Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
While it's slightly off-topic, I have a quick question about something similar. I have no problem waiting two weeks to get a computer I'm waiting 5 months for as it is, but, am I correct in saying that any modifications done in the online store to the computer add on to the shipping time? So if I'm upping to the 2GB of RAM instead of the 1GB in my Macbook, that's going to make it "custom" and take longer? Like I said, I don't care, I'm just wondering. And I planned on getting Logic Express pre-installed, but if it's going to add on more time to the already-extra time for the RAM, should I just buy Logic Express seperately in my order? I'm assuming yes, but just wondering.

LeMacK

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
NY
I am wanting to get a new iMac for the family and get the family pack of 10.5.
I just bought a new iPod Nano for my 9yr old, guess what, it needs 10.4.8 minimum. I only have us with 10.3.9 (I have been buying every other update, I will skip 10.6 and buy 10.7).
I was thinking of ordering online or going to the apple store in Charlotte this week (I am near there a few times a week). I was checking up on whether or not to buy or wait and found this thread. Now for the question....If I pick one up at the Apple store can they upgrade the hard drive there, or do they only sell the minimum spec?
thanks
BTW does anyone know if they expect another iMac update before Dec 1?

I believe they only sell the standard configurations at the Apple store, but if you want an upgraded HD or RAM they can order it for you at the store and the shipping is free (I think).

Personally, I've had great experiences ordering Macs online from Apple (4 in the past 6 years.) I'd suggest that you configure your machine the way you want online and see what the expected ship date is. If the wait is too long for you, then try the Apple store.

Hope that helps.

While it's slightly off-topic, I have a quick question about something similar. I have no problem waiting two weeks to get a computer I'm waiting 5 months for as it is, but, am I correct in saying that any modifications done in the online store to the computer add on to the shipping time? So if I'm upping to the 2GB of RAM instead of the 1GB in my Macbook, that's going to make it "custom" and take longer? Like I said, I don't care, I'm just wondering. And I planned on getting Logic Express pre-installed, but if it's going to add on more time to the already-extra time for the RAM, should I just buy Logic Express seperately in my order? I'm assuming yes, but just wondering.

Hardware upgrades through the online store may change your expected ship date, but not always. You can check this online, by configuring your machine without actually submitting the order.

Also, I would NOT recommend getting any software pre-installed, buy it separately in the same order.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Many answers.....

Just want to share my nightmarish experience to all people thinking of purchasing iMac on line or through a phone rep. Here are key findings:

Be prepared for very long waits for your shipment. Because the sales rep has no idea where the computer is coming from, it can come from Shanghi, California, Canada, planet Saturn... Depending on where you live, this can be a 10-20 business day difference, although your credit card is charged instantly. It's a really nice feeling when you get charged for a purchase you don't have on hand. Therefore, never believe the sales rep when they say it is fast and easy. It is not. In fact, it is quite painful and disappointing.

Don't bother with expedited shipment. It makes no difference, because the shipping is going to drag for so long you might have forgotten you ordered one by the time you received it. Again, if you want to get a mac on-line or by phone, just arm yourself with a lot of patience and schedule yourself a three four week wait time. Sit back and watch with the tracking as your computer will travel through cities and oceans you might not have heard of.

Don't customize your computer with added software. One added software will make your computer customized, which means you can't return it if something happens. Just buy the standard regular, and buy the software separately.

Be prepared for separate shipment if you order a computer and a printer. It's because both are coming from different countries. The printer can arrive in two days, while the computer will still be in deep space nine, in the delta quadrant, 30,000 light years away.

If something goes wrong, ask for the supervisor instead of wasting your time with the front line pawns. They don't know anything and they all contradict each other it is laughable.

I am one with very little patience. In the end, after sitting for two weeks still with no computer, enough is enough. I initiated the return process with the supervisor. My "customized" computer is still stuck somewhere in deep space nine while the printer has been stuck in some UPS facility for two weeks, but I don't care anymore. I will now refuse delivery when it finally arrives. Apparently, everything will find their way back where they came from. And I'll get my refund. Gee, I wonder how long that will take.

Good luck to everyone.

1. Before you order online, buy from a reputable company. it should not take 3 or 4 weeks to get a computer! I ordered my iMac online at the end of October and it was delivered this week!

2. Almost all companies will NOT charge your credit card until your item is shipped.

3. There is no such thing as a package getting stuck at a UPS facility. Your package gets a tracking number when SHIPPED, not before.

This is a lesson in doing your homework before you buy in a store or online!
Unless you bought the iMac directly from Apple, don't blame Apple! Also could you have gone to an Apple Store instead of ordering online?

I have bought computers from PowerMax and Small Dog without any issues or problems.

Sorry for your experience.

This sales woman potentially lied to you in telling you Leopard would be preinstalled. I ordered my iMac on 23 October and it came with Leopard as a separate DVD.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
3. There is no such thing as a package getting stuck at a UPS facility. Your package gets a tracking number when SHIPPED, not before.

Actually, your package gets a tracking number as soon as a UPS label is printed. It could still be days before the package is picked up by UPS to begin its journey.

