I want to "MAX OUT" my Mac Pro without breaking the bank.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lPHONE, Feb 21, 2010.

1. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

I just acquired a Mac Pro 1,1 (which I believe is the very first one.)
    I've read some reports that it can handle 32GB- if this is true, I'd like to find an alternate vendor to Apple.

I did a lot of searching and this 32gb kit on eBay is the cheapest I could find. Yes, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than Apple, but it's still $900 any way you look at it. Can I trust this ram? Are there any better deals out there?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I personally wouldn't trust it. In my experience Macs have been picky about ram. I would check OWC, Newegg, crucial etc.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

With RAM, there is definitely a component of "you get what you pay for". With cheaper RAM, the money is often saved by skimping on quality control, so there's often a higher failure rate. RAM problems can be really frustrating to track down. In my experience, best to stay with the better-known mfgrs. I generally stick with Crucial, although I've not had any problems with the few times I've bought RAM from MacSales.

4. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I buy my ram from OWC exclusively. Its expensive when you buy all at once so suggest you buy 4GB modules at a time and start at 8GB unless you can afford more. As long as you plan on using it all, then go for it but if not, why spend the money. Not all programs will take advantage of it but as we transition to full 64 bit programs, then the 3.3gb limit will be gone. Your mac is a great machine but is crippled due to the 32 bit EFI. It will serve you well.

5. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

Hmm. I'm guessing the newer Mac Pro's do not have this problem... How do I get around this problem, upgrade the CPU or Logic Board or...?

6. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Upgrading the mobo is not cost effective. Apple could get off there ass and do an update but won't so your stuck with what you have. If you got a good deal on it, use it until the software your using doesn't support your needs. Its still a great machine. Not sure of your configuration but I upgraded my 2ghz 4 core to a 2.33ghz octo and definately a good speed bump. Sold it later for my 2008 octo. What are you using it for?

7. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

I'm using this machine soley to run Pro Tools 7.3. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm on 10.4.11 (Tiger) and have no plans to upgrade - maybe 16GB is good enough? :confused:

Also, I searched this forum and and found all positive reviews for 18004Memory... None for Mac Pro ram but nearly everything else.

8. Shademaster macrumors member

Hm yes I concur, RAM problems are some of the nastiest problems out there. Sometimes completely untrackable.

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I would always get less RAM from a reputable manufacturer over more RAM from somewhere cheaper like Ebay.

10. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

I agree 100% but like I was saying, 8004Memory is apparently a reputable vendor- according to the reports on this board.

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

Coast to Coast Memory (aka 18004memory.com) as a reseller appears to get pretty good ratings at resellerratings.com.

LINK

12. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Tiger is a nice OS. Still have it on my 24 inch iMac. You might want to concider Leopard. Rock solid but you have to make sure your app plays nice with it. When SL gets up to 6.4, I will start running it full time unless there are still allot of problems. As for your ram, try running with 4 or 8gb of ram. Use you app for the day. Then look at your page outs in activity monitor. Rule of thumb is if page outs are more than 10% of your page ins, then its time to upgrade your ram. BUT, 32 bit programs will generate this too due to max accessable ram at 3.3gb of ram. Usually not much though.

13. dbculp macrumors member

dbculp

MacPro 1,1 RAM

I put 16 GB RAM in my Mac Pro 1,1 purchased from an eBay vendor (Omni Technology, not the same one you linked in your post). I saved about $100 compared to OWC prices and ended up wishing I had bought from OWC. This vendor shipped 5 weeks after I paid and only after repeated emails and phone calls. When it finally arrived one stick was bad, I had to pay return shipping to get the 'lifetime guaranteed' stick replaced. I finally got everything working after about 7-8 weeks.
    If you increase the RAM you should get a fan control utility, I use SMC Fan Control. With the rear fan set at 995 rpm the RAM is running at 56 degrees C, at stock fan speeds the RAM was pushing 70 degrees C.

14. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

They have been around for quite some time. I've purchased memory from them for PC's without a hitch in the past. They use eBay as an alternative means to sell. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

George

15. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

What processors do you have in the Mac Pro?

Your money may be better spent upgrading to 3ghz processors and 16Gb of memory vs 32Gb

16. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Even though this is his single largest issue, it probably would be more cost effective to sell the current box and buy a 2008 model with more recent hardware. Or, wait a few weeks to see what the marketplace is like: my guess is it will be quite different :rolleyes:

17. Bosman macrumors member

Bosman

Hey man, I always have about 10 or more things going on and about that many website tags running in addition to itunes, Lightroom and Photoshop. I don't know if it ever went over 6G Ram use and i have 10G installed. on a early 2008 dual quad 2.8 model 3,1 model running Snow Leopard.

Save your money an get 2 - 4g stick from OWC.

18. Bosman macrumors member

Bosman

I have only bought my mac stuff from OWC. Their customer service and fast shipping is incredible! I haven't bought anything online that came to my door faster than OWC purchases, its ridiculous how fast they ship! I have bought all my drives, (5) of them, from them in addition to the 8g of Ram. I also bought my Nvidia GTX285 video card the day they were released thinking it would speed up my photoshop experience but not really. I think i need to buy some games if i am ever to use that power. I xbenched it at 265 frames.

19. lPHONE thread starter macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

I'm doing audio with Pro Tools and video with Final Cut... Pretty sure 4gb's won't cut it. I had 16GB on my G5 and I was taxing. I went ahead and bought the 16GB kit for now. If I need more, I'll get more.

Now I just need a faster CPU and a better graphics card. I have the nVidia GeForce 7300 GT 256MB GDDR. I want something faster with Tiger support dual DVI monitors. Will this card work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220560725024

I have the dual 2.0ghz. Will my logic board support a 3Ghz CPU?

20. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

My guess is that graphics card will not work. You can flash a 4870/ 4890 or buy a retail card from Apple (more expensive but plug and play).

Considering that you're running Tiger, was a quad G5 not faster then dual 2.0 Intel?

21. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

I bought my 32 GB DDR2 FB-DIMM 800 MHZ on eBay for GBP250 ;P

22. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

You can actually upgrade to 4 core cpu if you want. 2x Xeon 5365 3.0ghz 4 core is the max that the board can take. I upgraded from 2.66ghz to 3.0ghz 2 core xeon 5160 for $250, found 2x on eaby.

The 5365 is much harder to find used but can be had new for around $600-$800 each.

Do a google on the subject or search this forum, there are alot of articles and threads on the subject. Takes about an hour from start to finish, maybe less if you have the right hex head screw driver! lol

George

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Those won't work either. No drivers for them. He needs Leopard or Snow Leopard.

Also, he has four cores. So they're both quads.

24. Hmac macrumors 68020

My 1,1 3.0ghx 4-core came with the 1900XT. I later upgraded to the Apple 8800GT and was disappointed, but recently upgraded to the Apple 4870 and have been VERY pleased. Excellent performance on FCE, and COD4 (esp on XP/BootCamp) and the annoying green sparklies no longer occur on my second monitor. I did have to buy the $99 dual link adapter for my second 30" ACD, but it all works very well. Haven't come up with a good reason to upgrade to something with a 64 bit EFI yet, but I'm always looking for excuses if you guys have any I can use...

This machine has been rock-solid for me. Other than the fact that it will heat a small house all by itself, I don't have a single complaint

25. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Yes it will. Suggest you put 2 quad cores in it. Buy what you can afford since your already in there. I got a pair of 2.33 ghz for 400 bucks 2 years ago. Try to get at least the 2.66ghz if you can. Big difference going from quad to octo. Also install smcfancontrol as it will heat up more. Good luck and let us know how it goes.