I think the iPhone could use an interface makeover...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jan 14, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The iPhone's about a year-and-a-half old now and the OS is starting to look pretty dated now. I think they should make it look more modern (I'm thinking MobileMe web interface here). Looking at the home screen with just little square icons on a black background looks kinda cheesy.

Anyone else feeling like the iPhone OS could use a new interface?

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I was hoping that they would introduce some sort of dock (w/o JB of course) so users could pick and choose the apps that were visible. enable resizing as well....

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You'd think something different would be refreshing, but after jailbreaking and trying different themes and looking across different sites at what people have come up with and Apple's interface is still the best IMO.

4. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Id still like to see what else apple could come up with...

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That just lets you change the way the icons look, doesn't it? Who cares? I think of 'interface makeover' meaning the way things actually work.

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

7. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I'm pretty happy with the interface, but I have only had it since August 08.

One thing that bothers me thou is unlogical things in the GUI it self, like changing the EQ for the iPod should be in the iPod app imho.
    But it's not a big deal because I set the EQ mode in iTunes and keep it off on the iPhone, that way it changes by itself.

8. iphoneCraze1080 macrumors newbie

Hey I still like the interface...And hope they will just try to add more features like mail search, push notification. But other than that this classic interface is all I prefer.

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I know Apple's interface is the best. If *Apple* changed the interface, it most likely won't look like the crappy themes people make. It would most likely look "complete" since it's Apple doing it and not hackers/wannabe-interface-designers. There are a couple of themes that look good, but the fact is... it's almost impossible to make it look good passed the home screen. There's lots of glitches and performance drawbacks to using WinterBoard. That's why I'd rather have Apple do it.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You're right. I thought about that after I had posted. I'd be interested to see what they could come up with.

11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

There really is no reason for it to change. Its functional and easy to use for most people.

12. shk718 macrumors 65816

i think there are two interface changes they should make:

1. allow us to put small widgets on the unlock screen
    2. allow for backgrounds on the application pages.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

People do like to customize their phones.

It think one holdback is, if Apple allowed what is available on other devices... such as custom lock screen information / today screen... backgrounds... different app launchers... then the iPhone stands a strong chance of ending up looking like many other phones that have had years of customization available.

And that, far more than the fanboys' mistaken idea about no-keyboards-ever, is something that Apple could not stand to happen.

For instance, it surely won't be long before someone comes up with a Palm Pre theme and launcher for WinMo phones. Now imagine if iPhone owners had the same freedom of choice. Holy smokes, Jobs would spin in his bed if he heard of iPhones being shown off with a Palm theme !! :)

(with tongue slightly in cheek)

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't see much wrong, but there are definitely some tweaks that could be done.

I would love to see shortcuts available. Every time I use my Jabra bluetooth headset, I have to go to settings, Bluetooth, unpair it, then pair it again. There needs to be a way to have an icon skip a couple of those steps. On the Razr UI, I could set "Bluetooth" to one of the shortcut buttons to save a couple of steps.

I think the idea of backgrounds is good. I don't really mind the black background because I'm not looking at it very often, but I don't see an issue with offering a choice.

One other feature would be a way inside iTunes to arrange the icons how you want. It takes FOREVER to move stuff around on the phone, and everything will get messed up if you add a new game, then move it back 5 pages and shift a bunch of crap down a page or two. UGH.

15. Doju macrumors 68000

It works, but it`s getting a bit old. I'm thinking a la N97.

I'd love my RSS feeds, recent messages, etc. on the home screen as well. Only having apps is a bit limited.

16. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

This is what I want:

1. Widgets on the unlock screen

2. No more endless pages of apps

3. Instead I would like to see a organization system, that is similar to the Finder, a folder that has all of the apps in it, but they are subdivided into categories like, office apps, utilities, games. Kind of like what we have in OS X.

4. a more intuitive way to change settings. Say I want to change my WiFi settings, I would just tap the Wifi symbol up on the Info bar (top of the screen), instead of having to open settings then go to WiFi.

5. A scrollable Dock that has your favorite apps in it so you don't have to go into the app folder.

Pretty much, I just want the iPhone to have close to the same UI as OS X does. I know that its a pipe dream.

Don

17. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Why do you say no? The current interface looks like it was designed for a 2 year old to use.

Don

18. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I totally disagree!!

I remember when I first got my first-gen iPhone in 2007. The screen and icons were so pin sharp it looked like a printed sticker on the glass

But I work for a major mobile phone company and you should see just how awful looking the interface of some of the other phones are. Check out the new Night Effect Emporio Armani phone from Samsung for a truly dreadful looking interface on a nice looking 2009 phone.

Apple doesn't need to change the interface yet as very few other manufacturers have caught them up.

19. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Its pretty but not practical. Its stupid to have to exit the ipod app and go into settings to adjust my EQ settings.

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

As Stephen Fry once said,
    http://daringfireball.net/2007/11/apple_needs_a_nikon
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/oct/27/gadgets.digitalmedia

21. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

For better or worse, other manufacturers refuse to remove enough functionality to act like the basic iPhone UI. They continue to find ways to keep it all, but make it look nicer. After some false starts, they're beginning to succeed.

Bingo. Same for other apps. Poor UI design, when they could easily have had all options on the "backside" of each app or some other cute, but more useful, metaphor.

Shoving things off to a separate "Control Panel" is old style and awkward. I suppose it made sense when Apple thought they'd never have more than a dozen apps onboad.

If every one of hundreds of apps had their settings over there, it would be messy and hard to find what you want. You should only ever need look at, exactly what you want to look at.

23. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Exactly what I was thinking too! I think the dock always looked a little out dated and I always wanted this keyboard as my main texting keyboard ( did a quick photoshop job )

[​IMG]

maybe with the top bar glossy black also :)