Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
The iPhone may be announced on Monday, but I still think we have weeks to wait before they go on sale. No boxes have been delivered to o2, AT&T etc (we'd know about it with all the employees on here), the staff would have been told to make sure they are available to work on Monday and we would have just heard more things about a release of the iPhone on Monday.

My guess is that we here about it on Monday and it's released June 19th.

My friend who works for AT&T said he didn't get the iPhones delivered until the day it launched. I did find that they are getting overnight security guards on Sunday.

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
haha yeah SR...

But gloss...

First of all. You mean weeks.

Second of all. Apple needs to train and deploy these new iPhones to AT&T stores. This is easier said than done.

Trust me, it's June 27th. I'd kill myself if it wasn't. I've had that in my sig since February :D

There was no training on the iphone for AT&T employees last year.

zmit

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
June 19th qualifies for late june though.

announce on the 9th, get WORLDWIDE PRESS! (yes... you guys are so close minded you dont even consider that option) and then the hype builds until the 19th. worldwide release, firmware 2.0, the FIRST EVER apple store in the southern hemisphere (read: this has nothing to do with australia anymore... its the first in the southern hemisphere! thats big news)

fuzzwart

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
There was no training on the iphone for AT&T employees last year.

Why would there be any training? They can't activate it anyway! I talked to my local AT&T rep and they said that they would not receive the phones until the launch just like last year. So, I still think that Monday is a possibility.

1) Ship iPhones to US retail locations for Sunday night.
2) Allow one iPhone per store to be activated early so there is someone who can parade it around.
3) Launch 2.0 and the 3G iPhone for the US on Monday at 9AM PST.
4) Offer it to WWDC attendees at a significant discount.
5) Continue the phone launch in stages around the world.

IMHO, the staged approach makes the most sense.

Then again, they could run into a significant technical snag which would postpone the launch indefinitely - :rolleyes:

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
There was indeed training...

Each AT&T store got a training booklet on the iPhone itself. It had things what to say to customers, and a questionnaire, so if the customer asked a question, they had to respond. Like if the iPhone had GPS. There would be a response to it.

Get your facts straight..

Corbet

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
The iPhone may be announced on Monday, but I still think we have weeks to wait before they go on sale. No boxes have been delivered to o2, AT&T etc (we'd know about it with all the employees on here), the staff would have been told to make sure they are available to work on Monday and we would have just heard more things about a release of the iPhone on Monday.

My guess is that we here about it on Monday and it's released June 19th.

I heard this rumor that there's this new service called overnight shipping that ensures shipments are received on a certain time, even with specific times of delivery.

thaevster

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2007
VA
true but...

for what its worth...............

during the march 6th townhall event Steve Jobs himself said that they wont be releasing 2.0 until late June........ i dont think he will release the 3G iphone without releasing 2.0.. and i dont think June 9th would qualify as late June.

2e34dnm.jpg

While this is certainly true and a good point, Apple has released things early before:rolleyes:

I'm crazy excited and can't wait to get the HECK away from Alltel (although they've just been bought) I am seriously hoping that it is available next week but I also wouldn't be surprised (but terribly disappointed) if it wasn't available for some time.

P.S. VISTA??? Really??????

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I heard this rumor that there's this new service called overnight shipping that ensures shipments are received on a certain time, even with specific times of delivery.

Not to mention, there are certain *other* stores which can sell the things while AT&T's shipments are on their way...ones a little more affiliated with Apple...

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
While this is certainly true and a good point, Apple has released things early before:rolleyes:

I'm crazy excited and can't wait to get the HECK away from Alltel (although they've just been bought) I am seriously hoping that it is available next week but I also wouldn't be surprised (but terribly disappointed) if it wasn't available for some time.

P.S. VISTA??? Really??????
Isn't the release of the phone and V2 of the OS orthogonal? Apple could just release the iPhone on whatever version of the hardware they have ready, then upgrade that whenever it's ready...

Chrisrokc

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
I bet the phone comes with a version of the 2.0 installed. However when we plug it in to activate it the full release will be put onto the phone straight from apple.

Even though in this presentation says late june nothing is final in the IT world. Dates can be pushed back and brought forward. Hell look at the leopard release and apple tv software.

I bet it is ready for prime time. We will see on monday!

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
There was indeed training...

Each AT&T store got a training booklet on the iPhone itself. It had things what to say to customers, and a questionnaire, so if the customer asked a question, they had to respond. Like if the iPhone had GPS. There would be a response to it.

Get your facts straight..

umm not the store here in CT...so NOT every store got training on it.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I don't think Steve Jobs would release something early. With that being said, I said June 18th-June 25th.

I doubt he'll surprise us with an early release of anything.

Hopefully I'm wrong!! Praying for a early-mid june iPhone!

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
.. and i dont think June 9th would qualify as late June.

2e34dnm.jpg

You never know, after all the release of a beta SDK was meant to be in developers hands by 'End of Feburary' ... the event was on March 6th, and the SDK was released as a beta on that day. Obviously Early March = Late February to Apple.

Apple seem to be breaking their word lately as far as keynote slides/date announcements go.

Also to note: In Apple's PR release about the iPhone v2.0 Software Update it states by the end of June,
which essentially could if indicative of a release on any day, before June 29th.

"Apple plans to release the final iPhone 2.0 software, including the iPhone SDK and new enterprise features,
as a free software update for all iPhone customers by the end of June."

Lets just wait and see.

R-Fly

LowMach

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
My friend who works for AT&T said he didn't get the iPhones delivered until the day it launched. I did find that they are getting overnight security guards on Sunday.

overnight security guards on Sunday? thats pretty interesting! wouldn't it be hilarious to see them on ebay before a retailer had them. in a awkward(being that thieves suck)way that would make me laugh.

MegaMan1311

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
USA
Really? I did not know that AT&T and Apple used overnight shipping. You would think that it would be very expensive to do something like that.

Hmm... There may still be hope for an Monday / Tuesday release! I didn't expect it until the 16th, but with this development, Monday / Tuesday sounds more likely than it did before.

Bosox3

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I was talking to an att rep during lunch at my local store. He said he knew nothing, only that corporate said no time off will be granted the week of June 9th-15th.

so they will be fully staffed next week......for the release of the Iphone?? only time will tell.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I was talking to an att rep during lunch at my local store. He said he knew nothing, only that corporate said no time off will be granted the week of June 9th-15th.

so they will be fully staffed next week......for the release of the Iphone?? only time will tell.

Just for kicks, obviously. :)

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
This is exciting stuff. The anticipation, the not knowing, the rumors, the arguments.

It'll be kinda sad when it's over :rolleyes:

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.

:D

Someone a few days ago was saying the exact same thing but 16th-20th week

Seems AT&T people are telling others different things :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.