I want a ipad. Help me out

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Geoff., Jun 9, 2010.

1. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Okay so i have a Macbook late summer 09 model and a recently bought iPhone 3GS, and i want to purchase a iPad, but my parents won't supply the money and i don't have any.

So im either thinking sell the Macbook and buy the iPad or Sell the iPhone and buy the iPad eventhough id doubt id get alot for the phone now since iPhone4 is out eventhough its only a month old.

Suggestions?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The iPad will really need a host so think twice about selling the MB.

3. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I have a old dell desktop running XP with 1 GB of ram, 3.12 GHZ and a 250 GB HD so i could use that.

I love my mac though and my phone argh tough call.

My parents cant really see why i NEED the ipad and there extremely non techy people and just see it as another laptop sort of

4. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

What a horrible thing to suggest. work? earn? pfft.:rolleyes:

5. JasO macrumors regular

I'll side with your parents here, why do you need the iPad? Where exactly would it fit into your lifestyle anyway?

Unless you only use the macbook to browse the web on non flash sites then I'd suggest you keep it the macbook rather than sell it for the iPad.

You could get rid of the iPhone now as it will only keep depreciating...depends on what you really want/need/want to fondle.

6. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I actualy don't do much on my macbook i browse the web alot and play music and yes non flash websites

7. JasO macrumors regular

Well if you really only use the macbook for those tasks and have another computer to sync the iPad with then sell the Macbook!

8. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I'd start with the obvious steps, things that usually get a parental unit to soften. In no certain order:

Get a job, earn at least part of the cost;
    Clean your room, keep it clean;
    Do your chores without moan or groan;
    --If you don't do "chores" already, volunteer;
    Bring those grades up... just as a suggestion, I'd say start with English..:p ;

And so on. That'll at least get Mom to start working on Dad on your behalf... "George, he's worked so hard, and he really wants this pad-thing...."

Oh, and play outside more.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

job 1 |jäb|
    noun
    1 a paid position of regular employment

10. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

or just dont get the iPad considering you absolutely do not need it

11. CartoonHeroII macrumors member

CartoonHeroII

And who absolutely does need it? Who's job is now possible because of the iPad? I come up with ways how things in my life/work/school could be made a little more convenient almost everyday, but I can't think of a time that anyone would absolutely need an iPad. Absolutely want, yes. I know I'm in that category :D

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, what the hell is wrong with your parents? A MacBook and a 3GS. I would call child protection services and tell them that they beat you. I'm so sorry for your hardships.

13. brendu macrumors 68020

14. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I started out in 2008 with a $10 iMac G3 first computer wasn't until I was on my own when I got an Air Pro and iPhone just enjoy the macbook and keep in mind no one needs an iPad its great but a macbook is hundreds of times better.

15. capn7 macrumors member

wtf kid you are spoiled you have an expensive laptop and are going to sell it for some piece of garbage that is identical to something that can fit in your pocket.

16. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Well i think since im only using my mac for like only web browsing and music the iPad could replace it.

Im trying to put the money together im in the process of selling my Xbox that i don't play anymore because my little bro got a ps3.

I might take 250 out of the bank + 120 for the xbox thats 370€. Im getting there

There on sale here for 575€, there not even in the country properly ( ireland ) but i know a company near me selling them.

17. Ethnarg macrumors newbie

You have an iPhone, why on earth do you need an iPad??? Just be happy with what you have, and if you REALLY must have an iPad, get a job, or if your too young to do that, do some odd jobs around your neighborhood for cash, and buy it yourself.

18. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Get a job,save up for it! Novel concept in this day of instant gratification, but even 8 weeks of flipping burgers, and you're in

19. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

And how are you going to afford the 'apps' after you buy it?
    Why not just stick with the macbook?

Are your parents okay with you taking $250 out of the bank?
    What are you going to do for trivial expenses(going out with friends/movies/buying other trivial stuff that you don't really need)?
    Save your money!

Or here's a novel idea, give a present to your parents by paying that month's food, utilities, and gas (or a portion thereof). Show them how much you appreciate what they've done for you for these past 15 years!

20. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

21. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Wow... Spoilt? Your parents won't supply the money, as you DON'T NEED IT.

Now if it's only a WANT. Then sell the MacBook. But I believe you only want it as it's the latest technology out there. And I'm presuming you're still in High School, so you won't need it, heck; you probably wouldn't even take it outside your own home or a friends.

So conclusion: Keep your MacBook..

22. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Have you tried emailing Steve Jobs, and asking him nicely for one? Be sure to specify 3G or Wifi.

23. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

you would be very silly to sell either your macbook or iphone to get an ipad. the macbook is more capable than the ipad and the iphone is more portable. apart from the 'cool factor' how will the ipad help you?

24. obafgkm macrumors member

I think what most people are saying here is not the above, but rather something like "whose iPad is now possible because of a job?".

And most respondents would say theirs are.