Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did iPad replaced your computer

• Yes, easily

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Yes, but there are things that are irritating

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • No, I still have to use computer sometimes

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • No, no way I can replace it anytime

Votes: 59 41.3%

• Total voters

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
As others have said, would love the iPad to become the main and only computer in the house. I rarely sit down in front of my desktop (Mac Mini) anymore. I refuse to own a laptop.

My issues and fears are in needing a data warehouse to store my music and videos (in addition to iCloud), which the desktop does so well. Also, the iPad has such a short life compared to desktops, I’d be replacing my main computer every 4 years or so. Not something I'm excited about financially or practically.

Hopefully, someday it’ll make sense to do.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
As others have said, would love the iPad to become the main and only computer in the house. I rarely sit down in front of my desktop (Mac Mini) anymore. I refuse to own a laptop.

My issues and fears are in needing a data warehouse to store my music and videos (in addition to iCloud), which the desktop does so well. Also, the iPad has such a short life compared to desktops, I’d be replacing my main computer every 4 years or so. Not something I'm excited about financially or practically.

Hopefully, someday it’ll make sense to do.

Valid points. I personally use a QNAP NAS at home to manage all my files outside of iCloud. That was really the last piece I needed to make the switch to iPad as my only computer. May be worth looking into one day.

Reactions: Richard8655

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Valid points. I personally use a QNAP NAS at home to manage all my files outside of iCloud. That was really the last piece I needed to make the switch to iPad as my only computer. May be worth looking into one day.

Great suggestion! Will definitely look into that alternative. Would love to end desktop dependency.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I think the better plan would be just to keep adding more and more macOS/desktop-like features to iOS for iPad. I don't think they are too far off. Throw in mouse support and higher resolution screens with 4 app multitasking and most would be set. I don't think certain tasks will ever likely be supported, but app development will be key for continued growth.
Would it have a download manager and user accessible system files tho? That's the biggest difference from MacOS to iOS I think.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Great suggestion! Will definitely look into that alternative. Would love to end desktop dependency.

Yea I felt like I needed a set place besides the cloud to store my files. The QNAP apps are also really good for file and server management. You can even download torrents or any other file from their download manager right to the NAS. I have been really happy with it for the last couple years. I am with ya, moving on from a laptop/desktop has been really freeing for me. I can work whenever/wherever and I have a ton of flexibility with what I do. I sell and upgrade my iPad every year and it costs me about $200 per year. I feel like it's a small price for my main computer.

Reactions: Richard8655

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
My attitude on this has evolved recently.

My iPad Pro CAN be my main computer even for the more power user, niche type stuff I personally do. Back in my days of podcasting weekly, I even eventually migrated that workflow to iPad. So yes, I use a MacBook Air for my job. I am required to use it during the day for work purposes, but if I lost my job and they took it away, I would most likely not need to replace it with my own personal Mac. I much prefer iOS these days.

But that being said, I have discovered recently that I don’t necessarily WANT my iPad to be my laptop replacement. I just want it to be my large screen portable iOS device that allows me to get stuff done. I may or may not use it with the Apple Smart Keyboard. I can decide that based on the situation. Same with Apple Pencil. The core thing that makes an iPad an iPad is the screen size and the iOS interface—those are the two major factors for me. The rest are adaptations I can make if I choose to, which for me, just adds value to the iPad. (I actually use my Apple Pencil FAR more than my Smart Keyboard these days!)

So yes, my iPad Pro is my main personally owned laptop IF I need it to be a laptop. I usually don’t. Which, thinking all the way back to 2011 when I got my first iPad, that’s why I originally bought one! I have never liked laptops that much! I used laptop and desktop computers back in the day because that was the only option I had. Now I can get everything done on my iPhone and iPad. Whether they’re configured like a laptop via accessories is immaterial to me.

Reactions: DNichter

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Would it have a download manager and user accessible system files tho? That's the biggest difference from MacOS to iOS I think.

