I thought it would be tough getting 4s Friday

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flybub, Oct 12, 2011.

1. flybub macrumors regular

I was one who did not pre-order the 4s. I have never had an iPhone (i'm on a Droid Incredible now) and have heard about the stories of people camping out in front of the stores to be sure to get a phone. Today I called my local Verizon store to see if they would have the 4s for purchase on Friday and this was the conversation:

Me: Hi I was wondering if your store would have the iPhone 4s available for purchase on Friday?
    Rep: Yes we will. Would you like to reserve one?

Me: Definately, I will take a Black 32 GB if possible.
    Rep: No problem. I will get your information and it will be ready for pickup after 10am.

I gave him my information and that was that. Easy enough, sometimes it does pay to wait for things. Who knew??

I'm really looking forward to the iOS experience.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, double check on that. Carriers normally do it first come first serve, I haven't heard of any store so far doing reservations (we would have threads here about it).

Double check in case I am wrong.

3. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I was told the same today with my carrier, to just come in Friday, which I am doing :)

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lol, good luck! She probably received a billion of those calls today and got annoyed and tired to get you off the line.

5. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Few things.

1. This phone isn't bringing in a ton of new customers, rather, many repeat customers.

2. Apple has done a better job with production.

3. A lot of people who wanted their phone have used past experiences as reason for preorders which will cut down on demand in store.

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

Exactly. Its first come this year.

7. rkahl macrumors 65816

Be sure to check back with us and tell us how it goes please.

8. spar13 macrumors newbie

As I said in another thread.
    1. iPhone 3G from Apple store, I got there at 3 AM and about a hundred people were in line
    2. iPhone 3GS from Apple store, I got there at 2:30 AM in hope of less people, I was second in line
    3. iPhone 4 from Apple store, I got there around 2 AM, at least 500 people in line.
    4. iPhone 4s from Apple.com, Swag
    I'm assuming that there will be less people this year than previous years. Anyways, If you reserve it, they will hold it for you for 48 hours upfront. If you don't pick it up in that time, the reservation gets removed and it becomes up free for people who didn't reserve it.

9. sam2428 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be too worried. I plan on picking one up on Friday myself. There are so many different retailers aside from the Apple store that will have the phone available on launch (Best Buy, Walmart, Radioshack, Sams club, AT&T, Sprint, & Verizon). So that right there is 8 different places to go (i might have missed some?)

That plus, since there is no redesign, many of the parts have been in production for a long time, so I really do not anticipate a shortage of stock.

Also as mentioned above, so many people pre-ordered just to not have to deal with the waiting in lines, etc. There will be those who are camping for fun, but i dont think it will be anything ridiculous.

And if there is....oh well...ill have to wait a couple of days. No big deal.

10. sidney87crosby macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to me today. I walked into a Verizon store, asked if they were getting the iPhone 4s, they said yes. Then I asked if they could hold a 32gb black iPhone 4s for me to pick up tomorrow. It was not a problem. So it worked out for me. But I called another Verizon store around me and they said its first come first serve.

Its weird.

11. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

i hope this works out for you. pre-order calls never worked for me. glad you want the iOS experience.

12. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Same for me. My Verizon sales rep told me she was getting to work at 7am tomorrow and would get my phone prepped for me so I could just walk in and get it later in the day. I'm adding a line to Verizon family plan, and she is charging my account so I don't even have to pay for it tomorrow. I'll get it on the next bill.

I'm not overly optimistic about it, but I am hopeful it works as she says. We'll see tomorrow!

13. Cuneyd macrumors member

i just called sprint and they said they dont do reservations just so you guys know

14. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Im not relying on anyone to "hold" me a phone--Im waiting in line starting about 7PM tonight! I will have one!

15. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Well, it went as smoothly as the sales rep promised. I got up this morning and first thing I did was log on to my verizon account and the phone had already been added/set up. Walked in the store a bit after 9am, she already had it in a bag with my name on it and paperwork completed. Took 2 minutes, walked out. Store was not crowded at all.