Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
The X sold worse than expected.

Eventually people will get priced out. It’s already happening
I agree! The XS is basically the same! It's not gonna sell well this year. XS Max is way too expensive. Especially, the 512GB at almost $1500! That's insanity! They will sell tons of XR's though!
[doublepost=1536784665][/doublepost]
There's that word again - "literally". I don't want to sound picky, but new processor, new GPU, etc.
and what advantage those 15-25% gains will bring to an average user?! I would say none. The physical camera sensor is literally the same. All their improvements are strictly software based. The same with Face ID: I'm pretty sure the sensors are the same as well and the gains are only software related.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
We all know Apple has been becoming progressively greedier and greedier and many people have been ok with that, but this year i think it's time that we say stop.

$999 for a phone that has literally not a single new feature besides slight improvements in water resistance and some "bokeh" crap that could literally be added as a software update. The a12 has only a 5-10% increase in performance cpu based on slides and the gpu upgrade won't be noticeable for at least the next 2 years.

the Xr could have been a success but it ended up too expensive considering it's a single camera with removed features like 3d touch.

Maybe it's time to skip a generation and tell them that we're not gonna put up with being milked this easily?

+1000000000000000000 totally agree, this is absolutely ridiculous, does the world think we're rich or something? We're getting poorer and poorer and the cost of everything is going up.

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
We all know Apple has been becoming progressively greedier and greedier and many people have been ok with that, but this year i think it's time that we say stop.

$999 for a phone that has literally not a single new feature besides slight improvements in water resistance and some "bokeh" crap that could literally be added as a software update. The a12 has only a 5-10% increase in performance cpu based on slides and the gpu upgrade won't be noticeable for at least the next 2 years.

the Xr could have been a success but it ended up too expensive considering it's a single camera with removed features like 3d touch.

Maybe it's time to skip a generation and tell them that we're not gonna put up with being milked this easily?
No one is forcing you to buy it. BTW what new features are you looking for? Do you want it to cook you breakfast?

JennyG1000

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2016
I consider myself an average consumer, and I think Apple made 2 marketing mistakes:
1. 64 Gigabyte memory as base, especially on the Max, I would not think twice to buy 128 gig for $1,099. The cost for Apple for larger memory is low.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/12/the-iphone-xs-max-vs-the-competition-a-huge-step-up-in-size/
2. No double camera on LCD, I would buy XR if it had double lens camera.

I can afford the Max with upgraded memory but I will most likely pass and keep mu 7 plus litttle longer, as I am not really excited about Face ID.

And I don’t want to use cloud... streaming is not very reliable for me.

Reactions: nortonandreev

Pelea

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
No one is forcing you to buy it. BTW what new features are you looking for? Do you want it to cook you breakfast?

they could have EASILY made this a success just by releasing all their phones with a base storage of 256gb and making the xr have 3d touch + smaller bezels.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I don't get the outrage. Apple is still selling the iPhone 7 and 8, which are great phones, at reasonable prices.

If you want the absolute latest and greatest, you have to pay more. It's always been like that.

I still love my iPhone 7 Plus and you can buy one right now relatively inexpensively, brand new, and it will last you several years.

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
they could have EASILY made this a success just by releasing all their phones with a base storage of 256gb and making the xr have 3d touch + smaller bezels.
LCD phones need larger bezels than oled, so your second statement is not possible.

Reactions: Cigsm

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple is all about profits. They wont care if they sell less phones as the price hike will compensate for lower sales.
That's true, but they also offer a whole lineup starting under $500.

I think too many here mistake the drive for the latest and greatest with wanting to own an iphone period. Theres a huge swath of the population that would gladly buy an older generation (that still beats the performance of Android phones in that price point) because it already far exceeds their needs.

Pelea

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
LCD phones need larger bezels than oled, so your second statement is not possible.
you say that yet they literally just states in the keynote that technology allowed them to shrink it further than ever before. it doesn't even look symmetric at the moment it just looks ugly. either shrink it more or release something with slightly less bezel than the 8 but that at least looks good.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Lol.

This is going to be a massive iPhone year for Apple. The 6 and 7 are still the most used iphones on the planet....it's major upgrade time for those users.

I’m one of those users who has been waiting for this and am thoroughly disappointed. For me, the iPhone 6 size is ideal and would have gone for something similar in size if the price was right, however Apple have cleverly made this option the $999 option - frustrating.

Reactions: Jimmy James

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That Bokeh adjustment is already available in Dark Room! Probably in many other 3rd party apps as well. They literally had nothing new in the XS! I can't justify why they didn't drop it to $899 this year! It's repackaged X all over again.
So if the litmus test of nothing new is that a feature or function existed somewhere else then there hasn’t been a phone released in 10 years that has anything new.

My yardstick is not that. The Xs to me is a compelling package with lots of new stuff integrated in typical Apple fashion.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
So if the litmus test of nothing new is that a feature or function existed somewhere else then there hasn’t been a phone released in 10 years that has anything new.

My yardstick is not that. The Xs to me is a compelling package with lots of new stuff integrated in typical Apple fashion.
Lots of new stuff?! Do you have a time machine and have come from the year of 2020 or something? LOL

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
You clearly haven't seen the new Galaxies... the same story there also...

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
Whoever doesn’t bite on this year’s iPhones, may I suggest the identically priced DJI mavic 2 drones, neither of which my wife shall let me purchase.
dfbad7d3d843b959bd4bec15bd2d65ea.jpg

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
The maxed out 512Max @ $1449USD might be the easiest/most reliable iPhone to order for launch day delivery?

I’m asking in the sense that many people will balk at that price and the middle 256Max will be the bigger attraction?

Thoughts?
[doublepost=1536787598][/doublepost]
That Bokeh adjustment is already available in Dark Room! Probably in many other 3rd party apps as well. They literally had nothing new in the XS! I can't justify why they didn't drop it to $899 this year! It's repackaged X all over again.
I like Native functions versus app functions. That isn’t worth the price diff to me but I like what Apple is pushing towards which is total self sustainability with photos on a phone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lots of new stuff?! Do you have a time machine and have come from the year of 2020 or something? LOL
LOL. Your yardstick is I’ve seen this feature or function at some point in my life therefore there hasn’t been anything new in the last 20 years.

I’m not wearing that filter. Looking forward to my new Xs max.

Reactions: Cigsm

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The maxed out 512Max @ $1449USD might be the easiest/most reliable iPhone to order for launch day delivery?

I’m asking in the sense that many people will balk at that price and the middle 256Max will be the bigger attraction?

Thoughts?
[doublepost=1536787598][/doublepost]
I like Native functions versus app functions. That isn’t worth the price diff to me but I like what Apple is pushing towards which is total self sustainability with photos on a phone.

Apple's production allocation probably focuses on the 256GB version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.