I want to throttle my uncle's bandwidth and restrict and block some unallowed sites

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gusbemac, Sep 18, 2012.

  1. gusbemac macrumors member

    Aug 6, 2012
    Hello everybody!

    Good evening!

    I'm internet bandwidth's owner because I pay the bandwidth with my money and not my uncle.

    Before I lived in my old bedroom and had faster internet, I had 10MB, but when my uncle has separated from my aunt and came to live with us and live in another bedroom, but he wanted to live in my bedroom. We changed our bedrooms. In my bedroom, my internet became slower since he changed to my old bedroom. His internet became faster. I use the wifi. The telephone is in his bedroom, and our bedrooms are far and the router cable can't be very long.

    Today my internet had much problem, got disconnected many times, because the wifi was bad. When my uncle was absent, I found his PC was turned on and I turned on his monitor, I found him downloading something illegal and one torrent at his Windows. I suspected he took much bandwidth of mine.

    I want to throttle and reduce his bandwidth and increase my bandwidth. I want to make my internet faster and his internet slower. I want to control the router which is connected to my uncle's PC.

    I want to block him from visiting the piracy sites, because if I don't block them, I'll be arrested and condemned and not him. I don't want to run a risk.

    I want to take 8 or 9MB and leave 1 or 2MB for my uncle.

    Some Mac apps for that? (remember I'm not expert in right apps) I accept the terminal commands too.

    He uses Windows and a PC. And I use a Mac mini and OS X Mountain Lion 10.8. My router is Motorola. We're Brazilians.

    Thank you for attention, understanding and help!

  2. joemod macrumors regular

    Jun 8, 2010
    Athens, Greece
    First thing I can think of, is use your router's parental control. If there is no such thing, or it is too limited, you will have to buy a new router and disable the routing of Motorola.

    I don't know if your Mac mini can be configured to be used as a bridge between your uncle's window pc and the router. In that case your mac mini has to be always on.
  3. blueroom macrumors 603


    Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Get a router that supports filtering. Run wired GigE to your Mac Mini.
  4. Weaselboy Moderator


    Staff Member

    Jan 23, 2005
    Get a router that supports DD-WRT and use it to restrict his speed by mac address.
  5. hallux macrumors 68030


    Apr 25, 2012
    I have bolded what I believe to be the key information here. Before, you were plugged in directly to the modem/router (or sat right next to it, the optimal place for wireless signal), you got the fastest it could be. Now, you're on wireless some distance away (and who knows how many walls and what those are made of) which will cause unknown amounts of interference. Of course, this concern applies only if your speeds are slower ALL the time but you won't know if he's always downloading stuff without revealing your suspicions to him.
  6. gusbemac thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 6, 2012
    The problem is that the router isn't plugged to my Mac mini, but to my uncle's PC. If it's plugged only to him, will I be able to retsrict his speed, using the new router and using the wifi?

    But the router came together with the wifi and the bandwidth, from the bandwidth speed company. The router Motorola uses a gross cable which is connected to the network.
  7. gusbemac thread starter macrumors member

    Aug 6, 2012
    How do I discover my uncle's PC IP and MAC address?
  8. GenesisJLS macrumors regular


    Apr 21, 2009
    Here's a helpful step by step on how to do it.
  9. arjen92 macrumors 65816


    Sep 9, 2008
    Below sea level
    get the manual for your router. You should be able to get to the router settings with an ip adres. (for example There you should be able to see all the mac adresses of devices using your router.

    Read your manual for the details where to find this stuff and whether you can assign certain aspect to certain mac adresses. (e.g. a static ip adress for a certain computer).
  10. gnasher729 macrumors P6


    Nov 25, 2005
    I think he'll need nephewian control, not parental control :D

    But then I think this could be solved with a non-technical solution by having a talk between nephew and uncle, if that doesn't help then a talk between nephew, parents and uncle, and if that doesn't help then pack his suitcase for him.


    Usually you can access the router on or (just click on the links, see what happens. On my network, the second link goes straight to the router configuration). Read the model number of the router and Google for it for more information. You'll probably need a username / password, but the initial username is usually the same for all routers of the same model, and password is usually written on the bottom of the box. You'll probably get that info through google on the web.

    The only problem with changing router settings through WiFi is when you mess up the settings and your WiFi stops working. In that case you'll have to access it from a computer connected through USB or Ethernet.
  11. sim667 macrumors 65816

    Dec 7, 2010
    Just change the password and tell him you wont give him it as he's downloading from torrents....

    Personally I'd suggest using the QoS, set the QoS for high for anything you use it for, and when you're both on at the same time it will give you preference.

    Your other option is to block well known torrent ports, disable uPNP and manually route everything.

    However none of this would change slow speeds over wifi, if its the wifi causing the problem....... I'd kick him out, take your room back, and make him use the rubbish wifi if i were you.

Share This Page