I wanted the iPhone 4 to have.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SayCheese, Jun 12, 2010.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

.... an RFID chip.

I was really really hoping that Steve would have announced the new iPhone 4 has an RFID chip in it to allow us to make use of contactless payment technology.

How cool would that be? You could just swipe your iPhone 4 past the till and pay for your shopping/morning coffee/whatever else on your phone.

Maybe next time?

2. monksealpup macrumors regular

3. geko29 macrumors 6502

They reserved that feature for the 17" MBP. Just turn it on and flip it over, it'll cook anything you want. :p

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Honestly, the only thing that I've really thought the iPhone was lacking for a long time was a camera flash ... It has it now, so I'm glad. I would enjoy an LED message notifier, but I'm in no way bummed with the iPhone 4.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would have been surprised if apple added an rfid chip. They generally don't go the cutting/bleeding edge on such things

6. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

But they could add more more notifications to the lock screen (and may yet, because that is only a software issue).

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Well you could always wear a sandwich board with all your personal info printed on that if you want to help out identity theft thieves. RFID has its place, but the personal and financial ID realm is not one. I resent the fact its in my passport, but I have no choice. The day Apple puts an RFID chip in my phone is the day I use something else.

What caused so many people's wrists to go limp in the last decade? I see all these complaint about the iPad's weight and now lifting a CC and swiping seems to soon be a feat only an athlete can handle.

8. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Why don´t you just take RFID implant? You can swipe your hand at the counter just like a little pathetic slave. But it´s "COOL"!

And why don´t you take some vaccines, aspartame, fluoridated water to go with that. It´s all good for you.

If iPhone comes with RFID chip, that´s the day I´ll stop using iPhone.

9. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

All I ever wanted was lockable screen rotation in settings rather than in individual apps.

10. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

More RAM, significantly better battery life (+40% is not that great, considering my current usage) and more colours.

Still, this upgrade is the best one since the 3G has been introduced.

PS: I suppose, Americans might have wanted more networks and 4G capability. You can blame AT&T, but in the end it's Apple that decided about taking AT&T's cash for exclusivity.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its premature to expect 4G network coverage, its not ATT's fault but rather no carrier has really rolled it out. Look at Sprint, they have it in a handful of cities and when I say handful, I'm being rather generous. 4G won't really start gaining traction for another year or two.