I think the infrared on my mac mini is busted?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by KyleHarrison, Dec 7, 2009.

1. KyleHarrison macrumors newbie

But I don't know how to tell, is the problem :/

in the previous residence I lived in, I had my macmini in the downstairs and y iMac in the upstairs in my room. Simply by carrying the apple remote with me I was able to control both separately without any reconfiguration or problems.

I then moved and had to leave the mini behind for 2 months, but I've retrived it since, so I hooked it up to my tv with the intent of being a central movie player, and for whatever reason I can't get the remote to spark ANY reaction from the mac mini whatsoever. However the iMac reacted to every button press (they both occupy the same living room now)

I went into the securty panel in the iMac and force paired it (holding menu and Next tgether) then unpaired and disabled any remote capability from it. Now when I go to the mini, still no reaction from the mini at all.

Is my infrared busted? How do I tell??

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

On the Mini, try disabling, then re-enabling the infrared receiver (System Preferences > Security, General. Also, verify that the IR receiver is active on the USB bus. If it's not there, try resetting the PRAM.

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Funny, I think mine is busted too. Just stopped working yesterday :( I JUST got this thing in May. I followed the same steps as the OP to troubleshoot but still nothing.

How do you do this?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

oops. Meant to put that part in.

It's in System Profiler. You can get to it by :apple:menu > About This Mac, click "More Info..." Alternately, hold down the "option" while opening the :apple:menu, then select "System Profiler..."

Under "Hardware", select "USB" from the list on the left. It should look like this:

Attached Files:

5. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Looks like everything is OK?

Attached Files:

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

At least as far as it being properly detected as an active h/w device.

7. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

cool, thanks