I Want to See More of Your Work

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lanervoza, Nov 10, 2007.

1. lanervoza macrumors member

I just watched three recently posted short films on the forum and enjoyed them. Anyone have any more to share? I would also like to know what you used to shoot/edit with.

Party on,
    Alex

2. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

youtube.com/caffruso

I'm in high school and that's most of my work. We've been in a handful of festivals and have actually won awards from some of them. Some of that stuff is outdated and doesn't really represent what we're capable of anymore. But my suggestions include:

A Thousand Miles
    A Matter of Time
    Who I Am Hates Who I've Been
    and Over My Head

enjoy!

3. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

4. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

5. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Hey,

I posted the film, Distance, not too long ago. You may have seen it.
    Here are some more short films:

www.inblacklight.com

I am working on a music video very soon, so stay tuned for that.

I use a Canon GL2, Azden Wireless lapel mic, R0DE video mic, manfrotto fig rig & tripod system, homemade camera crane & dolly, Final Cut Studio, iMac(soon to be MacPro) and more

6. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

7. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

Posted this a while back. It was the final project for a film class a few semesters ago.
    http://bearspace.baylor.edu/Taylor_Rudd/public/Ruse.mp4

I should have some more stuff up in the coming months, seeing as I just got some brand new equipment (upgraded my GL2 to an XH-A1, bought a Letus Extreme 35mm adapter, etc.)

8. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Now that you have developed good knowledge of how to use an editing program, start focusing on story aka narrative structure. I recommend you read Story by Robert Mckee.
    I read your reply to a comment on the 5 minute short. It was about how long certain parts seemed. I have two things to say here:
    1. Take whatever critique with modesty. If you don't agree, don't argue. Reflect, maybe they're right.
    2. The comment had truth in it. Some parts felt longer than they should have been. Edit with the audience in mind. If they daze off because of the edit, they lose interest in the film, sometimes halfway through.

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes i liked this short film alot...

11. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Looks like you're into stop motion type films. I just saw this very cool stop motion music video the other day:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4CpmCbBquUI

This may give you some ideas what stop motion is capable of..As you'll notice, some of the stuff in the music video is live video, but the background(at least) is always stop motion.

Otherwise, good stuff, keep the films coming. Just a peice of advice, use a tripod more if you could to try to illiminate the gitter between images.

12. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah that was very good, i already ordered a tripod im just waiting for it to be delivered.. thx for the advice thoug will keep that in mind

13. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

14. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

15. slinky0390 macrumors regular

i made this about a year ago as a class project when we were reading Chaucer's, Canterbury Tales. it was filmed and edited in about 8 hours, me and my friends are slackers and we waited till the absolute last minute to do the project. it was edited in imovie with some stuff done in final cut pro.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ZpwwXtDVqg

16. ilanasaysrawr macrumors member

Hey there. Really liked your video of Who I Am Hates Who I've Been. Very well-edited. Here's my most recent film. It's a How To movie on being a ninja.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzWAU6MYFYo

17. Kankki macrumors regular

www.youtube.com/kankki1

I'm 13 (14, 9th December) and I make movies using Adobe Premiere 1,5 (My stoneage PC can't support SSE2) and Adobe After Effects. I wish to switch to Final Cut pro once I get my iMac.

Comments appreciated!

18. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

19. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

20. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

I think we need to keep this thread going.
    Use it as a showcase of everyone's work!

Everyone post all of your videos!

21. diccen macrumors newbie

Ok lads here's an assignment in progress due thursday. I didn't have any headphones yet so please only comments visual related. I'll post an update tomorrow when i finished editing my audio.

Comments are appreciated, the more the better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT14_hxjeiQ

22. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Good first cut, a couple of things I have found.
    - the first shot in the film is a little long, maybe cut off about 3 seconds

- the sequence where he walks from the one end to the other end of the bus seems to have no significance to the plot, try to cut at about 0:11 to around 0:28, to make it look like he was always standing at that part of the bus.

- the chase scene is pretty cool, although, try some closer cuts to accentuate the scene of panic and speed, try to remove the idea in your head that all shots have to end with the characters exiting the frame

- the ending shot is pretty good, but very long, do a slow fade out starting around 2:22 and maybe end the fade at about 2:28, then roll to credits

Also, I know you are still working on the music but, try to stay away from very known music (aka batman) it takes the scene of fantasy that the film did have. Either cut out that part of the song, or chose another one with the same feel of intensity.

Overall I love the idea, just try to make the chase scene more "intense", and tighten up on the pointless shots.

Good stuff!

23. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'd roll the credits over the ending shot, starting around 2:27 or so after the guy takes his wallet back and exits the frame.

24. AstrayCliche macrumors member

Whoah. Can you tone down that vignette a bit? I found it terribly distracting. Otherwise, I think it looks pretty good. I love the last shot. There are some slight directional issues during the chase, but I dont think they're all too critical.

Keep up the good work!