Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did iPad replaced your computer

• Yes, easily

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Yes, but there are things that are irritating

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • No, I still have to use computer sometimes

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • No, no way I can replace it anytime

Votes: 59 41.3%

• Total voters

dreamcast

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Henderson, Nevada
I have a nice music collection which is on my 2TB external hard driver. I CANNOT use an iPad with ITUNES!. I need an external drive connected and I need iTunes which I'm dead in the water with an iPad.
I actually use iTunes Match but it still wouldn't help my situation out since I want all the changes to my iTunes happen to my actual external hard disc.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
Eric5273 - Thank you SO much for this!

I was sent audio files that I had a nightmare of a time trying to open (they were zipped) and spent a couple of fruitless hours downloading them to my computer, unzipping them, uploading them to Dropbox - only for it to tell me I couldn't open them on my phone, only on my computer. It was really annoying!

I read your response this morning, remembered I had Documents, downloaded it from the cloud again, and everything worked really smoothly.

Thank you! You are my new hero.

prospervic

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Hi there

recently I understood, that I use my computer (most of the time) for browsing, checking emails, watching movies - all the things I can do with iPad. So I said to myself "why not sell my desktop computer and buy TV + iPad. Unfortunately this was mistake. Maybe I miss a big picture and you guys and girls can put me in the right direction.

I know I can download apps for most of the things, but this is very inelegant process.

Apple try to show iPad as PC replacement, they add task bar, split view etc, but there is no easy way to download files. Windows or macOS - ok, just click the download button and there you go, you have your movie, file, RAR etc. in chosen direction. Why can I do this on iPad, just one click? Why downloading RAR file to „Files” on iOS saved it as .txt file and I have to use DropBox for it?
Many people are misinterpreting Apple’s (not very clear) marketing. There have been many discussions this forum about iPads replacing laptops. This can be done IF YOU ALSO HAVE A DESKTOP (or other) COMPUTER.
As for downloading, get the iCab browser from the App Store. It allows you to download and unzip files. These can then be saved in the Files app on iOS 11.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I tried, really hard to be an iPad person, and it just isn't for me.
My wife on the other hand, definitely is.
That's Ok. Different people, different needs.
[doublepost=1523463464][/doublepost]
Echo what @maflynn says.

If an iPad is to replace a 'computer' for me, it needs to do this (and do it damn well):
  • Mouse / trackpad support (can. not. poke. at. a. screen. all. day. - sorry, tried and tested - its as Steve Jobs said, miserable at best).
  • File system (in this day in age where both Mac and Windows have a file system sorted, I shouldn't need to be jumping in hoops to get something which i'm familiar with working)
  • Ports (my workstation is messy. Its how I work. With an external monitor, hard drives scattered amongst paper and USB devices connected via dongles, one ain't going to cover it)
  • Enhanced printer support (budge over iPad. Paper ain't done yet. I often need to print out various different types of files and im afraid the dumbed down printer settings on the iPad just don't cover it)
*in the above order of importance, for me*

An iPad can handle all of this perfectly fine, if you replace it with a MacBook.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I have a nice music collection which is on my 2TB external hard driver. I CANNOT use an iPad with ITUNES!. I need an external drive connected and I need iTunes which I'm dead in the water with an iPad.
I actually use iTunes Match but it still wouldn't help my situation out since I want all the changes to my iTunes happen to my actual external hard disc.

This is actually something that can be managed by an NAS. Mine enables an "iTunes Server" option where you can store, manipulate, and access your files through the music app remotely.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I think one of the big factors is how much you have simplified your workflows and moved things to the cloud.

I don't think I could have done it without Dropbox, and the fact that I really no longer rely on external storage devices.

For example, I've pretty much given up on downloading music and instead stream with Spotify. I've also given up a lot of programs like Quicken and now use Mint and I can access that on multiple devices. Picture, video, etc. all managed in the cloud in some fashion.

For many activities, I have had to sit back and ask why I was doing it the way I was doing it in the past. Switching to an iPad as my main device has forced me to simplify my digital life a lot, and for that, it has actually made my work more streamlined and productive.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I have been using my iPad as my primary device for a while now. Just got a 12.9 to replace my 10.5 and it’s fantastic. I can’t completely give up my laptop though. How can I add music to my Apple Watch series 2 without my laptop and iTunes? Simply can’t be done.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I know I can download apps for most of the things, but this is very inelegant process.

I feel it's more the user's willingness or reluctance to let go of older ways of getting things done and learning to embrace newer workflows.

To use an analogy, there are these people who were trying to drive in screws using a hammer because the screwdriver hadn't been invented yet. That doesn't mean the PC was the best tool for the job; it simply meant they stuck with one for lack of a better alternative.

Like it or not, apps are the primary way of getting things done on an iPad, and the more you try to fight this and force a PC-user's mindset onto an iPad rather than embrace it for what it is, the more you will feel like you are jogging in quicksand.

