I used a Xoom! And...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Synthion, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Synthion macrumors regular

I was disappointed.

I was really, really hoping for a legit competitor. I'm a "double agent" so to speak because I love both OSes, iOS and Android, and I was PSYCHED for Honeycomb, and I like Moto, AND they played it up like nobody's business (even apple's), AND something that costs $800 better knock my freakin socks off.

But no, the XOOM disappointed.

Andr. 3.0 seemed like a step backwards from gingerbread, laggy, unnatural, very foreign, definitely a learning curve, (which I personally don't mind, but others might), and I HATE buttonless. First I was an advocate, now I am an opposer.

It felt solid enough, but god, it took me at least a minute to find the wake from sleep button. (next to the camera? Really?) It definitely had the insides of a beast though.

I'm not a fanboy. I like quality. And despite being a good first shot, I give this Tablet a Synthion Grade of

C-
    :eek:

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

you didn't use honeycomb, because if you did, you would realize it's none of the things you said.

it's very fast, fluid and functional. it's a TAD bit more complicated in navigation in terms of mobile OS because you're used to the VERY dumbed down OS of Apple.

3. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

So, you're saying that the Xoom currently shipping is not running Honeycomb? Odd, because I had the exact same experience that Synthion had. Just an all around laggy, non-intuitive presentation layer.

Of course, I use the very dumbed down OS of Apple.

4. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I also used a XOOM. I don't remember it being laggy at all. However, I still greatly prefer using my iPad.

5. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

I'm glad there is competition. They dont stand a damn chance because they use fragmented broken ass Android.

6. Synthion, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Synthion thread starter macrumors regular

I am a tech-savvy guy.

I dual-boot linux on a mac.

I use terminal, all the time.

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO USE HONEYCOMB.

I am talking about other people, especially those who have no experience with android. Like I said, Android KILLS IT with Gingerbread, but they lost it with Honeycomb. I'm waiting for a serious upgrade, because either I had a uniquely horrid experience, or I ill never recommend this to anyone.

PS: love the wide screen though, I like landscape mode.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

8. iPimpin macrumors newbie

I can't stand my HTC evo phone or the android OS. It has taken the form of permanent hot spot with its 4g connection

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

"The Honeycomb Browser, camera app and even Marketplace have all crashed on me over the past two days."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4191/motorola-xoom-review-first-honeycomb-tablet-arrives/10

There are many bugs sprinkled throughout the OS (background data automatically enables itself after a reboot even if you disable it). Things like this combined with the instability I mentioned earlier makes me feel like Honeycomb was a bit rushed, perhaps to hit the streets before one other major tablet announcement coming this year?

"Performance in Honeycomb seems even more dependent on background apps than with earlier versions of Android."

10. Synthion thread starter macrumors regular

:/

Really?

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes really.

The Anandtech review was very favorable, even beating the iPad on battery life.

12. Synthion thread starter macrumors regular

On the Tab?

13. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

Honestly, a lot of your words were mine when I first switched to a Mac. Very unnatural, foreign, learning curve, buttonless trackpad, 1200$ for this!?! Good solid build with great hardware though...

Really, there isn't much the iPad can do that the Xoom can't, and vice versa. You get used to it, you start liking it. I hated the Mac for the first 2 weeks, thats for sure.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No, the Xoom.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I just used the Zoom and it was fairly nice. I like how the web browser was literally Chrome. It was smooth but for some reason, Android didn't feel as responsive as iOS. I think it really comes down to what apps you can get on each device.

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Fixed for you. Also, I used a Xoom in a laptop dock. It felt oddly similar to a MacBook Air, in terms of build quality.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Ahh, right... its a Xoom, not a Zoom lol
    Build quality was pretty good too

18. Synthion thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe you are right, but maybe you aren't.

I personally felt much more at home when I made the switch to the :apple:.

But the Xoom still was laggy, unresponsive, and overall an awkward User Experience.

Here's hoping the Xoom II will be better! (and cheaper) (and wi-fi only) (and has more apps)

19. cpuguy18 macrumors regular

cpuguy18

my xoom is laggy sometimes.

20. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

hey, it happens

21. jarvijarv macrumors regular

Tomorrow, all attention will once again go to the unidsputed _____ (fill in the blank) of tablets, and we will be saying Xoom what? Honeycomb, huh? Galaxy, what's that?......sorry, just had to put it out there.:rolleyes:

22. JDB1983 macrumors newbie

I configured my dock to be on the left side of the screen.

I changed my desktop wallpaper to an image I downloaded of the web.

I've mastered the 2nd mouse button.

I guess that makes me r00t.

23. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

Thats because everyone is different in their tastes ;). I was pretty disappointed in the iPad, as many others were. The case will be the same with the Xoom.

I've played with the Xoom a bit and didn't think much of it. Laggy or unresponsive though was not on my mind. Although everyone has different tolerance levels for a slowdown. You still see people with netbooks who think its fast enough :p.

24. davidcmc macrumors 6502

So is my iPad.

25. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

im still looking for one to play with. I finally played with the galaxy tab the other day. what a piece of junk that thing is.