I want to switch from Firefox to Safari... but...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cattywampus_, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502a

There are certain things that to my knowledge Safari cannot do while Firefox can. I love Safari's speed - superb for loading sites quickly and loading up quickly - plus it intergrates nicely with the OS. However, there are 2-3 plugins in Firefox and a couple of features Firefox has that Safari does not - hence I have never used Safari properly before.

If someone knows solutions or work arounds then that would be smashing as I would be keen to switch the slicker Safari.

1. Downloads
    Firefox has the option to ask me where to save each file when I click a download link. Safari just simply downloads it to a specified directory. Its all good and well that but sometimes you don't realise that what you are clicking is a file rather than a URL. Is there anyway to make Safari ask me what I want to do for each file download?

2. Bookmarks
    Firefox has Foxmarks - a free service that stores my bookmarks so I can keep them in sync across all my computers. I know .Mac does bookmark syncing, but I refuse to pay for .Mac as it doesn't do what I want. Is there anything out there that can sync my bookmarks like Foxmarks does - and that is a free online service like Foxmarks?

3. Intergration with Speed Download
    Using Flashgot plugin for Firefox, I can easily send download links to Speed Download for it to manage large download files. Is this possible in Safari?

I think they are all the issues I can think of. Look forward to reading some replies :)

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I thought Safari had this option too? not sure, as its not a big deal for me..

I use .mac :D
    But you could search google/macupdate/versiontracker etc.. to find out maybe?
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, Speed Download works great with Safari.. i use it all the time :)

3. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Point 2 was the deal-breaker with me for a while, as I liked the Google Toolbar for keeping the same bookmarks on all machines. There's absolutely no provision for toolbars on Safari (having seen the stupid spyware search bars people put onto IE on their PC boxes I can see why they chose to do this).

But I eventually decided I liked Safari enough to copy my most common bookmarks (these forums etc) into a menu and use a personalised Google home page for the rest.

4. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I've been wanting to switch to Safari for awhile too, but Safari doesn't have AdBlock or StumbleUpon and the way it uses tabs is horrible. Also, I can't resize the window past the dock, which is very annoying and useless. Firefox 3 is going to be faster and better integrated with OS X so I'm just waiting for it.

5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

As crazy as this may sound, I favor Firefox over Safari simply because I can hit / to do a Quick Find. It's one of the few things that I hold on to from my old Unix days :p

6. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Try a find again with Safari 3 / Leopard, and be amazed at how it neatly darkens the page and in true Apple style "bounces" some highlights over the word you're looking for. And alters as you type. It's pretty neat.

7. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

#2 is the deal breaker for me. I love how safari integrates with OS X, but I don't use .mac and I use a PC at work. With google browser sync, all of my bookmarks stay in sync no matter which computer I'm on.
    Google needs to make browser sync for Safari :)

8. mirffy macrumors member

I too prefer using Firefox over Safari, simply for the fact, that I use Firefox on Windows PCs at Uni or work for example. And when I get to my Macbook I like to access the same bookmarks via Foxmarks.
    Now if there were a way to sync foxmarks bookmarks with Safari, I'd switch instantly ;)

9. cgc macrumors 6502a

Safari does have AdBlock, it's called SafariBlock and it uses the same databases.

10. kolax macrumors G3

Why do you want to resize the window past the Dock?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sure! Just right-click a link and select "Download Linked File As..."

Not sure about this one. I know Google has a bookmark sync service. If you search the forums or Google, you may find one.

I use Safari and everything downloads fast. I'm not familiar with Speed Download, so I don't know how it would help.

Attached Files:

12. cgc macrumors 6502a

13. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

What's the benefit of Speed Download compared to the download manager in Safari? Does it speed it up? Thanks

14. mirffy macrumors member

How come I feel like I'm alone (apart from "That-Is-Bull") on the issue of Safari's tab handling? Also there seems to be no plug-in available to change the way of tab handling. If Safari ever finds a way to actually make the tabbar scrollable (hardly a complicated programming feat) rather than having a drop-down context menu with the open tabs, THEN I'll actually consider switching. I'm even willing to sacrifice foxmarks, with apps like "Bookit" out there making syncing bookmarks across apps easier.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What exactly about Safari tabs do you not like? Also, SafariBlock works fine for me for ad-blocking.

