I think PkgBackup screwed me

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by murdercitydevil, Oct 11, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I replaced my old ip4 today and got a new one running 4.0.2. On my previous phone I made a backup with pkgbackup and saved it in iTunes. On the new phone, updated to 4.1, JB with limera1n, and reinstalled pkgbackup, but it doesn't see my old backup. It's there in my contacts and everything, but it doesn't see it. Tried reinstallig pkgbackup, tried rebooting, tried remaking the contact, nothing works. What can I do? This sucks...I had so much JB stuff installed, I didn't bother making a list because I trusted this app to work.

2. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

IIRC it's not working on 4.1 yet :rolleyes:

3. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

This is the first I've heard about this...you'd think with the JB craze the last few days someone would mention it. Are you saying, then, that an update to the app will let it see the backup contact?

I don't even feel like waiting because it could be weeks before it's done...I need my JB stuff now, I guess time to reinstall one by one. ****.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Cardinal rule of going to a new jailbreak:

Always make sure that the important packages you need to run are compatible with the new iOS version and the new jailbreak.

The only person to blame here is you. Did you verify that PkgBackup was compatible with the new iOS version and the new jailbreak? Nope....

This is why I am sitting on the sidelines waiting for a good while. This frenzy needs to quiet down a bit before I move forward.

S-

5. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

yeah, I know. Lesson learned I suppose. I asked the developer when he plans to update it...hopefully he replies that it will be soon.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

You need to rename the backup. I had the same problem when I replaced my iphone 4. Rename it to first name: Pkg, last name: Backup. Right now it's called Pkg_lots of characters Backup - that's your problem. The "lots of characters" is pointing to your old device so once you rename the contact to Pkg Backup, you can run a restore and Pkgbackup will see your backup.

7. geko29 macrumors 6502

It works just fine. I've used it several times today (actually just bought it for this express purpose). It restored everything except WeatherElementHD (though the settings for it were retained after I manually reinstalled) and stuff that explicitly doesn't support 4.1 like FolderEnhancer and PDF Exploit patch.

murdercitydevil, in going through your list of actions, I don't see where you restored your backup (from iTunes) before running pkgbackup.

8. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Thank you thank you thank you! It recognizes the backup now. If I could rep you I certainly would.

9. hidefguy macrumors 6502

Worked for me also. Had zero issues and saved me hours of setup time, everything was put back to the state that it was in before I restored and jailbroke. Also like the poster stated above it did not install apps that are not compatible ie did not install "FolderEnhancer".

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

No worries - happy to help:). I went through the same frustration and the solution was so simple. It's actually in the FAQ that you can link to through the app, but I was misreading it and not renaming the backup properly (guess my reading skills aren't as good as I thought they were). Anyway, glad it worked for you. Pkgbackup is an awesome app for sure and I'll be using it again once the dev team releases their jb (not too keen on using limera1n).

11. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I actually was wary of limera1n as well but it turned out to be very smooth. Not as elegant as jailbreakme.com, but it got the job done. No problems here, can't tell the difference between this and the old JB. Hopefully the phone stays stable. But when GP comes out I will probably use that; now that I know how to work pkgbackup it should be pretty simple.

12. psywzrd macrumors 68030

That's good to know. If I get impatient and just can't wait for GP, I may take give it a shot. I've just heard of people having problems with his jbs in the past and that makes me a bit nervous. I've never had any real issues with pwnage or jailbreakme so I'm just more comfortable with the dev team's work. I am dying for the bluetooth and proximity sensor fixes though.

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Can you select what apps to reinstall and what apps not to with this? I think updating is a good way to clear out all the extra crap but I'm looking for something to reinstall all the mandatory stuff

14. hlkc macrumors regular

psywzrd,

I about to upgrade 4.1 via Limera1n and use Pkgbackup to restore all the 4.01 JB apps. Few questions...

1) Am I just rename the name inside my contact, first to last and last to first, and use that as a source to backup? I do have 2 entries there, one is Pkg as first and Backup as last name and the other one is Pkg_lots of characters. Which one should I change the name order?

2) Did all the setting restore too? Which apps are you running in problem(s)?

Thanks for the help in advance.

15. psywzrd macrumors 68030

You only need to change the name of the backup if you're restoring to s different device. If you're restoring to the same device that you created your backup on, it'll work fine.

16. hlkc macrumors regular

Ok that's cool.

Just to make sure before I pull my trigger...

iTunes download 4.1, restore, back up and Pkgbackup. After that upgrade 4.1 via iTunes and use Limera1n to JB. After that download Cydia and after Cydia installed, download Pkgbackup and use restore the latest and all 4.01 JB apps and setting should be there, right?

Thanks again!

17. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

Apologies...dear knows where I read that! :rolleyes:

18. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

I dont see the point in pkgbackup when its not supported once you need it the most. Rock had a backup solution and cydia is getting one soon. I like those better.

19. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm sorry but I don't know the proper procedure for limera1n (waiting for GP for Mac come out). Anyway, for pkgbackup make sure you run a backup via the app before you start your jb procedure, and make sure that the contact that is created is backed up via itunes or however you sync your contacts. Once you jb with limera1n, install pkgbackup again via Cydia (that should be the first thing you do with Cydia once you jb). Then you have to make sure that the contact that was created by pkgbackup is synced to the phone somehow (again, using itunes, mobileme, google sync, etc.). Once that contact is on your phone, all you have to do is run a restore in pkgbackup and it will install all of your jb apps and non-standard repos.

20. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Not sure if you read the entire thread but pkgbackup appears to be working just fine. It's the best solution available and there's no sense in waiting on Cydia's solution since we have no idea when/if that will even be released.

21. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

Pkgbackup works 100% in 4.1 I've just used it.

Maybe some people have a cracked version which doesn't work on 4.1 but the offical version does.

22. Gavernty macrumors 6502

pkgbackup is working fine, my phone is running 4.1 with all the packages I had previously on 4.0.1 thanks to pkgbackup. It's like I never restored

23. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Yeah, the bottom line of this thread is that pkgbackup works FINE. It wasn't even a 4.1 compatibility issue, it was the issue of transferring one phone's backup to a brand new phone. I mentioned in my OP that I got a brand new phone and restored the old one's backup.