Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
jelloshotgun said:
Was the site originally using slashcode?

site originally used an early version of PHPSlash. but that pretty much sucked. :)

arn

XNine

macrumors 68040
The only thing I think could possibly make the site any better, arn, is a little box at the bottom of the screen where you can select which forum you want to jump to, instead of going back to the main Forum List page every single time.

And.. and.. well, that's it, actually. :)

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
XII said:
Am I the only one who likes the simple, easy smilies?

No, you're not -- animated :) s are irritatingly over the top.

I used to feel pretty :( about :) :confused: :eek: , but have resigned myself to their existence. If people start consistently using animated :rolleyes: :( :p , though, I can't imagine feeling anyting but :mad:. LOL.

:rolleyes:

L

Lau

Applespider said:
Perhaps a new contest; design some new non-animated smileys for MR. Sure there are some clever Mac related ones out there that someone could come up. Even Happy Mac and Sad Mac instead of :) and :(

How about these? :D

Edit: Did em all, because my Friday night is just that damn exciting. :eek:

Attachments

• mrsmileys.jpg
    mrsmileys.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,720

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
I like the site. The only change I would make is getting rid of the funky blue at the top and bottom. Other than that, leave everything, because it's extremely quick loading (I don't want to waste a lot of time waiting for pages to load at work, ya know :p )

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Onizuka said:
The only thing I think could possibly make the site any better, arn, is a little box at the bottom of the screen where you can select which forum you want to jump to, instead of going back to the main Forum List page every single time.

And.. and.. well, that's it, actually. :)

This man makes an excellent point.

Other than that, I appreciate the tasteful, elegant, and functional interface MR has right now. Let's not be muddying it up with flashing crap.:p

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
I love the site and the forums the way they are...

Best bits:
- Logo
- Overall appearance
- Forums very easy to read
- Tight control of forum options keeps everything looking smooth
- Use of tabs
- Regular updates
- 'Tell it like it is' style
- Guides

However from reading this forum, some things I like the idea of...
- Forum navigation pull down menu
- More static smilies (not animated)

A few of my ideas...
- Make the home page less 'full'. Sometimes feels like information overload.
- A new poll every day.
- Interactive play mate :D

Lau said:

I actually think they're quite cute - Could maybe do with being a bit bolder, with bigger eyes and features, and perhaps with a stronger background colour. I'd use them.

L

Lau

TMA said:
I actually think they're quite cute - Could maybe do with being a bit bolder, with bigger eyes and features, and perhaps with a stronger background colour. I'd use them.

Thanks. Yeah, they definitely need a outline, I think, and a bit more time spent on them! I was just playing around, really, but i quite like the idea of designing a set of smileys. <puts thinking cap on>

Mitthrawnuruodo said:
And hanging out here at MR isn't exiting...? :confused: :p

Of course it is! :D

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Three years to see it

DaveP said:
I agree that the forums being very simple and plain make them very readable and pleasing on the eye. It took me about 3 months to realize the logo had a question mark in it....

It took me three years! I only looked at it really carefully for the first time the other day. Now, that I know it's there it's obvious, it really jumps out, but I can't believe I didn't notice it for so long.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Lau said:
Thanks. Yeah, they definitely need a outline, I think, and a bit more time spent on them! I was just playing around, really, but i quite like the idea of designing a set of smileys. <puts thinking cap on>

Of course it is! :D

Cool smileys even though I don't really use them (except :rolleyes: ). Make 'em for demis only.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Lau said:

They are so adorable! You should get them printed on a shirt... I'd buy it. :eek: :D

P.S. As far as animated 'tars/smileys go-- I love Camino. I've made it so that animated things only play once before they stop moving!

L

Lau

Did some smiley updating....

Click the thumbnail, 'cause it shrunk 'em a bit....

edit, made em bigger in the post instead. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• mrsmile.gif
    mrsmile.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 233
L

Lau

Applespider said:
Nice ones Lau

Although I must confess I was thinking more of, literally, Happy & Sad Mac and I do like the idea of 'bombing' certain oft-repeated topics ;)

Thanks. :)

It's a shame there were no 'embarrassed Mac' icons. :D Although I must say I love the idea of bombing bad threads!

Attachments

• bomb.gif
    bomb.gif
    793 bytes · Views: 2,985

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Lau said:
Did some smiley updating....

They're great... but I do like the greater colour variation in the standard set. That blushing pink, gloomy purple and furious red communicate so much.

L

Lau

Blue Velvet said:
They're great... but I do like the greater colour variation in the standard set. That blushing pink, gloomy purple and furious red communicate so much.

Hmm, looking at them again, I think you're right. I was trying to keep them in vague apple-like colours (i.e. either a shade of red or green) but I think the ones we have already (as well as the colours communicating) are instantly recognisable by the colour, before you see the expression.

Lucky I saved them layered, huh? :D

L

Lau

These are close (ish) to the original MR smileys in colour, which is probably less confusing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mrsmile.gif
    mrsmile.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 2,920

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
What ever you do, don't get rid of this little guy: :D

He's my favourite smily!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.