Reactions: Booji and DNichter

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I bought the 10.5 Pro to replace my 11" Macbook Air as an on-the-go computer. Coupled with the SD-card adapter, so far it is working great, and I can still upload my photos form my digital camera to edit/post to social media.

At home, I still need my Macbook Pro for more serious photo editing and Final Cut, and also home for my music library.

The iPad is not a total computer replacement. Just like Jobs said, there will always be a need for trucks. However, for more and more people, the iPad can replace their computing needs (social media, email, web browsing, etc).

I mean let's face it, if people can use Chromebooks as their computers (like many are claiming in the education topics), the iPad can do it.

Reactions: Booji

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I think one of the big factors is how much you have simplified your workflows and moved things to the cloud.

I don't think I could have done it without Dropbox, and the fact that I really no longer rely on external storage devices.

For example, I've pretty much given up on downloading music and instead stream with Spotify. I've also given up a lot of programs like Quicken and now use Mint and I can access that on multiple devices. Picture, video, etc. all managed in the cloud in some fashion.

For many activities, I have had to sit back and ask why I was doing it the way I was doing it in the past. Switching to an iPad as my main device has forced me to simplify my digital life a lot, and for that, it has actually made my work more streamlined and productive.

I agree as I did a lot of simplifying on my end as well. I started to realize that I don't need all this digital junk and just started to rely completely on cloud services. iCloud, Apple Music, and Plex on an NAS were everything I needed. Using an iPad takes some getting used to, but it's been a freeing experience. The portability and flexibility have changed my workflow completely for the better.

Reactions: Booji

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I have been using my iPad as my primary device for a while now. Just got a 12.9 to replace my 10.5 and it’s fantastic. I can’t completely give up my laptop though. How can I add music to my Apple Watch series 2 without my laptop and iTunes? Simply can’t be done.
Is it different between series 2 and series 3? Because I do this with my phone. Or is that because I use apple music and match?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I feel it's more the user's willingness or reluctance to let go of older ways of getting things done and learning to embrace newer workflows.

To use an analogy, there are these people who were trying to drive in screws using a hammer because the screwdriver hadn't been invented yet. That doesn't mean the PC was the best tool for the job; it simply meant they stuck with one for lack of a better alternative.

Like it or not, apps are the primary way of getting things done on an iPad, and the more you try to fight this and force a PC-user's mindset onto an iPad rather than embrace it for what it is, the more you will feel like you are jogging in quicksand.

Be nice if that was true.
For some of us it is a lot more complicated. Spent a month trying it and trying to find a method. Just wasn't happening.
I deal in a number of regulatory controlled items and client documents/systems where how they are handled and what software can be utilized defines my usage. The software and functionality does not currently exist for the iPad.
A fully virtual/cloud world is likely in the next 2-3 years for these ... maybe.
Someday? Not seeing it t this time. The iPad is not prevalent nor dominating a tool to push many to develop or allow the functionality.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Is it different between series 2 and series 3? Because I do this with my phone. Or is that because I use apple music and match?
Probably all the above. I remember the series 3 was touted for being able to stream Apple Music anywhere without the phone, but I have a series 2 and I refuse to pay for Apple Music. I had Music Match for a couple of years when it was first introduced, and it was the buggiest piece of software I’ve ever had the displeasure of essentially beta testing—it would freeze up trying to upload songs. Maybe it’s better now, but I’ll pass. Really tired of monthly subscriptions, and I’m fine with uploading songs to my watch using my MacBook. Just no way to do it with the iPad.
[doublepost=1523567691][/doublepost]
I didn't think you needed Apple Music or Match to do this, but I also do it from my phone. I could very well be wrong though.
Do you have a way to add a song to the Apple Music app from, say, Dropbox? “Open In” doesn’t seem to work. One could potentially bypass iTunes/MacBook altogether if that were possible. Otherwise I don’t see a way to add music to the Apple Watch without a subscription unless going through iTunes.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I do upload sings from my phone to my watch to make them available offline (because like if I want to go for a run in another country or where lte is spotty, I’d need that). But that said, I don’t have music that isn’t in match... I’m not dealing with any file management issues for music.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Probably all the above. I remember the series 3 was touted for being able to stream Apple Music anywhere without the phone, but I have a series 2 and I refuse to pay for Apple Music. I had Music Match for a couple of years when it was first introduced, and it was the buggiest piece of software I’ve ever had the displeasure of essentially beta testing—it would freeze up trying to upload songs. Maybe it’s better now, but I’ll pass. Really tired of monthly subscriptions, and I’m fine with uploading songs to my watch using my MacBook. Just no way to do it with the iPad.
[doublepost=1523567691][/doublepost]
Do you have a way to add a song to the Apple Music app from, say, Dropbox? “Open In” doesn’t seem to work. One could potentially bypass iTunes/MacBook altogether if that were possible. Otherwise I don’t see a way to add music to the Apple Watch without a subscription unless going through iTunes.

