the stylus. Now a handful of people don't make a statistical population but it does show that there is a desire out there. I honestly don't think apple will do it, but on the other hand I would not be surprised if they did

10. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

To be fair if Touchwiz was more stable and i wasn't so deep in the Apple ecosystem i probably would of tried a Note phone, but i love my Apple products and I'm so use to them. I do think Apple could do this tho, and I'm sure i saw a patent on the internet by Apple that goes along the same lines.

(EDIT - here is the link to the mentioned patent https://gigaom.com/2014/09/02/a-jus...s-like-the-samsung-galaxy-note-3-radial-menu/ )

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Correct.
    And Jobs referred to a stylus as control and input device. On the iPad Pro the stylus is not a control device, but an accessory with specific duties .

SJ meant this:
    [​IMG]

Not this:

[​IMG]

12. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I'd have no reason for the stylus except for picking food out of my teeth, I'm not a fan of them and I I don't think they belong with any phone.

Only PDA's (i.e couriers and what not)

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Once they miniaturize the Pencil (my god what an engineering feat that is going to be), sure. Until then, however, I doubt Apple would want two different classes of Pencil (dumbed down one for the iPhone, and the regular one for the iPad).

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Back to the Palm Pilot days!

Opps, I am giving away my age!

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Here I am !

Palm III, m130 and m505 happy owner.

16. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Heh, I had one as well - it was my iPhone of 2001-2005ish. Always with me til it just broke and wouldn't work anymore.

17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Unless there was spilt screen multitasking I don't see the need unless the stylus can be used for notes like with the pencil

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

PALM.jpg

I had all the Palm Pilots, they we cutting edge back then

19. avanpelt macrumors 68030

If they start including the Apple Pencil with future iPhones, I'll just take it out of the box and immediately list it on eBay. I would rather use my fingers to interact with a phone.

20. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

We already have a stylus. In fact, 5 on each hand

21. bilibug macrumors regular

bilibug

LOL. I was a huge Palm fan, including the Kyocera and Palm Treo phones until I migrated to iPhone. A few years ago, I switched to a Note 2, excited about having a stylus again. I think I used it twice in 2 years. Went to a non-Note android, and now back to iPhone after getting tired of waiting for android OS updates to be approved by ATT. So happy to be back.

22. JackieInCo Suspended

If Apple designed the system correctly, they could enable a warning just as the Galaxy Note phones do that will warn you if you walk away without the pen.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I kinda did what you did but spent a good bit of time with Blackberry/Nextel as all of my customers where using it and the "chirp" was king in construction. Now few of any of my customers use Blackberry and I left long ago to go to the iPhone. No regrets here, all my Apple hardware syncs together so well.:D

24. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

What people are forgetting is the Apple Pencil. The Apple Pencil is already a writing instrument on the iPad Pro. Nothing really has to change other then the display to support the Apple Pencil. I would love to see Apple shrink the Pencil to place in the Headphone jack, but that may not happen for a while. Samsung's Note series proves that a stylus with a smartphone is the perfect match and a susscess. It has done so for the last 5 years. In my opinion Apple created slide over, split view and the Apple Pencil because of Samsung's success. The smart keyboard is because of Microsoft.

25. rudedude macrumors newbie

rudedude

I can see Apple designing future iPhones and iPads (besides the Pro) to allow use of the Pencil in the future but I don't think it will be a hard selling point. More likely something that will be implemented only for those who want to jot down a note or attempt to use their iPhone for sketching.

As much as I love my MessagePad, I think it would be a step backwards for Apple to include a stylus with the iPhones going forward.