Personally, I don't need to access system files. I use an app called Documents as my "finder". I can download files to it, access in multiple cloud locations if I want, and access files on my NAS at home. It's like a much better finder.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
How can I do all this things as easy as on computer?
Why is this even a topic--50 threads later. The differences in form factor and capabilities between a laptop and an ipad are self evident. Why do people perceive the ipad as representing some sort to evolutionary progress? Because ios is simpler? Because in some rarified future, we won't need to type, point or store data--or work on screens larger than 13". Puh-lease.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Why is this even a topic--50 threads later. The differences in form factor and capabilities between a laptop and an ipad are self evident. Why do people perceive the ipad as representing some sort to evolutionary progress? Because ios is simpler? Because in some rarified future, we won't need to type, point or store data--or work on screens larger than 13". Puh-lease.

It persists because Apple keeps trying to convince people. After all, “What’s a computer?” :rolleyes:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It persists because Apple keeps trying to convince people. After all, “What’s a computer?” :rolleyes:

It will never end. There are people on both sides of the argument. Obviously an iPad can replace a computer for some people and some tasks. Can it do everything a typical computer can? No of course not, but many people don't need it to. People that need to keep a computer for operational tasks will likely always need the same functionality, nothing wrong with that. Just the same as there is nothing wrong with using an iPad exclusively.

and 4096 others like this

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
I will give a try to @DNichter idea of NAS. I will also download file manager you suggested guys. Maybe this is all I need? For work I have MacBook Pro, forgot to mention that, but I used desktop (Windows) at home for mails, web browsing, watching movies. Maybe with new apps and NAS, the idea iPad + TV and Apple TV will work in the end :)

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I will give a try to @DNichter idea of NAS. I will also download file manager you suggested guys. Maybe this is all I need? For work I have MacBook Pro, forgot to mention that, but I used desktop (Windows) at home for mails, web browsing, watching movies. Maybe with new apps and NAS, the idea iPad + TV and Apple TV will work in the end :)

Solid choice! I personally use the NAS below and have been very happy with it. I stream primarily in 1080p and this has no issue with that. You may want to find a higher end model if you need to stream in 4K. The QNAP apps (Qmanager and Qfile) are very good as well and are very simple to use. If you decide to go this route, reach out if you need any guidance.

https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-251-...F8&qid=1523390572&sr=1-1&keywords=qnap+ts251+

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes, it is worth your time to give it a try. It could work for you. I tried that for my situation and it wasn't too helpful. Due to the nature of iOS itself, setting up a NAS for use with the iPad didn't buy me anything that I didn't already have with other cloud services. For personal media consumption, I ended up setting up a Plex server and digitizing my quite extensive media collection for access throughout the house.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It will never end. There are people on both sides of the argument. Obviously an iPad can replace a computer for some people and some tasks. Can it do everything a typical computer can? No of course not, but many people don't need it to. People that need to keep a computer for operational tasks will likely always need the same functionality, nothing wrong with that. Just the same as there is nothing wrong with using an iPad exclusively.

I understand both sides of the debate. As you say, it can replace a computer for some people, and for some it can't. What I don't understand though is the people who radically adjust their workflow, and encourage others to as well, just to make it happen.

To me, it doesn't matter if an iPad can replace a more traditional computer if it's still easier just to use the computer. It seems like some people just come up with elaborate workarounds for their iPads, but what's the point if it's not easier?

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I personally enjoy using the iPad + ask combo more than my macbook but until it can incorporate enterprise level applications without any workarounds it’ll never be a full laptop replacement.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I understand both sides of the debate. As you say, it can replace a computer for some people, and for some it can't. What I don't understand though is the people who radically adjust their workflow, and encourage others to as well, just to make it happen.

To me, it doesn't matter if an iPad can replace a more traditional computer if it's still easier just to use the computer. It seems like some people just come up with elaborate workarounds for their iPads, but what's the point if it's not easier?

