iPad I Thought iPad Air 2 Is More Fingerprint Resistent?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bushido, Nov 19, 2014.

1. bushido Suspended

bushido

Just got my iPad Air 2 today and i noticed its very very prone to fingerprints.

I thought one of the advantages of oleophobic is that the screen shows less fingerprints?

I used to have an iPad 3 and i didnt notice it as much on it. Do you think the oleophobic layer on my new iPad may be messed up?

Its especially annoying on white background because of all those smudges. meh

2. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

I've just gone from iPad 3 to Air 2 and have found the opposite, it doesn't seem to smudge as much and the anti reflective coating makes reading against a white background very nice. Perhaps we have different body chemistry ;)

3. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

Fresh wiped screen before

[​IMG]

After checking Facebook and navigating to this thread on macrumors. So like 20 secs later

[​IMG]

And nope no sweaty food fingers. I dont do food and apple devices

4. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Looks normal to me. Maybe the anti-reflective coating makes it more noticeable?

5. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

I think so ... The screen also "feels" different almost sticky

6. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

It is supposed to help reduce fingerprints as well as aid in the cleaning of the screen. Regardless, I pretty much have to clean my iPad Air 2's screen at least once a day to remove fingerprints/smudges dust etc... just as I have had to do with every iPhone and iPad I had owned. Apple has been putting oleophobic coatings on the screens since the iPhone 3GS I believe.

7. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Yes, I did notice at first my finger didn't glide as easy across the screen as compared to my former iPad's. I don't notice it now maybe because the screen is oiled up from my fingers. :eek:

8. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

i've noticed this as well. i presume the anti-reflective coating might have replaced the oleophobic fingerprint-resistent coating.

9. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I use my iPad a lot and the fingerprints ion my iPad 2 are basically the same as they were on the iPad 4, 3, 1, mini and mini 2 before it

10. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

The Air 2 is only more resistant to glare and reflections. All touch screen devices get finger prints, although I will note that when I had my Air 2 it smudged worse than my iPad 3, but not to where it interfered with the usage of the device.

11. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I'd say yes, it shows smudges more easily with the anti-glare coating.

However, the anti glare is totally worth it. It is one of the biggest upgrades from previous iPads after you use it for awhile. Love it.

Buy a couple little microfiber towels, they'll get rid of those smudges very easily.

12. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

Hard for me to judge yet. I havent seen the sun in like 2 months :D

13. masands macrumors regular

Get a Matte screen protector. No more fingerprints!

14. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Nah, screen protectors reduce the quality of the image which is not what you want with such a good screen. Just keep the screen wiped with dry microfiber towels that someone here mentioned. That's all ya gotta do.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

Hmm, i've had the opposite experience. I always use good quality clear screen protectors and have never had image quality issues. In fact sometimes I forget that there's a screen protector on. :)

16. ttran88 macrumors regular

I use a tempered glass protector with an oleophobic coating and it doesn't decrease the quality of the screen one bit

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Mine was only slightly more fingerprint attractive -- certainly nothing for me to worry with.

18. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

OP, take a picture of the screen when it's lit up (aka actually in use). Do you still see fingerprints? :D

19. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

Yes especially on white sites like macrumors but I guess I'll get used to it.

20. donnaw macrumors 65816

I noticed the same smudges. Yes, they are much more apparent on a white background. Mine looked like shadows. I put a clear screen protector on. The smudges bothered me a lot. I found myself constantly wiping them.

Putting the screen protector caused me to lose the anti-glare properties but it was well worth it. I only noticed the anti-glare working when outside on the patio and frankly I'm not outside with it that often.

21. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

yep they are by far more noticeable than on my old iPad 3. maybe i should get a skin for the display too. its distracting when i read my slides from class on it that way

[​IMG]

22. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I haven't noticed any difference between my Air and Air 2. I'm compulsive though and only use the iPad with clean hands and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth after use.

23. donnaw macrumors 65816

A screen protector will solve the issue. Good ones don't detract from the display and feel just as good or better to the finger.

24. bushido thread starter Suspended

bushido

Yes I got a cheap smart case today and it came unexpectedly with a screen protester and it's so much better now

25. ZipZap macrumors 603

Fingerprints have been an apple trademark for years. Seems good design includes fingerprints?