Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
I'm sure apple fans will try to twist the specs to make them in apples favour as they normally try and do. I've even seen people say the iPhone 6 display is barely on par with the note 3 display nevermind the note 4 display.

I have to see the iPhone in person to compare the display and camera.

okay, lets do an experiment in logic

premise 1: iphone 5s has 50% faster core than snapdragon 801

premise 2: 99% of apps use only one core

conclusion: iphone 5s is faster 50% in 99% of apps

theres nothing wrong with the conclusion, is there smth wrong with the premises?

this is as objective as it gets...

----------

Regarding specs:

My point was not which processor runs faster by any means, my concern is the minuscule amount of RAM in a phone that costs almost 1000.00 to buy outright. I would NOT want to buy that phone only to find out only 2 years or 3 down the road that the apps, camera, video and the now permitted third party applications (which I believe do put a bit more strain on RAM than without the third party apps) might have the ipad 1st gen issue (512mb) not being able to handle the iOS updates that were provided later or the demand by the apps. If they had included even 2GB RAM I would feel more confident in purchasing it.

If I am wrong in this train of thought please educate me, I am always willing to learn.

yet the other option is android phone who gets software support for how long?

----------

So Apple has convinced you that 1gb ram is better than 2gb. OK. I just believe in numbers sorry.

and from that comes your ignorance...

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
Take 11 minutes to watch this video. Note 4 will have 3.68 megapixel front camera btw, sure to be improved over the S5.

oh wow, you get vintage colours right from the box with iphone 6 :D too warm and yellowish pics. i wonder how much can you fix those iphone 6 pics without loosing details when the colour space is so warm.. well, those are just phones...

as far as i can see, iphone consistently outperforms galaxy s5 in image quality, counting in the front camera which i didnt expect.

another testament to the fact that the numbers are often misleading

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
I was tempted to get an iPhone 6+ too, but it literally has nothing that's better than my Note 3. I'd rather say that it's the other way around. Specs aren't everything but I have RAM problems everyday on my iPad Air.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
well i think both cameras sucks, but im definitely a real cam guy when it comes to take pics. but back to the phones...

i had to check that vid again with a laptop and played abit with photoshop. warm, saturated colours feels better for most people but i think iphone6 exaggerates it. the skin of the guy looks yellowish, so does the wall on his back, it looks like nicotine tint on the wall. all samples has this tiny yellowish overlay and after minor changes with photoshop, pics were better.

but who knows irl, that was only a one guy making a short, quick review...and based on that review, you get a vintage touch for free, imo.. i quess it can be changed with white balance options, hopefully...

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009

----------

yet the other option is android phone who gets software support for how long?

----------

[.

Not sure if I snipped things nicely here or not. This is just used for example purposes:

I bought the SSGS3 on release date (I think it was June 27th here in Canada) So that makes the phone about 2 years old. It has received KitKat here So worst case scenario, the support was for 2 years.

Now take my iPad (first retina version) iPad3 I believe, released in 2012. It also is 2 years old but from some of the things I am reading I don't believe that iOS8 may work very well on it. At this time I am waiting out (My mom has 2nd Gen iPad and I have advised her not to upgrade to iOS8).

This article seems pretty open minded on performance on iOS8 for my iPad:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/09/18/iphone-6-ipad-deal-is-too-good-to-be-true-for-most/

My mom's ipad is 3 years old and would not work well on iOS8. So support to a device means nothing if the updates either brick the device or make it less pleasant to use.

Android OEMs may not offer support past 2 years, and that is fine, I think you can Root and do it yourself if you really want to, but I would rather NOT have the updates show on my device as available than have it offered as a crapshoot. Especially considering that there are LOTS of people out there not very tech savvy who don't realize that even though Apple offers the support, sometimes what is offered is worse than not being offered it at all.

Summary: support may last 1 year longer with Apple, but it can be a gamble. I know many people who received bricked iPads after updating to the last update available to the device when it should not have been offered. At least with Android, you CAN go back to the former OS.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.