Makes sense. I don't see much of that actually, more so just personal experiences and how it's been positive for them. I think most people on this side of the argument are typically defending the choice, trying to bring knowledge to those who are interested in potentially making the switch. More often, it results in a bunch of people who the iPad doesn't work for calling them toys, not a real computer, etc. It gets old and it's very short sighted. I know for myself, I didn't need to make any radical adjustments to my workflow, just some minor adjustments to how I was used to doing things and using a few new apps. I found big advantages to moving to iOS exclusively, mainly centered around cost, security, stability, privacy, maintenance, battery life, portability, and flexibility (apps to do almost anything). It's not for everyone, but it works for me and I am sure it can work for many others. I also wanted to reduce the number of main computing devices for me down to 2 (iPad and iPhone) and generally just find the iPad much more enjoyable to use, with the added benefit of it being my main consumption device in the evening.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Here's my take: If you are not a power user, and find that using and maintaining a PC or Mac is a pain sometimes, give an iPad a try as your primary computing device. It will be an adjustment in workflow, but see how it goes. You might be pleasantly surprised. If you find your groove, your primary computer will be a streamlined, touch-based device that you can take anywhere, that backs up automatically every night (if you use iCloud), performs extremely well, and can never get a virus. The available apps are terrific and inexpensive. The Pencil is outstanding for drawing and writing. The platform has its limits but it is tight and polished to the extreme. If you can make the iPad your primary computing device, and use it efficiently for your tasks, then you are lucky.

If you are a power user (like me), the iPad won't fully replace your PC or Mac. Most of the time, you'll need ports, a proper mouse, half a dozen windows on the screen at one time, two or more instances of MS Word open, full Outlook, robust file management, etc. There's no way around it.

But even in that case, it's refreshing to move certain tasks over to the iPad from time to time. I'm an engineer and there are times (especially when working at home or on the weekend) that I'll move a large PDF to my iPad to mark up with my Pencil in PDF Expert, or finish off a Word doc in the iPad version of MS Word, or flesh out a project workplan in OneNote, or get through some email. The iPad let's me step away from the PC, get up and walk around, lean back in an easy chair, or knock out some tasks while sitting in the stands at my daughter's practice. I'm thankful to have one in my "toolbox".

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Here's my take: If you are not a power user, and find that using and maintaining a PC or Mac is a pain sometimes, give an iPad a try as your primary computing device. It will be an adjustment in workflow, but see how it goes. You might be pleasantly surprised. If you find your groove, your primary computer will be a streamlined, touch-based device that you can take anywhere, that backs up automatically every night (if you use iCloud), performs extremely well, and can never get a virus. The available apps are terrific and inexpensive. The Pencil is outstanding for drawing and writing. The platform has its limits but it is tight and polished to the extreme. If you can make the iPad your primary computing device, and use it efficiently for your tasks, then you are lucky.

If you are a power user (like me), the iPad won't fully replace your PC or Mac. Most of the time, you'll need ports, a proper mouse, half a dozen windows on the screen at one time, two or more instances of MS Word open, full Outlook, robust file management, etc. There's no way around it.

But even in that case, it's refreshing to move certain tasks over to the iPad from time to time. I'm an engineer and there are times (especially when working at home or on the weekend) that I'll move a large PDF to my iPad to mark up with my Pencil in PDF Expert, or finish off a Word doc in the iPad version of MS Word, or flesh out a project workplan in OneNote, or get through some email. The iPad let's me step away from the PC, get up and walk around, lean back in an easy chair, or knock out some tasks while sitting in the stands at my daughter's practice. I'm thankful to have one in my "toolbox".

Very well said. I agree, it's worth giving a look, but definitely may not be for everyone in the end. Different devices for different people, nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: redman042

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017

What? There’s middle ground? What?

Non-power user here who bought an IPP, loved and found that I simply didn’t need my MBP anymore, and I’ve been IOS only since November. I travel a ton and teach online wherever I go. I used to travel with MBP plus Wacom tablet (plus big, heavy books!). Now I travel with iPP and have digital versions of all my books. It’s soooooo nice. File management isn’t a thing that is important to me. I just use iCloud. I wasn’t sure if I’d be OK without a mouse, but it turned out I don’t miss it.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I agree with this, and I find it a little weird that the OP decided to make the switch without easing into it.

It might be a little misleading how Apple is advertising. The whole "what's a computer?" ad was pretty strange.

In a way, Apple is condemning one product (their desktop and laptops), to increases sales for another (iPads). Apple use to have a good way of showing that their products complement each other, but lately, they belittle one product for another.

Actually, most of Apple's advertising over the past few years have been strange.

