I wanna put vista on my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jesusplay, Jan 4, 2008.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

my mom purchased a laptop last month that has microsoft Windows Vista Business.

i want to put vista on my iMac so i can play some pc games.

is their any way i can make a boot disc from the vista on her laptop so i can install vista on my iMac with bootcamp?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not legally, no. Time to shell out $150 for an OEM copy of Home Premium.

Note that retail or generic OEM Vista install discs can be used to install any version of Vista for a 30 day period without a product key, before activation is required. However, most OEM installs come with restore discs instead that are tied to the hardware in question. If reinstalling it once a month is your thing, you might be able to survive in this mode.

B

3. Wilson1984 macrumors newbie

4. danidoll521 macrumors regular

I second this. XP is much better than Vista, and not to mention more stable.

5. jesusplay thread starter macrumors 6502a

can it run gears of war? and those windows live games?

6. matperk macrumors 6502

if you happen to be a student you can get vista from academic superstore for like $75 and depending on the school maybe even cheaper from them.

7. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

didn't the laptop come with the vista install disks?

8. thesdx macrumors 6502a

It should. Agreed, Windows Vista is terrible. Get XP, it's much faster, less annoying, and IMHO, easier. Of course, nothing is better than OS X, but XP is the best version of Windoze. :rolleyes:

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

don't believe those who suggest XP for you!

Vista is latest system, nice UI, improved security, newest DirectX great for future games. The Current line of iMac has ENOUGH power to run vista smoothly.

There is absolutely nothing about vista being slow. How much ram do you think imac have? 512MB? please. Update some information about windows won't hurt you, even if you guys never use it.

10. Templex macrumors regular

No one said anything about Vista being slow...

11. Mr.Macintosh macrumors newbie

Improved security? Ha! All it does is ask you for your password like 2 times when you try to install something. You call it "improved security", I call it annoying.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Vista really isn't that bad, it's just different. I'm running it on the 4 year old Dell P4 I keep my iTunes library on.

The few annoyances I have with it are quite minor: I keep having to resort to online help to find out where they moved things in control panel, and Nero's ImageDrive app won't work.

I will also say that it does seem to thrash the HDD a bit when apparently idle, but it sounds like that is something that will be addressed in SP1.

B

13. jesusplay thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, preistanlled?

14. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

this might be going off topic, but what do you do if you need to reformat the drive?

15. pokrface macrumors member

MS operating systems are not like MacOS. You will need an activation key to install Vista on your iMac. Your computer will not accept the activation key that came with your mom's computer because it is already in use.

The only way to get Vista on your iMac is to buy it.

16. ashawley macrumors newbie

I had Vista on my Bootcamp partition, but after about 2 months I switched back to XP.

I've found that it IS slower (on a 4GB RAM 24" AlumiMac). It definitely takes more resources to run and draws harder on the graphics card. Oh, and it's ugly. :)

My opinion is that if you are doing it just for games than you most definitely want XP on there and not Vista.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you don't install apps every 5 minutes, or every week for normal users, and it is improved security, lets not deny the fact first before any sincere judgement.
    osx isn't better on that, and remember vista runs fine on intel GMA950.

18. jesusplay thread starter macrumors 6502a

i wanna use directx 10, xp is onyl at direct x 9

19. Wilson1984 macrumors newbie

Since this is a rumor sight, Ill let you in on a secret. Vista was devoloped with the code name "millennium 2" . Thats how awesome it is.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are restore disks, but I can bet you that it's machine specific AND it requires an unique serial number (which checks online, and may disable your install if more than 1 copy is running).

21. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you must get windows, you probably want XP, as Vista is a resource hog.

23. K-Funk macrumors member

Is Vista really so much of a "resource hog" if you just turn off all the stupid 3D and "glass" effects?

24. smogsy macrumors 6502a

vista isnt a resource hog it uses extra ram when idle to do certain tasks to keep your pc clean and tidy

for example it thrashes your hardrive as 1 member said to index all your files but where the bug lys is it does it on every bootup.

vista doesnt lag at all on my pc. but i do have a high end pc.

i can run vista on 380MB of ram if i wanted/needed to.

once u play around with some services.

mac on saturday for me though :D

once sp1 is out which is between now and march it should be lot better

50% performance boot sp1 is supposedly going to give. with around 1GB download by Microsoft Spokesman :eek:

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i kinda think those who suggest XP, they might just want to keep having the chance of bashing windows being "ugly".

I mean, come on, for the specs of modern iMac, where is the problem running vista?