I think my battery exploded

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dissdnt, May 1, 2009.

1. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

So I'm working and I noticed my trackpad button in the middle is squishy and won't click down like it does on the ends of the button.

About 2 min later my MacBook Pro just shut off and it will fully charged.

So I went in the other room and turned over my macbook, hit the battery button and no light went on. I pulled the battery out and I noticed a nice big bump down the center that even caused the casing to pop up.

[​IMG]

You guys think this thing is officially dead? I have Apple Care and hope they will replace it. My MacBook Pro is less then 2 years old.

I'm afraid to pop it back in and even try to charge it. I just have imagery in my head of dripping battery acid hehe.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They will only replace it if the battery if less than a year old; otherwise you're really looking at a new battery or a really nice manager.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Lol. That's a bulged battery. Not exploded (which usually involves some kind of fire).

But yes, I had the same problem a couple of months back with my 06 MBP, but it was under warranty. Take it into a Apple Store and they should replace it no questions if bought AppleCare. If you don't have AC, take it in anyway, see what they say, someone else on the forum was having the same problem.

What model MBP is it?

4. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Serious? Every stupid problem I have is never covered by Apple Care, what's the point! Total waste of money. Half of that could have went to a new battery hehe.

Next Mac, I'm skipping it.

Thanks

It's a 17 Inch 2.4 Santa Rosa. And I hope your right about the battery. I'll probably just take it down.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If there isn't any external damage to the battery, they should replace it.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I suggest taking it to the Apple Store and see what they say. I think they're pretty sensitive to battery issues.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's true if the battery has just died. For issues that involve a physical deformation, Apple is really good about replacing them with a minimum of fuss.

However, recent posters on the forum have had a hassle at the Apple Store, so I think it's better to call Applecare.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you do that, you're begging fate for a logic board to fry 18 months after you've bought it.