I want my color back (in Finder)!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Bigmacduck, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

I want my color back in Finder! I seriously miss the color icons in the left pane of Finder. Monochrome does not make it more user-friendly.

2. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

No, however, I do find that it makes it less garish. I never thought the coloured icons played well together ... aesthetically. But to each their own, I suppose. I am sure someone will soon post instructions of how to replace the monochrome with colour versions again.

3. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

Please revert back to Snow Leopard and provide feedback to Apple.

4. mr.datsun, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

mr.datsun macrumors member

I agree. A step backwards

Some people argue that it is for the designers who use OS X. Designers need monochrome tools to design with. But most design tools have options for previewing on a neutral background, so that's no good reason in itself.

Some people say (as does someone above) that colour in icons looks garish. How can a few subtle spots of colour in the icons in the Finder windows' sidebars or in the bar at the top of an application be considered garish. It's hardly Windows-like, is it?

Some say that it's functional as it helps the user to focus on the files in the right-hand side of the window. But the Snow Leopard design has a blue underlay to the icons at the left and the bar at the top is grey – so the files which are on white can still stand-out.

Some people say that it's cooler. But we have lost both colour and contrast* in the Apple desktop design and so what we have gained in cool designer-consumer values we have now lost in usability. We have been 'enjoying' this design in iTunes before OSX Lion and I for one have found it less clear to 'read' and navigate as a result. One could actually argue that this move discriminates against people with impaired vision. And as many people above 40 begin to suffer from a degradation in their near-sightedness then you could argue that this new design approach is also ageist - and that could include any of you sooner than you think. I don't think that saying it's cooler is any good reason if it makes a UI harder to use for people.

I'm surprised that Apple have gone down this route. I'm surprised that it does not contradict Apple's own HCI Guidelines and I'm surprised that disability groups have not raised the issue.

*The original Apple interface used high contrast before colour was introduced and it still looked cool. Contrast was reduced when colour was added but now colour is being removed and contrast is not being re-introduced.

5. mr.datsun macrumors member

I'm happy to send my post to them. Where should I send it?

6. Jelite macrumors 6502a

I thought this with iTunes then after doing the hack to get the colour icons back realised i prefer the cleaner monochrome look. Keep an eye out here http://macthemes.net/forum/ im sure someone will have a solution.

7. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

8. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

I like the mono look, less distracting and more unified.

9. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Exactly, It is basically the same reason Apple products are white, grey and black. They are universally more appealing

10. danielnord macrumors newbie

The problem is not only the lack of colors

My problem is that every favorite folder I have added has the same icon even if I have a custom one. See attachment.

I've filed a bug to bugreport.apple.com

Attached Files:

11. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

I have an issue with this as well. I like the monochrome look, but I still want custom icons (I don't mind them being monochrome-d either)

12. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Did the font in the Sidebar change size or is it just the monochrome look? The font looks larger to me. Is there anyway to make it smaller?

13. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

It's hidden away in System Prefs > General.

Attached Files:

14. Ropie macrumors regular

Ropie

It's there in the view options - small, medium or large.

15. chillvisio macrumors member

chillvisio

I shall bet that the next OS X icons will be with inverted colors :) or why not green on black (shell style) as it will be more fancy and not so distracting ;)
    Just wrote a feedback to Apple.

16. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

One program I liked in Snow Leopard (don't know if it works in Lion yet) is Candybar: http://www.panic.com/candybar/

It's a shareware app that lets you change icons (including the generic system icons). There are boatloads of icons you can use. Pretty cool.

17. rebby macrumors 6502

Awesome. Thank you for that tidbit. Much better now.

18. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Thanks guys.

19. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Agreed. Elegant and subtle.

Leave the colour mish-mash to the other OS makers.

Except this is not a bug. It's by design.

20. Julien, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What seems even strange is Apple left the Background/Color/Picture selection. It's just grayed out. Why leave it in the menu if "it's by design"confused:

Also nothing wrong with giving people a choice. I like having a light gray background below the icons. That is just my preference.

21. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Would love to have an option to put the colour back in (not just in finder)

But they removed it from iTunes and it never came back so I dont have much hope of it coming back to Lion

22. slinky199 macrumors regular

They just copied some linux themes.

23. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

to me the new sidebar has something about it that makes it look like an awful Windows explorer add-on for XP to make it look like OS X

24. laurentpompidou macrumors newbie

Was trying to make the sidebar fonts smaller, thanks!

25. orthorim macrumors 6502

Write your feedback here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

The more, the merrier.

Another thing I noticed when changing the font size on the sidebar: That also changes the font size in Mail.app... so this sidebar is some sort of system wide thing. Which is wrong.

I don't object to the grey sidebar in Mail, it makes sense there, and Mail is generally way better than before.

In the Finder, it's just stupid, I can't find anything, I have to put some effort in even to find Applications, documents, etc. And it's hard to eject external disks now.