Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm not looking to replace it any time soon, but this past week the battery on my S0 is finally showing its age. I did not do any "exercise" yesterday but yet the battery was at 10% by 6:00pm. The preceding days I needed to top off the battery to get me beyond dinner time.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If used everyday it is about cycled out. Unfortunately it will only get exponentially worse.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've worn mine today for first time in six months and the battery is currently at 71% after 8 hours. I expected it to struggle to last the day but it seems to be doing well so far.

Reactions: xRYD3Rx

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Does Apple offer a (customer paid) battery replacement service for the watch?

ztw2002

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
New York City
I've been wearing it since launch date and battery can't even last whole day now and you can barely do anything on it due to slow speed. I can't wait for the new watch with edge to edge display.

Tom_P

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018
Puerto Rico
I had the battery replaced on mine and worked as new for about a month. After a software update it worked normally for a couple of hours and suddenly it went dark. I out it on the charge base and the Apple Logo appears and never goes away. Is not charging neither. I was reading that this happened to a bunch of people(Apple Logo and does not work) after the update too.

Got me a Series 3 and took the AppleCare just in case. I got so used to the watch that the month I was without it, it was like I lost something important in my life.:p

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If it’s a first generation Apple Watch, then it’s well past it’s likely cycled battery usage if it was a near launch day model towards April 2015 debut.

Note:

(Not that This is relevant to this specific situation, Apple conducts free battery tests, which the threshold for the Apple Watch battery is actually 80% deeming replacement.)

Last edited:

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I'd planned to live on my (early-adopted) "Series 0" until the fall – unfortunately the famous battery swelling issue managed to separate the display from the case just two months past the three-year mark, when apparently Apple would have replaced it out of warranty.

Fortunately the Series 1 comes at a good price these days; quit the significant feeling upgrade I didn't know I was missing. And possibly the only time I've ever had to replace an Apple device before I wanted to sell it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm not looking to replace it any time soon, but this past week the battery on my S0 is finally showing its age. I did not do any "exercise" yesterday but yet the battery was at 10% by 6:00pm. The preceding days I needed to top off the battery to get me beyond dinner time.

Christmas and the "4" is just around the corner!

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I've worn mine today for first time in six months and the battery is currently at 71% after 8 hours. I expected it to struggle to last the day but it seems to be doing well so far.
Mine was at 53% as of 2:45pm. I plugged it in, to give it some juice to last through karate.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
May not be feasible for everyone, but I have all day usage with Theater Mode---

Definitly getting a 4 or 3 next month. Depends on Health features on the 4.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
May not be feasible for everyone, but I have all day usage with Theater Mode---.

I sold my first GEN watches, but with the appropriate settings tweaked with ‘hey Siri’ disabled, the brightness decreased, prominent haptic turned off, the volume lowered, you can substantially increase the battery life if someone was desperate to make it through the day. But with a three year old watch, battery degradation is inevitable likely past its battery expectation cycles.

Reactions: rugmankc

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple should start adding "Best Before" dates to their products so you know when it's time for the scrap bin. :rolleyes:

I see what you did there or maybe it was unintentional. But a very clever Pun indeed for the Apple Watch.

ahoydecoy

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
I've worn mine since launch day. A few months ago I started to notice it lagging in some areas so have been planning to replace this September/October, especially if it coincides with the first redesign.

In the time since though things have deteriorated rapidly. It's as if it knows I'm planning on replacing it. It takes forever to light up when I raise my wrist or react to buttons and touches and the battery doesn't last a day (even with hey Siri off and no real strenuous use).

I just hope it lasts until I get my hands on a new one now.

alexcue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
my series 0 has gone into sleep duty. I use a series 3 during the day and just use the other one to track sleep. It served me well, but after messing with OS 5 for the watch, it just doesn't do what the newer ones can, and make it through the full day.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
i this got my apple watch S3 too go with my apple iphone 8 + and i find this much better then the iphone SE and apple watch S3 setup i had a few weeks ago wish i sold

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.