I want to Cry, Upgrading Erased EVERYTHING!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Booju16, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Booju16 macrumors member

all my conctacts? GONE!
    all my notes? GONE!

It's like I lost my house to a flash flood, real talk.

I had sooooo many important notes that I had for a good year, my favorite quotes, certain affirmations to keep my spirits high, summaries of books i've read, MY WIRELESS ROUTER PASSWORD UGH!, extra tidbits of information of my liking, the whole 9 GONE!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY APPLE WHY!!

I wish it was like the sidekick when all I had to do was log in and all my data would come back!

all my pictures & videos? GONE!!!!!!!

I went to restore and it restored all the way back to April.....Between May and Now I've done soo much revamping all to go to waste..

This indeed changes everything. Again, but is change good?

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Backup more often, you could restore form back up and get it all back, no?

3. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (OS4.0b3): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Time Machine. Problem solved.

Backblaze. Problem solved.

Manual backup. Problem solved.

You must have backups of some kind, somewhere?

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Blame anyone but yourself here is just foolishness. You should ALWAYS sync your old phone before ever upgrading or ANYTHING. Hopefully a lesson learned.

6. insanoshano08 macrumors member

If you have windows 7 or a mac you can locate the folder where your iphone backups are stored on your disk drive and right click and there should be an option to restore the folder to a previous state. I have done this before and know exactly how you feel.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is hard to believe that anyone would do something SO major as an OS upgrade and not back up before!:confused:

Amazing!:eek:

8. Hawklight macrumors member

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That seems to be the issue in a few cases around here. Unfortunately.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Not too sure about time machine. I have had three and they all died with in months.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (OS4.0b3): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Oh, I forgot MobileMe: problem solved.

And Google Sync, problem solved.

I don't understand how someone can lose everything, with the number of backup and sync option available these days.

12. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Where is your old phone? If you still have your old phone you can sync it and do a backup and then restore that to your new phone.

13. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Are we talking about upgrading to the iphone 4 here, or are we talking about upgrading a 3GS to 4.0. What exactly did you upgrade?

14. noodlelegs macrumors member

I am about to upgrade to my new iPhone 4 from the 3gs. I am currently backing up the 3gs. How do I get all of my old stuff onto the new iPhone 4?

15. Galacticus macrumors member

Plug your device back into itunes.

$10 says it starts restoring your information because you never finished your iOS4 upgrade.

16. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

I was going to say...doesn't iTunes do a backup of your phone everytime you sync? I can't imaging that the phone hasn't been sync'd since April.

17. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I feel for ya Booju16, It's happened to me also. I was not smart, and did not sync/backup for almost a year. Lost important notes, pics, everything. Oddly enough, my iPhone 3G froze while downloading a Facebook app update. It would not do anything except show me the Apple screen, after I had to force the iPhone to shut off. I had to add all the apps I lost (that was free, but a painfully long process), and lost $200 worth of music I bought. I have since learned my lesson, and sync/backup at least once a month. Sorry for all of you lost stuff, I know how ya feel.

For all of those attacking Booju16, that's not cool. It's a crappy thing to happen to anyone, losing important things.

18. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Once you have finished activating your new iphone 4. A message will appear telling you to disconnect your sync cable and then reattach the cable. Once you have done that you will see a screen asking you if you want to restore from your John's Iphone whatever. Just click yes or no.

19. prospereagle92 macrumors regular

This is why you don't click the little x when it says your phone is being backed up...

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This is why you should of synced it one last time before you started in on the new iPhone.

The really cool thing is, you should still have it all on your old iPhone, so sync it one last time then restore from that backup to your iPhone 4.

TA DA!

:cool:

21. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Yes.

22. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

This.

23. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

This is bizarre. Why would anyone not backup their iPhone, considering how easy it is?

I've lost nothing, not even when my (then 4 yr old) daughter clicked Restore in iTunes when my iPhone was attached.

24. Booju16 thread starter macrumors member

Uprgrading 3GS to 4.0

iPhone 4 comes tomorrow...

25. Booju16 thread starter macrumors member

After 3GS upgraded to the 4.0 Software it did a backup automatically of the empty new 4.0 software so I couldn't restore back to nothing except for the April