I wait and wait and wait! Enough is enough!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nomoreapple, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Nomoreapple macrumors newbie

Just want to share my nightmarish experience to all people thinking of purchasing iMac on line or through a phone rep. Here are key findings:

Be prepared for very long waits for your shipment. Because the sales rep has no idea where the computer is coming from, it can come from Shanghi, California, Canada, planet Saturn... Depending on where you live, this can be a 10-20 business day difference, although your credit card is charged instantly. It's a really nice feeling when you get charged for a purchase you don't have on hand. Therefore, never believe the sales rep when they say it is fast and easy. It is not. In fact, it is quite painful and disappointing.

Don't bother with expedited shipment. It makes no difference, because the shipping is going to drag for so long you might have forgotten you ordered one by the time you received it. Again, if you want to get a mac on-line or by phone, just arm yourself with a lot of patience and schedule yourself a three four week wait time. Sit back and watch with the tracking as your computer will travel through cities and oceans you might not have heard of.

Don't customize your computer with added software. One added software will make your computer customized, which means you can't return it if something happens. Just buy the standard regular, and buy the software separately.

Be prepared for separate shipment if you order a computer and a printer. It's because both are coming from different countries. The printer can arrive in two days, while the computer will still be in deep space nine, in the delta quadrant, 30,000 light years away.

If something goes wrong, ask for the supervisor instead of wasting your time with the front line pawns. They don't know anything and they all contradict each other it is laughable.

I am one with very little patience. In the end, after sitting for two weeks still with no computer, enough is enough. I initiated the return process with the supervisor. My "customized" computer is still stuck somewhere in deep space nine while the printer has been stuck in some UPS facility for two weeks, but I don't care anymore. I will now refuse delivery when it finally arrives. Apparently, everything will find their way back where they came from. And I'll get my refund. Gee, I wonder how long that will take.

Good luck to everyone.

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Did you bother reading up where the product comes from before ordering?

Attached Files:

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

When I inquired about ordering a Pontiac Vibe from a local GM dealership, they told me that if the factory was going to custom-make one for me, the wait time would be about three months.

Did you think that the factories in China or Taiwan are simply sitting idle, waiting for your order so they can scramble to put it together? The cargo plane is sitting at the end of the runway, ready to scramble as soon as they get your box?

Custom orders from factories take time. If you can't accept that, drive down to your local Apple Store, Best Buy, etc. and pick one up with a standard configuration from the sales floor. I picked up my aluminum iMac literally seconds after they unloaded it from the delivery truck at Future Shop. No faster way to get one.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The part in bold I'll address first; DUH. Buying pre-loaded software is always a mistake. I've never done that, and I never will (if I can help it). You've learned a valuable lesson for the future at the very least.

As for the rest of your post, why do you expect the sales rep to know the exact location of your product? It's not as if they've attached a GPS monitor to it ;)

Now, Star Trek references aside, your machine is taking a while, but I can't decide how long it's been because you never gave us exact dates (or even comparable time spans). Have you been waiting a week? Two weeks? A month? This all makes a big difference. Since most shipped products will take at least a week (usually up to ten days depending on where you live), and since you ordered a customized computer, you have to add more time to that.

Some specifics would really be nice if you want us to understand your situation. Until then, we have nothing to go on except to assume that you're just enjoying a rant.
    Do we really need to poke fun like this? I think I can understand the OP's frustration. What he's asking for (timely delivery) is not unreasonable.

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

In short. Yes.

The OP is likely to not come back. Why would he? He vented and is in the process of returning the computer.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Fixed, your welcome. These whiney complaints go for any computer order, Dell, Alienware, Apple, if you custom job it, it'll take time. When you configure it it'll take time. One word... "DUH"

8. greatestash macrumors member

greatestash

fast shipment

well i would say that shipment is fast; atleast for me.

i ordered imac on monday and i got it on wednesday afternoon and its not fast shipment; i made it to ground shipment and i live in california; may thats why it shipped so quickly.

