I want to do my taxes on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djearlybird, Feb 14, 2008.

1. djearlybird macrumors regular

What are you guys using to do your taxes on your Macs. Seems like quite a few options out there, wanted to know what you guys recommend. Thanks! :apple:

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've always just used TurboTax. Works fine. But I've heard good things about TaxCut too -- I'm just not going to switch at this point because I've used TurboTax for so long.

3. dborja macrumors 6502a

+1
    I tried Taxcut one tax year and it's fine but I've been using TurboTax since it first came out...

4. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I used Turbotax last year and it worked fine. It was pretty much identical to the Windows version as best I could tell.

5. XianPalin macrumors 6502

Used Turbotax Deluxe on my Mac, no problems whatsoever.

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I use Turbo Tax. Works very well, but I wish it was less expensive.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Also, remember that if you qualify, you can do your taxes for free using online forms that are provided by all the Tax Software companies. Check out irs.gov for a listing. I did it last year, and it was simple, and I had to file in two states as well. All free.

TEG

9. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

+6

10. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Turbotax is really good, especially if you are self-employed.

11. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I used TurboTax the one year that Tax Cut wasn't available for Mac. I was willing to use Windows to use Tax Cut the next year. Fortunately, Tax Cut came out with a Mac version again.

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I've used TurboTax since it was called "MacinTax". It works great. Info copies over from year to year, and electronic filing is easy. State and Local forms work out great for me also.

I always hate paying $45 each year, but It was on sale for $40 a couple of times in February...

13. calvin2006 macrumors regular

Complete Tax

I used CompleteTax.com. It was great, and it was free for me. I think it's only like $19 if you end up having to pay (because you're rich and stuff).

14. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

One of the reasons I installed Fusion and Windows XP on my iMac was so that I could use TurboTax/Windows version and Quicken/Windows. I have no experience with TurboTax/Mac, but if it is as far behind TurboTax/Windows as Quicken/Mac is behind Quicken/Windows then the risk is not worth it.

Quicken/Mac is woefully inferior to Quicken/Windows . . . AND IT COSTS MORE. :mad:

At least in the Quicken area it is clear that Intuit has short-changed the Macintosh.

Has anyone actually done a feature-by-feature comparison of the Windows versus the Mac version of TurboTax? ? ? Also, I wonder if the Mac version is as reliable and accurate and complete as the Windows version.

15. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I didn't do a feature by feature comparison but I used Turbotax for Windows for my 2005 taxes and TT for Mac in 2006. I couldn't tell a difference.

16. dborja macrumors 6502a

The only difference I've seen is that some financial institutions are not set up in the Mac version for direct downloading of 1098 data but are in the Win version...

17. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

18. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

$45 is nothing compared to $200 you would spend having someone do your taxes. Plus, you can write off the cost of your tax prep fees which includes the $45 you spent on TurboTax.

19. kaenai macrumors newbie

I also use TurboTax, but I use the online version. That way I don't have to replace any software. :)

20. TheZA macrumors regular

For the past two years I've used TurboTax Online. It is only $14. Your information is saved from last year, and that way you don't have to load the program and download all the updates. And it makes it easy when you buy a new computer.

21. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I've used TurboTax for the last couple of years on my G5. No problems. If you have a youngster in college and he/she is over 17 or 18 and you want to claim as a deduction be careful. If you just give the names and their birth dates TuboTax will exlude based upon age. You have to enter them and ask if they apply (note that they are full time college student)....at least you did last year. I haven't started my taxes this year. I usually wait/procrastinate and just download all the updates b4 starting:rolleyes:

I miss that TurboTax eliminated their rebate system and supposedly lowered their price. I ALWAYS applied for the rebate. Nice to get $20 or so in the mail;)

22. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

kaenai & TheZA . . . . .

The online approach seems attractive.
    1. The price is better.
    2. No issue of whether the Mac or Windows version is better.
    3. No need to store old data.

HOWEVER, I would have some concern about having my complete financial information (including SS numbers) reside in a remote Intuit computer that might get hacked from the outside or pilfered from the inside by some employee of Intuit. :eek:

Does Intuit provide convincing evidence that the information is safeguarded?

23. carlgo macrumors 68000

Also have used TurboTax for years now. Did everything including filing with fed and Ca state, and got direct deposit into my bank acct. Not bad, but now it only works with 10.4 Tiger or greater. My iBook G4 won't work unless I get a Tiger 10.4 upgrade.

On their web site, the prez says he is a Mac user himself, but had to make this decision to only support modern systems. Of course he is right. I would do the same.

The new models should be out soon and I'll make a buying decision then. Hopefully, new Macbooks as well as MBPs. Or maybe even an Air. It depends, not sure yet.

Hope this can all happen before 4/15. I think so.

24. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

What is their solution for archiving your returns year after year? I still would rather be in control of my data, especially sensitive personal data such as a tax return.