You could do the same. Go to Staples and pick up a FedEx package envelope. There, you've got a tracking number -- and you haven't even put anything in the envelope yet! Now look up the tracking number, and Fedex's website will say it doesn't know where the package is -- because you haven't given it to them yet.

Could be the same thing going on with the shipping facility... the package is put together, the tracking number is automatically assigned and emailed to you, but the package isn't physically in UPS's hands for a while yet.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Anybody remember the way things were just a few years back?

I waited over a month for my original iMac G5. And I considered myself to be lucky: Powermac G5 users were supposedly waiting months.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I believe they only sell the standard configurations at the Apple store, but if you want an upgraded HD or RAM they can order it for you at the store and the shipping is free (I think).

Personally, I've had great experiences ordering Macs online from Apple (4 in the past 6 years.) I'd suggest that you configure your machine the way you want online and see what the expected ship date is. If the wait is too long for you, then try the Apple store.

Hope that helps.

I ordered over the phone, bought a refurb 17" core2 2.0 for $849 with $119 for edu discount apple care, went and bought the new wireless router to do the wireless network shared drive too. Got a great deal, love the refurb stuff.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006

DON'T upgrade RAM through Apple. They grossly overcharge. It is very simple and authorized by Apple for you to install your own RAM.

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
I think the OP was venting at apple's typical arrogance.
They never supply enough of a product they hype up (except the ****** iPhone which no one here cares about). When they expect to sell a lot, they restrict features and increase profit (a la iPhone).
People end up waiting months for their computers. i.e. the 2.8ghz iMac, incredibly hard to get in australia for a month or two.

Ah well... its all part of being part of apple. I can say we got our 20" iMac no too slowly (3 weeks). Other manufacturers have the same problem when a product becomes very popular. i.e. the Dell xps m1330.

I guess try to avoid buying anything popular and new, unless its been out for a few months.

Nomoreapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
I think what I was most upset with was that the apple sales rep was not honest with me.

Lie #1 Leopard is preinstalled on computers shipped from the apple online store beginning Oct 26.

False. Leopard is not going to be preinstalled. It is shipped in CD form to give the customer the choice of using it.

Lie #2 Don't buy from the apple store. Their stock is old. The salespeople in those stores have outdated information regarding the 9.95 upgrade.

False. The apple store's stock is not any older or newer than the stock in the apple online store. At least the stores have stock I might add, because it looks like the online store has no stock because it is shipping from China.

Lie #3 Having iwork preinstalled for you will make your life easier.

False. Not only will it make the computer customed configured and hence not returnable, this will prolong the delivery process and increase the likelihood of it coming from China, on the other side of the planet.

Lie #4 Shipping is fast and furious. You will receive it within days with expedited shipment.

False. How can she state this when sales reps have no clue where the computer will come from. To estimate shipping time, one has to know both the place of origin and destination.

I know most of you are apple fans, so it is natural for you to find my comments offensive. But facts are facts. My posts are meant for new potential mac buyers who for whatever reasons, need to buy online or by calling apple sales reps. I hope after they read my posts, they will adjust their expectations accordingly and not be disillusioned the way I was. I know if I were to have read this beforehand, I would have chosen to do things differently.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
For some, it may just be apple fan-boyism. However, a lot of us have had really good luck with shipping and online ordering and all that, myself included. (Amazing service and speed, actually.) So, while we sympathise with your horrible experience, not everyone is going to have a great experience, obviously. Future mac buyers should know this stuff, but it's not like there's this horrible wall of "bad service," that cannot be gotten around with any Apple products.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
You can always get your credit card company involved.

Ring Amex (or whomever) and tell them you are not happy with this retailer and will not pay the bill. The credit card company will usually ring Apple on your behalf and try to sort out a favorable result for you.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Lie #4 Shipping is fast and furious. You will receive it within days with expedited shipment.

False. How can she state this when sales reps have no clue where the computer will come from. To estimate shipping time, one has to know both the place of origin and destination.

And you would receive it within days had UPS not delayed or lost it for some reason. That's an unforeseen circumstance outside of Apple's control.

You seem to think that because something's coming from China, they throw it on a rowboat and some poor guy has to cross the Pacific ocean in it. There's a little something called airplanes that packages go on, and in case you didn't know, airplanes go really, really fast. I once had something leave Hong Kong on a Monday and arrive at my house in Missouri on Wednesday. That's quicker than ground packages that come from either the West or East coast.

A rep doesn't need to know the exact origin and destination. If they pay UPS for say, 3 day shipping, then, barring any unforeseen circumstances, it will take 3 days to arrive from point A to point B, regardless of where point A and point B are. Planes are fast enough to get a package around the world a few times in 3 days, so they can certainly get your package halfway around the world in 3 days.

As far as possible unforeseen circumstances that can delay your package...you can have it delayed in customs. Really bad weather can prevent a plane from taking off or landing on time. The plane could have had a mechanical failure and needed to return to the airport. Or, what's more likely than any of the above, is UPS just flat out screwed up. Happens all the time. And all of those are beyond Apple's control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.