iPad I Thought iPad Air 2 Is More Fingerprint Resistent?

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Just got my iPad Air 2 today and i noticed its very very prone to fingerprints.

I thought one of the advantages of oleophobic is that the screen shows less fingerprints?

I used to have an iPad 3 and i didnt notice it as much on it. Do you think the oleophobic layer on my new iPad may be messed up?

Its especially annoying on white background because of all those smudges. meh

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009

I thought one of the advantages of oleophobic is that the screen shows less fingerprints?

I used to have an iPad 3 and i didnt notice it as much on it. Do you think the oleophobic layer on my new iPad may be messed up?

Its especially annoying on white background because of all those smudges. meh
I've just gone from iPad 3 to Air 2 and have found the opposite, it doesn't seem to smudge as much and the anti reflective coating makes reading against a white background very nice. Perhaps we have different body chemistry ;)

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Fresh wiped screen before

After checking Facebook and navigating to this thread on macrumors. So like 20 secs later

And nope no sweaty food fingers. I dont do food and apple devices

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA

It is supposed to help reduce fingerprints as well as aid in the cleaning of the screen. Regardless, I pretty much have to clean my iPad Air 2's screen at least once a day to remove fingerprints/smudges dust etc... just as I have had to do with every iPhone and iPad I had owned. Apple has been putting oleophobic coatings on the screens since the iPhone 3GS I believe.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I think so ... The screen also "feels" different almost sticky
Yes, I did notice at first my finger didn't glide as easy across the screen as compared to my former iPad's. I don't notice it now maybe because the screen is oiled up from my fingers. :eek:

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
i've noticed this as well. i presume the anti-reflective coating might have replaced the oleophobic fingerprint-resistent coating.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The Air 2 is only more resistant to glare and reflections. All touch screen devices get finger prints, although I will note that when I had my Air 2 it smudged worse than my iPad 3, but not to where it interfered with the usage of the device.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I'd say yes, it shows smudges more easily with the anti-glare coating.

However, the anti glare is totally worth it. It is one of the biggest upgrades from previous iPads after you use it for awhile. Love it.

Buy a couple little microfiber towels, they'll get rid of those smudges very easily.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I'd say yes, it shows smudges more easily with the anti-glare coating.

However, the anti glare is totally worth it. It is one of the biggest upgrades from previous iPads after you use it for awhile. Love it.
Hard for me to judge yet. I havent seen the sun in like 2 months :D

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Get a Matte screen protector. No more fingerprints!
Nah, screen protectors reduce the quality of the image which is not what you want with such a good screen. Just keep the screen wiped with dry microfiber towels that someone here mentioned. That's all ya gotta do.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Nah, screen protectors reduce the quality of the image which is not what you want with such a good screen. Just keep the screen wiped with dry microfiber towels that someone here mentioned. That's all ya gotta do.
Hmm, i've had the opposite experience. I always use good quality clear screen protectors and have never had image quality issues. In fact sometimes I forget that there's a screen protector on. :)

ttran88

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
I use a tempered glass protector with an oleophobic coating and it doesn't decrease the quality of the screen one bit

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Mine was only slightly more fingerprint attractive -- certainly nothing for me to worry with.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I noticed the same smudges. Yes, they are much more apparent on a white background. Mine looked like shadows. I put a clear screen protector on. The smudges bothered me a lot. I found myself constantly wiping them.

Putting the screen protector caused me to lose the anti-glare properties but it was well worth it. I only noticed the anti-glare working when outside on the patio and frankly I'm not outside with it that often.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I noticed the same smudges. Yes, they are much more apparent on a white background. Mine looked like shadows
yep they are by far more noticeable than on my old iPad 3. maybe i should get a skin for the display too. its distracting when i read my slides from class on it that way

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
I haven't noticed any difference between my Air and Air 2. I'm compulsive though and only use the iPad with clean hands and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth after use.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
yep they are by far more noticeable than on my old iPad 3. maybe i should get a skin for the display too. its distracting when i read my slides from class on it that way

A screen protector will solve the issue. Good ones don't detract from the display and feel just as good or better to the finger.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
A screen protector will solve the issue. Good ones don't detract from the display and feel just as good or better to the finger.
Yes I got a cheap smart case today and it came unexpectedly with a screen protester and it's so much better now

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Fingerprints have been an apple trademark for years. Seems good design includes fingerprints?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.