I want to go back to 2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdesigns, Nov 26, 2008.

1. cdesigns macrumors 6502

After upgrading to 2.2

1) I lost my jailbreak 2.1
    2) I lost all the videos recorded with jailbreak 2.1 video recording program :(
    3) Push e-mail stopped working
    4) Downloaded pictures on Safari or e-mail, gets compressed so bad is not even funny
    5) Battery meter doesn't show actual battery level
    6) 3G reception is worse, I'm more in edge than 3G now :(

2. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

yep.. 2.2 sucks and apple needs to do something about it ASAP.

3. cdesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

ASAP is not fast enought, I love it my iphone until now.

specially the pictures thing, damn right now every pic I download to the phone is useless, so what's the point in having that feature :(

If they do the picture thing to save bandwidth that will suck, they will do the same soon for youtube videos.

4. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I'm pretty sure the photo thing is a bug..

its only related to photos with certain resolutions.. basically any photo where the resolution is 800x something.. or visa versa..

at least thats whats happening on my phone.. I downloaded a 1280x1024 sized photo today on mobile safari and it was crystal clear.

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

For God's sake, is all we can do is whine around here? (do you honestly think Apple is going to support your jailbreak?)

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Go back to 2.1 and I guarantee your life will be complete. :)

7. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Yeah man, i am JB fan still i am not complaining about 2.2 it really is a (small) improvement. stilll I think apple should put some things in his priority list. Life bug fixing and copy paste and other things many of us want.

8. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

If you're a pro why are you using a phone to show your photos....?
    Unless it's just for personal use with family and friends? :confused:

9. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

well personal use is great yeah..

but I'm a freelancer who works for a few automotive magazines and I often pick up a few clients for photoshoots at car shows and events.. its nice to be able to showcase your skills from your pocket..

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

quit complaining. and whining. restore the phone and it should be working normally. ^ who uses an iPhone to show off their DLSR pictures? Assuming you use a DLSR camera...

To OP: Did you really expect Apple to endorse jailbreaking? You can even pirate apps in the app store now. Like Apple will endorse that.

11. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

apparently you haven't been paying attention, restoring the phone does nothing for the photo issue, its a bug that is the result of the 2.2 upgrade..

and as for showing off DSLR pictures on a phone... would you prefer I carry a laptop in my pocket at events while also holding on to all of my camera gear?

its not like i'm using it as a way to "display" my photos.. more of just a quick reference guide..

12. 10dulkar macrumors member

i have a non-jail broken phone and i am seeing a huge degradation in my 3g reception post 2.2.

i sit in a cube at work, and in the very same location where i have used 3g for the past 2 months, now it barely works...

i am quite unhappy about this, as majority of my iphone use is in office. can someone provide suggestions? can i re-download? what can i do?

thanks a ton!

13. nospleen macrumors 68020

nospleen

Hope this helps...

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/11/downgrade-22-21.html

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You should just get a storm, I'm sure that will bring joy.

15. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

Seems there's always going to be people complaining after a new update. my 3G reception is better than before and i'm not seeing any picture quality degradation after saving from Safari. Maybe you guys did it wrong?

16. nospleen macrumors 68020

nospleen

How would the OP do it wrong? You hit update, I'm sure he/she is quite capable. :p

17. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I'm not personally having any issues with reception or anything like that.. but the photo bug is driving me nuts..

I'm willing to bet your phone is doing the same thing and you have yet to discover it..

do me a favor..

visit this photo link on your phone, and save it to your photo album.. then tell me what happens..

http://randy.mainevwscene.com/images/mycar5.jpg

here's two screenshots from my phone.. same photo.. downloaded on 2.1.. and then after the 2.2 update

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Well I think I know what's going on here... I just downloaded the picture you linked and it was indeed blurry. But, when I emailed that picture to myself, instead of it sending me the whole picture, the phone emailed me the 160x160 thumbnail... which is probably what it's erroneously displaying on the iPhone screen. That would explain why its blurry... Look like 2.2.1 isn't far off.

19. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

its not a glitch that can be fixed with a restore, its a bug for the 2.2 firmware and its related to photos that have a certain resolution.. 800 pixels seems to be the problem that causes it.. anything larger or smaller is fine..

I have tried downloading this same photo and several others (with an 800 pixel side) on 4 other iphones with the 2.2 update and they are all doing the same thing..

try downloading that link I posted on your phone and see what happens..

also.. the photos ARE being changed... when you e-mail the blurry photo to somebody and view it on a computer... its thumbnail sized... which explains why it looks blurry when you view the full res file on your phone.

obviously its not changing the original file thats hosted on the internet..

20. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

didn't even put a face with the name until i saw the pics. what's happenin randy?
    i used to be on vortex with a black mk2 1.8t. we met at h20 about 3 years ago.

21. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Why'd you upgrade if you don't like it?

22. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I didn't know 2.2 was going to have issues... if I had known that, I probably wouldn't have..

suppose next time I'll wait and see what happens with other people..

but forgive me for assuming that an upgrade means it makes things BETTER.

23. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

oh whatup man.. I remember your screename.. :D

24. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I edited my post. Read the new one please. I retracted my statement because I looked into it.

Oh and FYI the phone still isn't necessarily changing the original file. The iPhone automatically makes thumbnails of all the pictures so that they display faster in thumbnail view (saves battery not having to load each full picture). I think the phone is just not resolving the thumbnail to the full photo. The original photo is probably still intact on the phone, so a bug fix will fix the problem and all the pictures you saved will be fixed.

25. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I really hope they do fix this bug, but from the sounds of it, its been a bug on the ipod touch now for a while and apple has decided to ignore it..

only time will tell.

If they overlook this bug fix on the next release though, I'm dropping back to 2.1 firmware :)