I turned 3G off and now I have full reception!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bathplug, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Only had my iPhone 4 for 2 days and the reception has never gone over 3 bars and usually sits at 1 or 2 bars.

I use my homes wifi and I noticed when I turned my fone screen on it would say 3g for a second then change to my wifi which seemed odd as I didn't want the phone some how using my 3G data when in the house when I can just use wifi. So I turned off 3G and now I have full 5 bars of reception!

However the deathgrip will take all the bars away.

2. dmac0203 macrumors newbie

Whenever it shows 3G before going to wifi is because when you put your iPhone asleep it disconnects from the wifi and when turned back on it shows 3G and then reconnects to your wifi. It is bot using your data when you are able to use wifi.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This isn't how iOS4 works.

iOS4 is supposed to maintain a connection to Wi-Fi even when in sleep mode.

Previous versions of iOS didn't.

If you check the cellular data usage meter, you'll see that no data is used in sleep mode. The display is just wrong when it shows 3G for a few seconds.

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Turning off 3G will not prevent your phone from using data. It will simple revert to EDGE. If you're worried about using precious data, put your phone in airplane mode when you're not using it, or just power it off.

5. TLewis macrumors 65816

It's not unusual for your signal to go up if you turn off 3G. Many people can get a stronger EDGE signal instead of a 3G one, and turning off 3G just means that the phone connects to a cell tower with a stronger EDGE signal. Stronger EDGE signal == more bars.

6. Bathplug thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

If you want to turn data off then just switch the cellular data tab to "off".

You don't need to turn it to airplane mode or switch the phone lol.

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

I was not aware that the bars reflected any data signal.