I Want to buy a PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by izzyrhoads, Jul 16, 2013.

1. izzyrhoads macrumors newbie

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Looks like a great deal. The 3rd fastest G5 ever made!

3. izzyrhoads thread starter macrumors newbie

But is it dual core?

4. Graveyard macrumors regular

The dual cpu machines usually have two "G5" emblems on the cpu cover. Dual core machines have the single "G5" emblem. You can't mistake them with the older, sigle cpu and (which are also single core) because of the size of the heatsink and single cooler in front of the heatsink.

5. izzyrhoads thread starter macrumors newbie

6. izzyrhoads thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, can i use a sound card from my g4 on the g5?

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Ensure that it has CPU fan assembly. On the pic it doesn't.

IDK G5 prices level in your country, but here you can buy this exact model for half of that price. So from my POV 220€ it's a rip-off.

8. izzyrhoads thread starter macrumors newbie

there aren't many g5 for sale and for this price in portugal, in fact i can't find g5's in a store anymore

9. Graveyard macrumors regular

What do you mean by that? If it is a separate card mounted in one of the pci slots on the g4, no problem. I hope you didn't refer to the g4's sound card which is located on the mobo. Also, look at what the other colleagues here said. Make sure that you get the complete computer. Otherwise, it might be a pain in the *ehem* to get parts for it after you paid that price.

10. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Nope. One from link is PCI express. No G4 PCI card will work with it.

11. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

Where's the CPU fans and air deflector? Make sure it has them before buying.

12. Graveyard macrumors regular

Oops. Sorry. You're right.

13. Colpeas macrumors 6502

Colpeas

Exactly, just three days ago I bought a very nice-looking G5 Quad for 3850CZK (equivalent of ~ €150) in an auction on aukro.cz. I'm kepping it for sure... Duals go usually for about €100 or less, rarely slightly above 100...

Yeah, true. I heard several reports on how impossible it is to buy a cheap G5 in Portugal. But man, it's crazy how different the situation is around here. Seriously, if someone offered me €220 for my Dual 2.0 PCIE tower with ATI X1900 GPU I swear I wouldn't think twice about selling it. Even if it included free shipping to Portugal, which is about €80 by the way... For some reason, here in Czech republic, G5s are generally regarded as useless junk. The same goes for most PowerBooks (except for maybe DLSD-HR model) and even some early Intel Macs (including 1st gen. Mac Pro and basically all pre-unibody MBPs!!) What a mad market...

Every cloud has a silver lining, though. Thanks to the current situation (lack of demand), our little refurbishing company was able to strike a deal for 22 G5s (various models, all duals though) for €20 a piece (all including HDDs and RAM). And there will be more coming in the future, which is good! Maybe even some Powerbooks. So, the only question is: who to sell these Macs to... :D

If you really want a G5 I suggest you searched German or French eBay. Time to time you can find a decent-looking G5 for a bargain. However, you must find a seller who would be willing to ship internationally, which could be a slight problem.

14. izzyrhoads thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Colpeas macrumors 6502

Colpeas

Yes, Garageband '09 is supported on PowerPC based Macs.

16. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

17. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

Here (Spain) Quads go for about 350 to 600€ :eek:
    And the only G5 I've seen for less than 200€ was a 200€ Dual Processor 2Ghz which was broken in both logic board and PSU. :rolleyes:

18. jpcoelho macrumors member

jpcoelho

skinniezinho bought a Quad for 230€ last month, in Portugal... if you take your time and search hard enough, good deals do appear... I believe the seller also had a dual for 175€, ask him for the contact and you might get lucky!

19. honam1021 macrumors regular

I got my 2.0 DP (PCI-X) for only $45, but the case is in very bad condition, the intake fans are dead and the air deflector is missing. I managed to get it to work (sort of), I am still waiting for the replacement fans and the deflector to arrive.

Will USB 3.0 cards work with PCI-E G5s?

----------

In china it even more crazy, $2000 for a 2.7 DP with a cinema display

20. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Very similiar to here.

21. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

There's no USB 3.0 driver for 10.5. Some are universal binary but they require 10.6

22. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Are you in China?

23. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I have to know whether or not the Mac mini rule needs to be invoked on this. What is the price of a used Mac mini (Early 2009) over there, the oldest mini that can run 10.8?

To me, if the PPC Mac is priced at less than the price of that Mac mini, then it's a good buy. If it's prices at more than that Mac mini's price, then it either has to be loaded with software or it isn't a good buy.

In the US, that mini model is priced at Mac of All Trades at $399 US.

24. jpcoelho macrumors member

jpcoelho

I sold an Early 2009 Mac Mini this month for 340€... it was the 2.0 GHz model, but I had upgraded the RAM to 8Gb and the HDD to 320Gb, and was sold with an original Snow Leopard disc... in my opinion, superior to every G5 but the Quad...

25. Member2010 macrumors regular

price

The price is a little steep - is that a gold plated G5? I don't think any PowerPC computer is worth a grand, let alone that price. :confused:

::