I thought the Snow Leopard Graphics Update would fix this...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illicit2k1, Aug 26, 2010.

1. illicit2k1 macrumors newbie

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4286

"Resolves an image corruption issue that may occur when disconnecting and reconnecting external displays while the system is running."

---

I'm still having this issue after installing this update. 17" Aluminum MB Pro (Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2), Acer 22" Monitor (AL2216W), hooked up via DVI with Apple MiniDP-DVI adapter.

Happens when disconnect/reconnect, or wake up from sleep. Doesn't reproduce every single time, I'd say about 50%. Happens when using 9400m and 9600mGT.

[​IMG]

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The miniDP has been hit and miss for me as well.

3. illicit2k1 thread starter macrumors newbie

are you having the same "static" as pictured?

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I saw this on my external monitor the other day, it was only once and it works fine so far. Fingers crossed.
    I'm using a minidisplay to hdmi adapter + hdmi to dvi adapter.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah; this static is on the external monitor right?

Anyways, unplugging and plugging it back in almost always fixes it for me.

6. illicit2k1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yup, external only. Unplugging and plugging does fix it, but it's very annoying.

7. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I get exactly this on my late 2009 iMac i7 as well. I use an external monitor, and sometimes (2-3 times in a year now I think) I get this static. It's happening when I've had the screen turned off and power it on again.

As you said, the solution is to just unplug it and plug it in again. While it's a bit annoying, it's not so bad either since it's several months apart when it happens :)

8. illicit2k1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya unfortunately this is a daily recurring issue for me :(

9. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Same thing happens to me with my MBP connected to a 24" external monitor through the Mini DVI to DVI connector. I just let it sit for about 5 seconds and it corrects itself.

Not a big deal to me.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've had this happen on three separate MBPs for a couple of years now.

I set up a hot corner (top left, activated with Option) to sleep the displays, so when this happens I just move the cursor up. It's always ok after that. Easier than unplugging the cable.

11. advres Guest

advres

This still happens to me 100% of the time with a mini of mine every time I try to wake it from sleep. Even with the update. I resolve it by cycling the power button on the screen off and then back on and it fixes it until the next time I try to wake it up from screen sleep.

12. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I have had the same issue with my acer monitor on my mp since I got it (mar 2009), you learn to live with it....

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What you have there is not an image corruption, it is an HDCP connection not properly configured. Since HDCP requires an encoder in the computer and a decoder in the monitor, it is impossible to say whose fault it is.

14. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

This is what I thought as well when I saw the picture.

15. illicit2k1 thread starter macrumors newbie

are there any log files on the system that would show HDCP connection failures?

16. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Almost a year later and the problem isn't fixed. Happens also on a Mac Pro 2010. Apple sent me a new ATI 5870 and the problems is even worse. Using a hot corner to put the monitor to sleep and then wake back up restores the screen, but Apple should be able to figure this HDCP thing out.

Does anyone know if it is worse on a dvi than the display-port connector?

17. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

I have a flashed Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X card in my MP '08 octo, it does this static thing too when waking from sleep, just hitting the power button on the monitor twice solves it, no biggy to me at all.
    I assumed it was because I had flashed drivers but apparently not.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

This happens to me on a (pretty much) daily basis, with my MBP hooked up to an external monitor. When it happens, I have to put the MBP back to sleep, wait 10 seconds, and then wake it again. Quite annoying.

19. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

It happens to me too (2009 15 MBP) with a Samsung XL2370. I'm using a miniDP to DVI. Sometimes I get garbled video, and have to turn off-on the monitor, or wait something like 10 seconds for it to re-sync. Doesn't happen all the time, it's hit or miss.

Oh, and I'm running Lion 10.7 as well.

Happens with the internal 9400M or the 9600GT discrete card.