9. schreck macrumors regular

Hmm..definitely got my MacBook within one week of ordering it with a custom configuration. Shipped from Shanghai-Anchorage-Indianapolis-Waterloo-Cedar Falls. :)

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

*sigh* You're sadly dead-on; the odds are we will never see this poster again. Yet another thread which will yield a dozen others asking, "is it safe to buy?"

11. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Little ot but what exactly did you want 'custom' about a pontiac vibe? I can see a vette cuase then you can go watch it being built, but a vibe?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-pontiac, I used to have a grand am, but I'd never imagine ordering one custom.

Zack

12. sndcj1 macrumors member

My experience with a custom iMac was that the computer was not charged until it showed shipping. In fact, I don't think they can "charge" you until they do ship it. They may place a hold on your account, lowering your total available credit, but not actually being a charge. But I suppose that could just be me. I would agree that the time until shipping is long, but my actual shipping time was 3-4 days, not bad at all.

13. slu macrumors 68000

slu

This is a classic example of a drive by post. As others have said, we will never see this poster again. Which is a shame, because he may have a legit complaint if his story is indeed accurate.

14. Nomoreapple thread starter macrumors newbie

To the first few posters above, there's no need to be sarcastic. I posted my ordeal to let new buyers know what to expect in terms of shipping time and customed machines, because the sales reps are not going to reveal this.

I never had the intention to order through the sales rep. On the morning of Oct 29, I called to find out what I have to do to submit the $9.95 to upgrade to the Leopard when I buy a new Imac from the store tonight. She says to not buy from stores because their stock is old and still runs Tiger. She tells me to buy through the on line store because every computer that's being shipped out from the warehouse now will have Leopard automatically installed, so I don't have to pay the 9.95. I explained that I can't deal with shipping because I am not at home during the day and because I will be leaving for another city soon for work related reasons, I want to have the computer as soon as possible, so at least I can have some fun with it before I leave for two months. She said Fed Ex is very easy and fast, and if I add the expedited shipping, I will get it in a week. She then proceeded to ask me if I want to buy software. I said the only software I need is the Pages, Numbers, and the Mac equivalent of Powerpoint.

"Okay, I'll have them preinstalled for you," the sales rep said.

I am not a seasoned computer purchaser. At the time, I don't know that adding software will make it custom made. No one told me. I just thought it would be easy, to have the software preinstalled.

After taking my credit and address information, she entered my order and sold me a printer on top of it. Once again, she reminded me I will receive it very quickly. I never realized she meant this for the printer only. I live in Montreal Quebec. The printer came from Ontario. My local UPS center has the printer on hand on Nov 1, waiting for me to pick up. At this time, I thought I should wait for the IMac to arrive, so I can pick both up at the same time. But no invoice and tracking number was produced for the iMac yet.

Sadly, on Nov 2, I received the invoice and tracking number for the iMac. To my surprise, the machine is coming from Shanghai. I thought to myself, "How is this going to arrive within days as the sales rep claimed?"

It is now Nov 10. Apple sent me the returns emails for both the printer and iMac. I never picked up the printer from the UPS center, so I called UPS and simply asked them to return to sender.

The IMac will be a problem. As I just found out, UPS lost track of it in Ontario. There is no additional info on this shipment for the past two days. How am I supposed to return something that is lost? Apple gave me a deadline for them receiving the returns - Nov 23. Will the lost Imac make it in time?

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, if I want, say, a "pearl" colored one with ABS and the power package, and nothing else. There's a reasonable chance the dealer could find exactly that within his stock or with other local dealers, but if not, they'd have to submit an order for it, which he said would take 3 months.

I ended up with a used Toyota Matrix, by the way.

ObTopic: When I ordered my PowerBook I made the mistake of making it BTO and putting it on an Apple financing account ("180 days no interest and no payments on your first purchase!") AND ordering some software to go with it. Yup - the $200 software got shipped -- and billed -- first, a few weeks before the PowerBook shipped. I enjoyed a 6-month interest-free loan of $200, but got to pay 28.8% interest on the other $3000 :mad:

16. D.av1d macrumors newbie

D.av1d

As a fellow Quebecer I sympathies with you, but I do have this to say. I ordered my current iMac two years ago, the first Intel iMac, and I had it custom built. I opted for expedite shipping, and even with that, it took...ohh a weeks and a half to get it. Like people have said, they just don't build your iMac down in China, they build a ton of iMacs. So while a Canon printer can be taken off a pallet in Ontario and shipped ASAP to you, a custom made computer takes time.

