Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbracco

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
What types of HD's are good to replace in a Macbook.. I was looking for something cheap and more than my current 120gb drive

Thanks!

:apple:Joey:apple:

Dudeman486

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
another question for anyone that has installed a new hard drive and uses leopard. is it possible to bypass migration assistant and put the data on the new drive using time machine?

if not, how did you get your data onto the new drive? i'll take a wild guess and say SuperDuper, but hey, any alternative solutions would be welcome.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Buy a WD Passport Elite or Essential 320gb hard drive. They are around $100-$120 on eBay, at Best Buy, etc... The drives in Passport are the WD Scorpio WD3200BEVT.

Format the WD drive, GUID and and Mac Extended (journalized) settings. Clone your hard drive using Super Duper to the WD drive. Super Duper makes an exact copy of your hard drive.

Test that the computer can boot to the WD drive.

Remove the drive from the enclosure and replace it with old hard drive. Put the old hard drive in the enclosure and you now have a backup drive.

Power up the computer and you are good to go.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Is there not something about the WD externals having a much smaller cache than the regular WD Scorpio's (or even no cache). Makes them cheaper and there is little use for a cache on an external....

I would buy a cheap 2.5 inch SATA enclosure for the WD Scorpio and then use SuperDuper or CarbonClone to clone the existing hard drive.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
another question for anyone that has installed a new hard drive and uses leopard. is it possible to bypass migration assistant and put the data on the new drive using time machine?

Yes, I did it. Just boot from the leopard DVD and choose restore from Time Machine in the menu.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Is there not something about the WD externals having a much smaller cache than the regular WD Scorpio's (or even no cache). Makes them cheaper and there is little use for a cache on an external....

I would buy a cheap 2.5 inch SATA enclosure for the WD Scorpio and then use SuperDuper or CarbonClone to clone the existing hard drive.

The WD 320gb is the same drive if you buy it with an enclosure or without one. The both have the same 8mb cache. This was confirmed when I took the drive out of the computer, and also when I called WD . All of there 320gb 5400 drives are one in the same. WD3200BEVT.

Attachments

• WD1.jpg
    WD1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 145
  • WD2.jpg
    WD2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 125

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
The WD 320gb is the same drive if you buy it with an enclosure or without one. The both have the same 8mb cache. This was confirmed when I took the drive out of the computer, and also when I called WD . All of there 320gb 5400 drives are one in the same. WD3200BEVT.

Thanks for that - it must have been the "smaller" Passport drives (160GB?) that have a small or no cache.

I have a 320GB in my MacBook and recommend buying one (either in a Passport or normal internal).

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
I bought the wd passport yesterday. After prying open the thing and nearly cutting my fingers trying to be gentle I find out it's not the scorpio. What the hell? My model number is WD3200BMVS so is this not the same what should I do??? Sucks!!!

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
I can't seem to find any info on this model number and don't know if it's the same as the scorpio. I do see that the manufacture date is July while that picture earlier was April. So you think it's comparable? Install it or return it?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I can't seem to find any info on this model number and don't know if it's the same as the scorpio. I do see that the manufacture date is July while that picture earlier was April. So you think it's comparable? Install it or return it?

Google seems to think it has a 8MB cache so specs seem the same as the BEVT model.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver

I couldn't find that model doing a search either. What model Passport was this in? Both of mine are the Passport Elite, and they are Scorpio.

As long as it is a 2.5", SATA drive, it will work.

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
I couldn't find that model doing a search either. What model Passport was this in? Both of mine are the Passport Elite, and they are Scorpio.

As long as it is a 2.5", SATA drive, it will work.

I bought the passport essential not the elite. Is that why but I thought that guy said it's in both.

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Yeah I'm sure it will work but wanted the scorpio since the reviews on it are so good you know. Pretty bummed and fingers numb haha.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Yeah I have it out. It's the same exact as the pic about but the model number is WD3200BMVS

The only 2.5" 320gb drive they make is the Scorpio. So I doubt it would be anything other than that. The guy I talked to at WD told me that ALL Passports have a Scorpio drive in them

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
The only 2.5" 320gb drive they make is the Scorpio. So I doubt it would be anything other than that. The guy I talked to at WD told me that ALL Passports have a Scorpio drive in them

And to further back that up, I have used about 7 or 8 Passport Essentials for this kind of swap in client machines and they have all been Scorpios- so far!:D.

Edit: I just thought about it and they have all been 250Gb ones, so suppose that could potentially make a difference...

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Ok I went ahead and installed the hard drive. My boot time is slow as hell now. It used to be 30 seconds now it's a minute. So here are my questions. I used the super duper to clone everything. After finishing I didn't check to see if it would boot when it was still an external I just went ahead and swapped it out. I also noticed that it took up a lot of space. Before I had a 120 gig drive with all my stuff it left 80 gb. Now with with this 320 it leaves 240 gigs. I guess it backed up the drive twice?? Now anyone have any pointers or what to get my boot time faster or why its so slow. Did I do something wrong. Do a clean install???

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
I'm really scared to open my macbook, do you think they might include 320GB as an option for the next macbook update?:apple:

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Ok I went ahead and installed the hard drive. My boot time is slow as hell now. It used to be 30 seconds now it's a minute. So here are my questions. I used the super duper to clone everything. After finishing I didn't check to see if it would boot when it was still an external I just went ahead and swapped it out. I also noticed that it took up a lot of space. Before I had a 120 gig drive with all my stuff it left 80 gb. Now with with this 320 it leaves 240 gigs. I guess it backed up the drive twice?? Now anyone have any pointers or what to get my boot time faster or why its so slow. Did I do something wrong. Do a clean install???

Try a repair permissions and Drive Repair first.

I don't think you could have backed it up twice. Look at your files to see if you've gotten anything big in there (And why did you upgrade to a 320 when you were using only 30?)

macornomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Ok an update everything is back to normal. I just did a clean install and the new hard drive is just like the old. Thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.