I think my Touch ID may be starting to fail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sclawis300, Nov 2, 2013.

1. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

So I have never had any trouble with touch ID other than having to register the same finger three times. However, starting today, it has started to not even attempt to read my finger. It is like the capacitive ring is not registering that there is a finger in the sensor. I have been forced to use my password and then it goes back to working. Anyone else seeing this problem?

2. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

3. Killcount macrumors newbie

Earlier today when I was in my car I for the life of me could not get the thing to read any of my fingers... Now it's working fine. Could it have been because of the cold weather?

4. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

They were clean. After I put in my password it started working again.

5. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

I find that oil and dirt starts to build up on the home button which affected the FP scanner. Make sure you keep the home button clean by just wiping it off.

6. bwsteg macrumors 6502

This has happened to me twice. It doesn't even read my fingers. I have to manually input my password and only then does the touch id begin to work again...

Not sure what the issue is...

7. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I have had the same issue here as well. It stopped reading my finger and no matter if my hands were dry, or pressed on the button perfectly, it would not read no matter what. I simply deleted the print, rescanned it, and we were back to normal. Just my 2 cents.

8. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

If you dont sign into the phone using touch ID for a set anount of time it will default to the passcode. This i believe is incase someone has stollen the phone and attempts to duplicate a fingerprint.

I thought the time for this was about 6 hours though

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Password is required no matter what after a restart. Only after you input the password you will be able to use Touch ID.

10. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Didn't restart. And it is not that the phone is giving me an error when reading the print, it is not even attempting to read it.

11. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Interesting. Care to explain?

12. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Clean the Touch ID button. When I start getting "Try Again"s I wipe it clean and have no problems.

13. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

But these are not "try agains". These are "there is no finger on the home button".

14. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

15. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

You might try putting in multiple copies of the finger you most want to use to activate the phone.

For some strange reason my right index finger will work every time but my right thumb doesn't want to work nearly as well. An Apple genius told me to try to put in more copies of my thumb and when I did it went to about a 99% success rate. It gives the phone more copies to work from.

16. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Verifying my finger print is not the problem. It is getting the phone to know that I want it to read my fingerprint in the first place.

17. bkribbs macrumors 65816

It's actually more like 48 hours or a restart.

I've had it just not acknowledge my finger as well, but simply turning the screen off and back on has resolved my problems.

18. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Mine has had some....mishaps as well. And these aren't like "I haven't used my phone in 48 hours" or "I just restarted it" these are the scanner isn't reading it sometimes.

I'm one of those people who keeps their stuff really clean (I also rock my phone's naked) and stuff so I really don't think it's dirt/grease......but every so often it won't recognize my thumb (it doesn't say "try again" - it just doesn't recognize a finger) 2-3 times in a row. I'll just enter my password that time as I notice it's not working. It's not all the time but it may get more annoying over time. Happens 1-3 times a day so far

To be honest I think it's just the fingerprint scanner. Just like it doesn't scan your finger correctly 100% of the time...I guess it doesn't have to work altogether 100% of the time. I'm still relatively happy as long as it's right 9/10 times

19. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think it is more an issue with the capacitive ring around the sensor. That is what tells the sensor to scan.

My phone has been dead for a while so I don't know if the issue is still happening. Had to wait until I got to the office to get my charger. (Insert stupid rant about dumb apple changing the port just to make me buy new accessories and totally ignore the advances that the change actually makes)

20. richard371 macrumors 68000

With one of each finger registered in have a bout 95% success. Now I just have both thumbs registered twice and I'm getting pretty much 100% accuracy.

21. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

So I charged my phone and it failed to even attempt to read my finger 2 more times today.

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Same finger or different finger?

Make sure the home button sensor and ring are clean.

You could try a wipe & firmware restore.

Otherwise, it's time for a Genius Bar appointment and potential replacement. Although I haven't read about a fingerprint scanner failure yet here on MR, it's bound to happen.

23. yogibeartacodog macrumors member

24. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Have you tried restarting? I was having all kinds of issues after the 7.0.3 update. My 5s was pausing all the time. Touch id was failing a lot. I restarted the phone and now everything is working perfectly again.

25. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have. It didn't seem to help.