So really, you have nothing to worry about. UPS (for me) never updates the last few days of shipping, so to say "they lost your order" is very premature.

IT'S ON IT WAY, calm down si vu plè!! :)

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You ordered Oct 29 and the machine arrived in Ontario sometime before Nov 9th (You can't count it as the 10th just 'cause it's 1:15 in the AM on a Saturday) . So, 9 business days. If it is in Canada, you should have it the next day. UPS lost it? #@&^ happens. I fail to see where Apple has done you badly.

Rules:
    Don't customize a machine and expect it to deliver fast.
    Don't arrange for a courier delivery when you have a narrow window of reception time or if you can't sign for it. Either order with more lead time, or buy locally, or have it shipped to a local shop or courier depot for pickup. Relying on couriers for accurate delivery time is a high risk game.

18. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Another rule: NO UNWARRANTED WHINING.

19. steken macrumors newbie

Another happy customer

I ordered my iMac on line, live in NZ and it was shipped the next day arriving here from Australia in about half a week. I also ordered an Airport Extreme, both packages arrived the same time. The only unfortunate thing being the local courier 'dunce' who normally leaves packages exposed to the elements or leaning against the automatic garage door (DUH big time) decided to deliver one package in the morning and the next later in the day. This despite the courier company having been given the consignment at the same time. But hey, he must have felt ripped that it it was a sunny day and no water to leave it in (joke-delivery on signature I know).

Steken

20. kylep6190 macrumors member

Apple has a lot of orders to fill. They are growing so fast that it is hard for them to keep up. It's not like they can just go out and hire a few thousand more employees in a day. 10-20 days doesn't really seem that unreasonable for something thats been customized and is shipped from halfway around the world.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well this is half true. Yes Apple is growing but I do not think that delivery times have suffered as a result. I could be wrong.

Besides, the OP came here specifically to bitch and moan. His name was clearly created with a sense of aggravation behind it and he has no intention of listening to rational responses. He's probably never going to come back here either but if you want to be rational with him I bet you can find him over at the dell forums bitching about the wait time on his custom XPS.

22. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

Patience is a virtue! Im waiting 4 weeks for mine. In Fact its closer to 5 weeks. But i know it'll be worth the wait!

I must say i got mine with iwork preinstalled...why is that a bad idea? (i ordered my first mac so not overflowing with knowledge)

23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I am wanting to get a new iMac for the family and get the family pack of 10.5.
    I just bought a new iPod Nano for my 9yr old, guess what, it needs 10.4.8 minimum. I only have us with 10.3.9 (I have been buying every other update, I will skip 10.6 and buy 10.7).
    I was thinking of ordering online or going to the apple store in Charlotte this week (I am near there a few times a week). I was checking up on whether or not to buy or wait and found this thread. Now for the question....If I pick one up at the Apple store can they upgrade the hard drive there, or do they only sell the minimum spec?
    thanks
    BTW does anyone know if they expect another iMac update before Dec 1?

24. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

What I don't get is why problems with UPS shipping is somehow Apple's fault? Shouldn't the OP's name be Nomoreups instead of Nomoreapple? I've had minor problems with UPS in the past (although they've been fine for the last couple of years or so), but I don't blame the companies I've bought from on-line for that.

--Eric

25. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I have to think that anyone who registers on Macrumors with the name nomoreapple and posts a thread like this loses almost all credibility. I ordered a custom configured iMac on Leopard launch day Friday evening with standard shipping and it arrived in the Midwest USA the following Wednesday. Shipping times vary and it depends where in the world you live but in the USA I have ordered many macs and have always been impressed with shipping times.

I have one iMac currently lost in shipment with FEDEX. When it did not arrive I called customer service and they immediately contacted FEDEX while I was on the line, confirmed that they could not account for it, apologized, asked if I wanted to have it replaced or refunded if not found, and have followed up with emails.