No on the dropbox part, at least that I know of. I add new downloaded music (aside from Apple Music) to my iTunes library through an "iTunes Server" function on my NAS. As is, any song that is in the Music app on your phone can be added to your watch through the Watch app.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
No on the dropbox part, at least that I know of. I add new downloaded music (aside from Apple Music) to my iTunes library through an "iTunes Server" function on my NAS. As is, any song that is in the Music app on your phone can be added to your watch through the Watch app.
Hmmm, I have to look into what you are doing. Sounds like you still need iTunes though, which is what I'm saying...can't get around the iTunes/Apple Music/iPhone/Apple Watch conundrum.

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
Be nice if that was true.
For some of us it is a lot more complicated. Spent a month trying it and trying to find a method. Just wasn't happening.
I deal in a number of regulatory controlled items and client documents/systems where how they are handled and what software can be utilized defines my usage. The software and functionality does not currently exist for the iPad.
A fully virtual/cloud world is likely in the next 2-3 years for these ... maybe.
Someday? Not seeing it t this time. The iPad is not prevalent nor dominating a tool to push many to develop or allow the functionality.

I agree with this, it really depends on how you use the iPad. A lot of us work in fields where many software are simply not available / too simplified on the iPad.

The lack of Xcode, Little Snitch, (and believe it or not) Flash is what deters me from being able to use iPad full time. Sadly, some websites still use Flash to display certain features (such as 3D anatomy). So I currently use iPad only to read books, some online banking and hopefully soon (when I get iPad 2018) take notes with it.

My partner is not an iPad user at all, he prefers using his iMac and Macbook since he prefers the bigger screen. He is also a programmer and many software that he uses are not available on the iPad (e.g. CodeKit, Xcode etc.). He prefers to alt tab and get full screen / slightly stacked windows view, than to use split view. He plays World of Warcraft PvP and there's no WoW on iPad.

I told him when I get my 2018 iPad, I'll give him my 2017 iPad, he said, what should I do with that? To him, an iPad is just a fancier paperweight, he has not written anything by hand (except for his signature) in more than 20 years, so Apple Pencil is totally useless for him. He already lugs a laptop everywhere when he goes out, so for him to carry an iPad is just something extra that he doesn't need. Everything else he needs to do with a mobile device (GPS and whatnot), he has his iPhone for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
No you don’t need iTunes. If a song exists on your Music app on your phone, you can add it to the watch.
I’m guessing you weren’t reading the rest of the thread. Of course I know that a song on the music app can be added to the watch. The question presented was whether a song can be added to the music app without iTunes or without paying for a subscription like match or Apple Music. Which it can’t.

Thanks for playing though.

Reactions: Regime2008

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I’m guessing you weren’t reading the rest of the thread. Of course I know that a song on the music app can be added to the watch. The question presented was whether a song can be added to the music app without iTunes or without paying for a subscription like match or Apple Music. Which it can’t.

Thanks for playing though.

I think you may be lost. We were discussing adding music to an Apple Watch when you jumped in. The discussion was about if you can add music to an Apple Watch without iTunes, which you can. No reason to get upset about it. Just a misunderstanding.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I think you may be lost. We were discussing adding music to an Apple Watch when you jumped in. The discussion was about if you can add music to an Apple Watch without iTunes, which you can. No reason to get upset about it. Just a misunderstanding.
No one is upset here, sir. I’m the person who mentioned the Apple Watch in post #57 above. I’ll enumerate things here to make it more clear:
1) the post is about replacing the laptop with an ipad
2) my post above is about not being able to get rid of my laptop/iTunes because I can’t get music on my phone (and thus my watch) without iTunes
3) DoubleFlyaway mentions using music match
4) I say I don’t want to pay for another subscription
5) you talk about using an nas drive to add music via iTunes (I think that’s what you are talking about)
6) I reply that you still have to use iTunes to get music onto the music app
7) you reply that you just need to use the Apple Music app to get music to the watch

Again, I’m saying I can’t get rid of my laptop as i need iTunes to get music to the music app as there is no way to “open in” from, say, Dropbox. Again, I don’t want to pay for a music subscription. Take it easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regime2008

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I just think bringing the watch into it confused us, because that's not the iOS stumbling block.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I just think bringing the watch into it confused us, because that's not the iOS stumbling block.
Actually it’s a huge iOS stumbling block. It is what prevents an individual from using just their phone to add music to the music app and hence the watch (edit: without a subscription service, that is). There are several jailbreak apps out there that allow that “backdoor” in iOS. I quit jail breaking as it’s just too much to play cat and mouse with apple all the time.

Again, the post was about not being able to replace the laptop, and that’s what I’m saying, I just can’t go all in without some functions of a laptop/outside of iOS.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.