I really like this idea. I hate the idea of the MacOS becoming more like the iOS. I think that they should be kept separate, but if there is a product that is supposed to be a replacement for both, maybe they should include elements of both.
I think rushing into the switch is something commonly done, in part due to others saying they made the switch and Apples advertising.
I think Apples marketing is being too aggressive in this area but part of it is to show that these things can be done on an iPad, a lot of functionality is unknown. But they have had the wrong approach. Steve Jobs said the iPad would replace computers for a lot of people but he never forced it across in advertising, he made sure people knew what iPads are capable of.
The “what’s a computer?” ad would have worked with the removal of a few letters, meaning the question would be “what computer?”. Although even then it would have been a forgettable ad just like plenty of others Apple have produced in the last 5 years. A more effective approach would be similar to the original Macintosh ads.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I think rushing into the switch is something commonly done, in part due to others saying they made the switch and Apples advertising.
I think Apples marketing is being too aggressive in this area but part of it is to show that these things can be done on an iPad, a lot of functionality is unknown. But they have had the wrong approach. Steve Jobs said the iPad would replace computers for a lot of people but he never forced it across in advertising, he made sure people knew what iPads are capable of.
The “what’s a computer?” ad would have worked with the removal of a few letters, meaning the question would be “what computer?”. Although even then it would have been a forgettable ad just like plenty of others Apple have produced in the last 5 years. A more effective approach would be similar to the original Macintosh ads.

I feel like that ad freaked people out too much. It featured a kid. So I wouldn’t take “What’s a computer?” to mean they are thinking about getting rid of Macs or trying to convince the public at large not to buy a Mac or PC. I take it to mean that for someone like her, it does everything she would want and need. She’s a little old for me to buy that line— that she wouldn’t be familiar with the term. But at the same time, it rang true to me in the sense that I have an elementary-school aged kid at a (public) elementary school that is hard-core into iPads (they have them in the classroom for little kids and issue them to kids in third grade and up— I just saw a reminder for the fifth graders to bring theirs in, fully charged, for standardized testing).

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Nothing in the poll quite hit my use. I use my iPad Pro for creating and markup, not quite in tandem with my iMac. That said, I never viewed it as a replacement for my iMac. I see it as another tool in which to create so it is independent for me.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
For me,its not an option.
  • Lack of USB ports - no easy/seamless way to connect my printer and scanner.
  • Accessing external drives (related to #1, but I think it needs its own bullet)
  • Lack of a mouse. I understand the touch first mentality, but for my needs, a mouse is critical.
  • Inferior multitasking. I tend to have a handful of apps and its quite easy to move around them. The split screen is a nice plus but it in no way encroaches on the level of multitasking I can do with my laptop or desktop
  • Storage/ram, I have access to more resources which is needed for my tasks.
  • Running VMs
  • Running Windows
  • Web browsing, some sites render the iPad as a mobile device and limit how I can interact vs. a desktop.
  • Full access to a file system
  • Access to the terminal (I don't feeling like doing down the jailbreak path).
  • Desktop apps are more powerful then iOS apps
You pretty much nailed everything I was going to say. My top 5 list: mouse support, file system access, boot camp, USB ports (optical drive, flash drive, external hard drive), multiple instances of a single app (like 6 Word docs open at once). And a lot more besides that, but those are more than enough by themselves.

For me, it’s just not close. I like iPads a lot, but they are a complimentary device in my lineup.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
For me,its not an option.
  • Lack of USB ports - no easy/seamless way to connect my printer and scanner.
  • Accessing external drives (related to #1, but I think it needs its own bullet)
  • Lack of a mouse. I understand the touch first mentality, but for my needs, a mouse is critical.
  • Inferior multitasking. I tend to have a handful of apps and its quite easy to move around them. The split screen is a nice plus but it in no way encroaches on the level of multitasking I can do with my laptop or desktop
  • Storage/ram, I have access to more resources which is needed for my tasks.
  • Running VMs
  • Running Windows
  • Web browsing, some sites render the iPad as a mobile device and limit how I can interact vs. a desktop.
  • Full access to a file system
  • Access to the terminal (I don't feeling like doing down the jailbreak path).
  • Desktop apps are more powerful then iOS apps
You can use the Puffin browser if you want your iPad to display desktop format websites.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.