I want to go naked.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mloffa, Jul 1, 2010.

?

What protection, if any, do you use for your iPhone 4?

1. Naked/None

123 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. Case (Post which)

58 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. Shield (Post which)

27 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Other (Post other option)

5 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Don't have an iPhone 4 (Post why)

10 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

My iPhone, that is.

Ready for a cool story, brotha?

I took my iPhone out for it's daily cleaning.
    Yes, I clean my iPhone every night. Habits. :eek:

I just realized how skinny, slim, sleek, and sexy the phone really is.

I then stuck it back into my Griffen Reveal and now it's fat and plasticky again.
    Don't get me wrong, I love this case.
    But I love the naked look much more.

Obviously, though, I won't be going naked as I live in constant fear of dropping my iPhone (kidding about the constant fear part) so I will deal with the case.

What about you guys?
    Naked or cased?

2. Wailord macrumors 6502

I love the feel of the bumper. The phone still looks awesome, only without the somewhat sharp edges. It's awesome.

3. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

So you're going bumper on sides + naked front and back?
    Or do you have any protectors?

I'm going to consider a bumper once the other colors become available for in-store purchase.

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I won't get a case. Maybe a bumper at most, otherwise fully naked. I'll start naked (don't we all :rolleyes:) and if I get a scratch, I'll probably get this (hopefully the scratch will be on the back, not on the Apple logo, so I never have to see it). I don't think that I'll get anything worse than a hairline, even if I go naked forever. My iPhone 3G was perfect (and I think the guy I sold it to probably scratched it within an hour) and my iPod touch is perfect, but this is because of invisible shield-style protection, which I really don't want to get for this iPhone.

EDIT: I voted naked, but I probably should have voted 'I don't have an iPhone 4' because Apple can't ship 'em out fast enough :D

5. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

6. Wailord macrumors 6502

Yeah, naked front and back. I'm going to get a BestSkinsEver or something for the back (whatever the cheapest skin without the orange peel is) and the front shall remain clear. I love InvisibleShields (awesomest things evar, love the texture) but I'm not messing with my Retina Display.

7. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Good points there.

For me, though, it's not so much scratches as it is cracks/shattering.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I've gone naked since the original iPhone. Wearing it naked in my pants pocket makes it pretty much self-cleaning. No ugly bumper either.

You're going to replace it again in a year so why not go naked?

9. keyofnight macrumors regular

keyofnight

I'll be getting a free bumper from Apple, as soon as they send me an e-mail or call me with details. :cool:

10. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Just my 2 cents, I had the IS for 2 days and I loved it.
    I had the full budy (front + back + sides) on my iPhone 4 and it felt great.
    But then after hearing about all the shattering, I got a harder case which required me to remove the IS to fit correctly.

In the future, I might go IS + bumper.

The IS on the front really doesn't effect the display at all.
    I saw no significant difference.

11. Wailord macrumors 6502

Hmm. Maybe I'll throw that on tonight. My dad bought one from Best Buy and wants to return it (hasn't opened it, just decided to go with a naked screen), maybe I'll just throw it on.

12. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Completely up to you (don't blame me if you can see a vast difference; I couldn't.) But I say go for it.

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I want to go naked this time, too, but I don't want to carry my iPhone 4 around without any protection. My solution? A Vaja leather ivolution case. There's a flap on the case that you can lift off to use your phone for a minute, then take your iPhone out of the case for longer usage. Look up a video of the Vaja ivolution for the iPhone 3G/3GS if you're not familiar with it. It's expensive, but worth every dollar.

14. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

It's weird, but I'm not worried about shattering it. If I break the back, cool, I can probably get a sick red one and replace it easily. If I break the front, I'm out like $60-80, which would be about double the price of getting a case in the first place (which is honestly like insurance, you pay a flat rate of, say, $100, plus $50 if you make a claim, but you can just get a new [i think refurb, but they're as good or better than new] one for $199. So in the end, you could be out $100 if you never make a claim, out $150, if you make a claim and get a new one [and all the hassle that goes along with it], or simply go to an Apple store, and pay $199 for one, no insurance or anything involved), and I never have to live with a case ruining the look/feel.

15. mloffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I just noticed in your sig that you don't have the iPhone 4 yet.
    Made me :) because your going to love the look/feel of this thing.
    It's built impeccably and feels just amazing.
    As for the other issues go, I haven't been experiencing many and I hope you get as lucky as I did.

Anyways.

Still not sure what I'm going to do.
    I might actually try case-less for a day and see how it goes.
    I had my 3GS case-less for a year and it survived (although it did get scratched and had those hairline cracks.)

16. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I know!! I'm so excited :D! I've probably used iP4s for about 30 minutes total, but that was awkwardly standing at Apple stores. I can't wait to get mine...and I'm coming from a horribly slow 3G with no data service (and a badly messed up orange-peeley protector), so this will be a HUGE step up. I'm even depriving myself of using my iPod now, just so that the iP4 seems even grander when I get it (my 1G iPt flies in comparison to my 3G...maybe I'll jailbreak it just to slow it down and use it lol).

17. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Naked.

If it's good enough for Apple and their marketing materials and Steve Jobs too (ever seen him holding an iPhone in a case?) then that's good enough for me. Of course, running it naked precludes its use as an actual phone in my situation but but but... :p

18. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Steve and other Apple employees can replace theirs for free or at little cost, though. I'm sure Apple encourages employees to use their products without a case to showcase the design, but it isn't a big deal once it gets badly damaged because it can be cheaply replaced. I'm sure Steve Jobs went through a lot more than four post-production iPhones since 2007.

19. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

But to answer your question, yeah I go naked with a leather sleeve. I love holding and appreciating the design in my hands as I use it.

20. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Which would be quite funny in many respects:

Apple and Steve Jobs always demonstrate the iPhones with cases off or simply non-existant, including the iPhone 4, which is what appears to be the primary cause of the problems that many people (myself included) that own iPhone 4's are complaining about: touching the metal band that makes up the antenna structure.

Remarkably, if you flip that around and put an iPhone 4 inside a case, that instantly precludes the skin-on-metal contact which appears to be giving so many of us grief and yet, if you had an iPhone 4 in such a case, and you were doing signal strength and RF radiation testing during the prototyping phase, it stands to reason that because of the lack of skin-on-metal contact (because of the case) you'd get unreliable and highly inaccurate results from said testing.

Oh, yeah, the iPhone 4 prototype that was "lost" in the bar in SoCal... that was "lost" by one of the guys doing RF and field trials during the prototyping phase, iirc, and it was inside a fake iPhone 3GS housing which - magically - prevented skin-on-metal contact.

What an interesting situation this has all caused... ;)

As for how many phones Jobs has gone through since the iPhone program began, I can't say. But I will bet a fair percentage of my retirement that when the WWDC keynote was finished, that iPhone 4 he was using on stage for the demos - all 3 of 'em - ended up in pieces on a floor after he threw 'em against the closest solid wall he could find backstage. :D :D

21. macduke Suspended

macduke

Oh man, every time I take my iPhone out of the bumper, I get nervous that it will break. It's like a slippery yet beautiful glass brick. I do, however, prefer the feel of the bumper than it naked. The bumper is nice and grippy, but also allows it to slide in and out of my pocket without much trouble. It also shows off the back, something my inCase sliders never did the past two versions.

I want some more bumper colors. Right now I have black. I hope some case manufacturer completely rips off Apple's design, adds 10 more colors and prices it at $15. I want a deeper blue, preferably Pantone 2945C. Otherwise I want white or green. Does anyone with a white one have problems with it getting dirty? The black one is definitely minimalistic, which is kinda nice, and doesn't scream "HEY EVERYBODY I HAVE A NEW IPHONE 4 ZOMG!!1!"

When I pick up my 3GS now, it feels like some chubby Fisher-Price piece of crap! Especially with the inCase Slider on!

22. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

23. wr1020 macrumors regular

I'd go naked if it wasn't for this damn reception issue. Only reason i have a case. I hate cases.

24. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

25. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Those look really cheap (look like all rubber, vs. hard plastic and rubber with metal buttons) and they don't even have real pictures.