16. cgc macrumors 6502a

Speed Download is a central downloading solution for me. I may get downloads started in Firefox (for college) and in Safari (because I prefer Safari) and then I can quit my web browsers and SD keeps downloading. I really like the fact I can throttle SD. Don't be scared to to to their site and look for yourself...http://www.yazsoft.com/

17. mirffy macrumors member

First off let me point out, that I'm a self-confessed tab fanatic. At my current setting (1440x900) I usually have Safari open wide as far as possible. I know I could use the Zoom button, but it doesn't work to my liking (I'm not calling for it to be changed though, mind you ;) also I'm not trying to get a discussion started on the topic of the zoom button). It expands Safari to the minimal width, not requiring a horizontal scroll bar, yet with many web pages, if you open the browser up even further (width of the window) you have to scroll less vertically, because if decently coded of a website is quite variable beyond it's minimum width.

Now the thing is, if I have more than an odd 18-20 tabs open (I'd like to think I'm not the only one doing this) I will not be able to scroll the tab bar (like in Firefox) but an icon pop up (the two arrows on the very right of the tab bar) which, when clicking it will open up a context menu, listing the remaining open tabs.
    Now if this List of open tabs is too long, this list becomes scrollable and one looses any overview one thought one had. Dropping this context menu, and making the tab bar scrollable is in my eyes the best solution (if one is concerned with/about usability).
    But maybe I'm wrong, and there actually is a Safari plugin out there, that gives me precisely this functionality. Please do let me know then :)

On the note of Speed Download:
    I love it, and I really like using it too, especially to throttle the download. I'm just somewhat surprised, that my hands are tied, and I can only set the download speed to predefined values and not just set it to some arbitrary value of 242kb/s, as was possible with 4.x - or am I missing some hidden switch somewhere?

18. Ozz.Man macrumors member

I used Firefox for a very long time. But one day I realized how much slower and laggy it was compared to Safari. I was amazed at teh browsing speed difference, and if theres one thing I can't stand it's a slow anything on a computer in these days and ages.

However one thing I severly miss, is the ability to click down on the mouse wheel and scroll the page up and down by sliding the mouse on the desk.

19. 28monkeys macrumors 6502

28monkeys

i need to stick onto firefox 3, i just cant lose the instant chinese - english translator.

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try firefox 3, the difference between fx 3 and fx 2 can only be tell when you try it for yourself.

21. dbw77 macrumors newbie

Safari Dealbreaker for me - no NoScript

The big thing for me on Safari is the lack of plugins that allow you to control the security of the browsing.

The plugin on Firefox is noscript, which allows me to block all scripts but temporarily enable them if I need to.

Also, AdBlockPlus - but I understand there is something like it in Safari.

So if there were a NoScript for Safari I would likely switch, but without it I feel "naked" i.e. it just runs all of those scripts without allowing me to control it.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree that the zoom button doesn't do what I'd like. Actually, knowing that different people have different expectations of the zoom button, they should make it user configurable in System Preferences!

Trust me, you're definitely not alone here!

Yes, now I understand what you mean. I haven't seen any plugin for that functionality in Safari. My workaround, to quickly move through the open tabs is that I've programmed my Logitech VX Nano so that the Thumb Back and Forward buttons will move to the previous/next tab. I can move through the tabs very quickly, including the ones that aren't visible on the tab bar, but moving to those tabs doesn't scroll them off the "drop-down" and up to the tab bar. Also, if you try rearranging the tabs, I haven't found a way to move one from the "drop-down" at the end to the tab bar.

Why can't you just roll the wheel to move up and down the page? That's easier than moving the mouse.

SafariBlock is very effective at blocking scripts, like Firefox's AdBlockPlus.

23. mirffy macrumors member

Indeed, I agree. Yet sometimes I get the feeling, that no matter how often feedback is sent to apple, it is conveniently ignored.

I've noticed this too, and it's also one of my gripes. I like your suggestion about mapping mouse buttons to help there! I'll give it a try, but I fear that nothing beats the scrollable tab-bar offered in Firefox :( If they have some inexplicable reason to stick with the "drop-down" menu the least thing they could do, is make it possible that tabs are rearrangeable from there to the normal tab bar too (and vice versa, as well as rearranging the order of pages in the drop-down menu).

Don't get me wrong, I really like Safari, but one of the things that always gets me is the 'tagline' for I think SafariStand, PithHelmet or Saft (or maybe I just read it somewhere else in a user comment) "How many plugins does it take to get this functionality in Firefox?" I cannot stop wondering the opposite "How many plugins does it take to get standard functions from Firefox in Safari?".

Here's to hoping they'll correct it some point down the road, hopefully in 4.0 at the latest!

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Command-{
    or
    Command-}

scrolls through your open tabs in Safari. Really convenient.

25. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Wrong. :D

http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net/

Works a treat. (I'm using it right now)