I threw p on this acbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Doogie44, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Doogie44 macrumors newbie

Sorry about the horrible topic title, my keyboard isn't working great, and for some reason I couldn't paste the right letters in the title.

Anyways, I threw up on my macbook (don't ask). Now, the u, m, apostrophe, up down arrow keys, left command, and a few other keys don't work. They don't stick or anything, but nothing happens most of the time.. Sometimes when I hit m the place to select my home page will come p, or 4 letters like eqrtwy will pop p, so the keys are somewhat functional.. This is probably a pretty big problem that wont be able to be fixed, bt I thought Id post here anyways.

How much do you think this is going to set me back..?

Oh yeah, its one of the 13 inch unibody ones.

Thanks in advance.

Edit.. sigh, forgot to mention the trackpad doesn't click well at the top anymore.. not a big deal, bt its a problem.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Grooooooody!

I would think it would cost you a few hundred, as a full disassembly of the machine is required.

May I ask how you managed to vom on your 'book?

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

After reading the OP's post I now have the same problem. Should not have eaten right before reading it. J/K :D

4. DVNO macrumors newbie

This is a pretty epic story. I doubt it would be covered by applecare, but I would call anyway. It would be worth the time just to hear the receptionist's response :) .

5. Roller macrumors 68020

I read your title to mean that you threw pee on your MacBook. Actually, that might have been better, as I assume that gastric contents, which include hydrochloric acid, aren't kind to electronics. In any case, I'd get it looked at ASAP.

6. Doogie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh, thanks for the replies already.

:( To simplify things, I drank a bit too much. By a bit I mean waaaayy too much. When I woke up and saw it laying there I almost shed a tear. I babied this thing.

Also, a couple hundred doesn't sound tooo bad. I was estimating around $400. If anyone else has any ideas that would be great :D

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I believe the OP, no need for pics. Thank you :D

9. Doogie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, that's the thing I'm scared of. I think Ill say it was my nephew :D

10. Doogie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

A buddy of mine did take a pic of the scene, if yo realllly wanted to see it ;).

11. DVNO macrumors newbie

haha, play the blame game :p

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

For the love of all that is decent and good, no.

13. Doogie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was kidding :)

I know most of yo wouldn't want to see that.

14. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

You probably ought to take the keys off and clean carefully. Use iKlear or a similar product. Not Windex. Watch a how-to video so you don't break the keys by accident. Good luck.

The last macbook vomit thread I read had a better story. ;-)

15. Doogie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice to see I'm not the only one.

Thanks, Ill check that ot. Pretty sure its something bigger then the keys being dirty, though.. since they still do stuff, ust not the right things.

16. animaxcg macrumors regular

i would

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

"I was at a KFC when I saw a firebreak out across the street at an apartment building. The fire had been caused by a meth lab that was next to an apartment full of children as it was a daycare center. I rushed to the rescue and saved the four children inside.
    I was named hero of the year in my city. After the award ceremony I went home. I felt a little queasy due to the KFC and I threw up all over my macbook.

END"

18. Doogie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, should have used something like that.

uhh, can anyone link to a guide for taking off the keys? I'm having a little trouble finding one.

19. tr1p macrumors newbie

Just FYI, in case you had not called AppleCare yet;

Apple will not offer service for machines that have been vomited on, that contain or show signs of such activity in their retail stores. You will be turned away.

This is purely for the health and safety of the Genius team.

The solution for the OP would be to consider performing the repair yourself - considering you have lost the support of the warranty, or to take the machine to an authorized service provider after giving it a thorough clean.

Randy.

20. Doogie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch.. I thought that might be a problem. I guess I‘ll try surgery myself. Ive never touched the inside of a computer before, though.

21. Doogie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant find any videos for the unibody macbook, but I fond some for the macbook air.. wold that be good?

22. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Oh, well then. Seeing that your input is erratic, you'll likely need to do more than just lift keys and clean. Applecare doesn't tend to cover accidental damage. If you run down that road, the best luck to you. It really is hit or miss there.

23. Doogie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well guys, Im off to dick around with the inside of this thing. Wish me luck!

24. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

All the chicklet keyboards are put together in a similar fashion, just be careful when you get in there. And if all goes wrong, remember it can't get any more f'd than it is now, there's nowhere to go but up.

25. Doogie44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I couldn't find my screwdriver, and its too late to go around asking, so I guess Im done for the night.

Ill be back tomorrow when I need help ;)

Thanks again. I like this board :)