I want a real scientific calculator!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Erasmus, May 9, 2009.

1. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Hello everyone,
    I have an iPod Touch, and I'm a little disappointed with the quality of the inbuilt calculator. Yes, it claims to be a scientific calculator when you rotate it by 90 degrees, but it doesn't do it for me. To me, a scientific calculator has two lines, one for entering numbers, and reading the answer, and one above which shows the equation that has been entered. Yes, it has bracket, exponential, trig, etc. functionality, but when you can't see what's been entered, it's a bit difficult to make sure you don't make a mistake.
    Does anyone know of any applications that would provide this two-line functionality, so the calculator is more like a proper scientific calculator? (Or any other ways?)

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Did you try searching the App Store? A quick search using the term "scientific calculator" brought up over 30 results in the U.S. App Store...

3. Erasmus thread starter macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Yeah, I did. but most seem to be just slightly different to the standard Apple one. And anyway, there's only 4 results for that same search in the Australian store.

But obviously I missed one. Shall try SciCal Lite.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Take a look at PCalc. I've been using it both on the iPhone and on the Mac, for years.

5. AustinZ macrumors member

AustinZ

I'm not sure if it's available in the Australian store, but you might want to try searching for an app called 'SpaceTime'. It's not exactly a two-line scientific calculator, more like a CAS environment such as Maple or Mathematica (and correspondingly more expensive), but it'll definitely be able to do what you want it to do.

For something less expensive, try searching 'Graphing Calculator'. I have a graphing calculator app called 'Graphing Calculator' (you can find it by searching 'Gabor Nagy', at least in the US store), which costs 0.99USD (used to be free), and has the functionality you're talking about.

Here are the sites for the two apps I mentioned:

http://www.iphone-calc.com/wp/
    http://www.spacetime.us/iphone/

Hope this helps! I spent a while trying to find a program to do the same thing as well.

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

To me, a "real" scientific calculator has at least a 4-level RPN stack and the 2nd line, while handy, is not mandatory. But it shows the previous value on the stack, not the equation entered so far. So there.

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

You were cool back in the day if you had a TI-85 while everyone else had a TI-82.