I went zip-lining

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Doctor Q, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Have any of you tried zip-lining? I went for the first time last week and it was really really fun.

I looked around MacRumors and spotted only a few mentions of zip-lining in the forums: iBookG4user wanted to try it and KameronBriggs did.

You ride under a hanging cable while attached by a harness to a removable trolley that rides the cable. Gravity takes you down and your body position controls the speed. Body position, a braking system, the leveling out of the cable, and springs at the end of the line bring you to a stop.

Photos

Me suited up:

zip-line1.jpg

I went on five zip-lines, the longest being this one, 2800-feet in length over a canyon.

zip-line2.jpg

The view from the top:

zip-line3.jpg

Me on the way down. Leaning back with legs extended gets you maximum speed.

zip-line4.jpg

Springs at the end of the line:

zip-line5.jpg

I'm ready to go again the next time I have the chance! :)

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I did it while 'at work' down in Puerto Vallarta a couple years back. It was a blast.

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

One of these days, one of these days I'll do it.

5. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yeah, pricey. I paid about $40 per ride. Competition among zip-line companies is keeping it from costing even more.

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I did it a few years ago in Nicaragua. Loved it!

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

They have one of them in a local park where I grew up that I used to play on.

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

It looks like something that would terrify me. :eek: I think I must've died in some high-speed crash in a previous life or something, I get so terrified at anything that has the potential to develop speed. :eek:

But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oooh *envy*!

We have these here and one of these days we've simply got to go! I'm always looking for "cheap" thrills like this. :D

10. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Did this one in Haiti a couple years ago. Very fun.
    [​IMG]

11. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Definitely go to Go Ape. It's quite expensive but a lot of fun. The combination of obstacles and zip-lines makes it more varied than just going zip-lining.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

+1. Go ape is pretty amazing. Unfortunatly I wasn't able to complete it due to lightning. :\

13. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I tried it this summer for my bday. It included a tree top climb, a 300 ft zip-line and a 1000ft zip-line. Eventhough the 1000ft line looked very scary from the ledge, the 300ft one was faster because it didn't have a brake system.

14. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The hardest part was walking up the wobbly ramps while carrying my trolley with one hand/shoulder and holding my camera with the other hand!

zip-line6.jpg

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Looks like fun, but I'm afraid of heights so I'm not sure I'll ever go.

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Zip-lining looks pretty awesome and it's something that I've always wanted to try, but I haven't had the chance yet. Some day I will try it :)

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I'm with you. Heights would probably be the killer here.

18. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Wifey and I zipped through the El Yunque jungle on vacation in Puerto Rico last August. :)

19. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I've done it a few times, just not as far or as high as many of you guys here have done...basically at outdoor centres and parks and places like that :) It's quite fun! I think most of the cost comes from insurance, perhaps...or equipment...but I have no idea.

20. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

We'd looked into doing in while on vacation this summer, but logistically it didn't work out with the younger kids, so we scrapped it until they are older.

It certainly looks like a lot of fun, and would really enjoy taking a ride on a zip line in the future.

Doctor Q, you show yourself in the "speed" position - I'm curious as to if it's something where you'd want to go slower to enjoy the views, or if you need to go faster (or at least a certain speed) to maintain momentum and/or not get run over by someone else coming down.

How much spacing is there? Are you kind of on your own out there, or are others pretty close? How fast is fast?

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have wanted to do this for a long time. I'm going to at some point, dammit!

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Zip line tours are an incredible viewing of landscape. The zip lines I'm familiar with are the culmination of a "Ropes Course" or challenge course, or whatever you want to call it. It's a series of challenges that take you to the height of the ramp where the zip line begins. They are great team-building and confidence-building exercises.

Google Search

24. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I tried it in Puerto Vallarta about three years ago, too. If I remember, there were 2-3 different zipline operators there. The one we tried was "Canopy Tours Los Veranos" and they had several lines throughout the jungle that criss-crossed a medium-sized river. People on cruisecritics.com seemed to think they were better than the ones the cruise lines used, so we gave them a shot.

25. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ that might be the same one my co-worker and I did - I remember many of the lines being over a valley with a river down below. It was pretty awesome. Honestly, the scariest part was the ride in the back of the truck up and down the mountain - it was a pretty narrow dirt road with switchbacks and a sharp drop-off on one side.