I want different multi-touch gestures - Which software should I use?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bollweevil, Aug 23, 2011.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

Here is what I want:

1. A gesture to activate the App Switcher. Currently, Command+Tab is the only way to get the App Switcher on Lion.

2. A gesture to scroll all the way to the bottom or all the way to the top of a web page. Three-finger scroll up/down used to do this on Snow Leopard, but it just doesn't work on Lion.

Will any of the following do either of these two things?

Jitouch
    BetterTouchTool
    MagicPrefs

Thank you.

2. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Set up a hot corner to activate MC. That's basically a gesture. Or just swipe with 3 fingers that way it is now.

What's an "App Switcher" in Lion anyway?

3. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want Mission Control, I want the App Switcher.

I explained this in my original post. The App Switcher comes up when you press Command and Tab at the same time. On Snow Leopard, you could bring it up by swiping left or right with four fingers. And I loved that. The option is totally gone in Lion.

4. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

+1, I have about 15 different gestures with it, some app specific some global, like two finger page swipe in Firefox, app store, etc. It is amazing what BTT can do and it has been enhanced for Lion specific features, like I have a three finger click for full screen toggle and a four finger click to go to the dashboard. The software rocks. My only complaint is that it does not restart during a reboot, don't know why, the preference setting is right, so its a bug of sorts, but not a big deal.

6. 87racer macrumors member

87racer

agreed on BTT. cannot use os x without it. try adding it to your "login items" in "system preferences" and "users and groups". you just drag the app from your applications folder to the list.
    BetterTouchTool

Attached Files:

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

Ah that is a good idea, thanks for the tip, that should work.

8. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Any new developments in the past month?

Have there been any new developments in the past month? Is BetterTouchTool still the best option?

What have other people tried?

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I have bettertouchtool as well, but it isn't without it's problems. Many, including myself, have dropped clicks, which can be really annoying. You click once and nothing happens, you click again and it registers. Hopefully the dev will iron those out.

10. bully worm macrumors regular

BTT is the greatest app for any operating system of all time. I've got well over 50+ gestures ranging from Safari to Chrome to mail to global gestures. Off of this app alone, I don't think I can go back to a PC and I'm dead serious too.

The ease and efficiency of BTT is untouched.

Brief glimpse of my gestures here.

[​IMG]

Also, this app combined with the application launcher app, Alfred, is Godly. Being able to assign keyboard shortcuts to open apps and folders, and then being able to assign a gesture to those keyboard shortcuts, is fantastic.

Alfred application switcher is here: http://www.alfredapp.com/

11. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

would you mind posting that file? It seems very useful.

12. bully worm macrumors regular

Sure.
    Here's a download link.
    http://goo.gl/vs0FY

Select "download files to my computer" on the right and just hit download.

Also, modify the gestures to your liking. This is what is comfortable to me. You will also see that I assigned some gestures to keyboard shortcuts to open apps. You'll need to download Alfred and assign those keyboard shortcuts in order to use them in BTT.

13. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

+1 BetterTouchTool

Love it Love it Love it!

I've just made Gestures in Lion more like they were in Snow Leopard. With a couple extra too.

Attached Files:

14. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Long time LaunchBar user. Alfred does sound interesting though.

15. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Better Touch Tool has an annoying bug that doesn't allow you to make a gesture within a few seconds of having made a gesture. For example, you can't swipe, and then swipe again. You need to wait a second or two and then swipe again, which makes it feel like it's lagging or something.

16. marc11 macrumors 68000

17. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

This happens to me every so often. Also, I felt like it interfered with some of my other gestures. For example, I like to click and drag to move windows, but BTT kept trying to recognize it as another gesture, so nothing would happen. And yeah, I refuse to change my click and dragging ways. :eek: