Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you upgrade to IOS 11?

• Yes

Votes: 450 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 31 6.1%

• Total voters

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I'm going to keep my 7 on the last version of iOS 10 as long as possible. I've learned from experience since my iPhone 4 on iOS 4 it truly is best to keep your phone on the iOS version it ships with to have the best performance.

Still to this day the best iOS iPhone combo for me was my iPhone 5 on iOS 6. Man that thing was slick. The current iOS 10.3.2 is pretty close on my 7.

It's true though. Every major version year after year slows the phone down a little bit. Not quite as much in recent years because the chips are getting pretty powerful but it's there. And every time I've upgraded I've felt it right away and have downgraded.

Watch iapplebytes videos on YouTube. He does pretty good comparison videos. With the first version of iOS 11 of course it's laggy and glitchy but I bet by time the final comes it will perform not a whole lot better than it does now!

Apple has a great system in place to get people to upgrade every year or 2.

iOS 11 doesn't look like it does much new that I care about either. I'll stick with my lighting quick performance on my 7 with iOS 10.

PilotWoo

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
Will upgrade on day 1. Why wouldn't you? Security reasons alone should be enough to convince you over a perceived loss of performance. You won't notice a difference in performance on an IP7. An IP5 maybe.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I feel that if your device is 2 OR MORE generations behind the latest hardware release, it is at that time that you need to be weary of upgrading the OS, lest you suffer a performance hit. I wouldn't worry about the iPhone 7.

I saw someone on another thread (I cannot confirm the validity of the claim) say that iOS 11 on the iPhone 6 is "unusable."

Reactions: Beeplance

Deeznuts.

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2015
Queens, NY
Upgraded my iPhone 7+ on Monday after the keynote. Downgraded right back to iOS 10.3.2 in 30 minutes. iOS 11 beta 1 is very very buggy. Apps crash, the UI is very slow & laggy & I have no idea how to get rid on the blank music widget on the lockscreen, it's there all the time. Maybe I'll update around beta 4 or 5 when it's a lot better.

Reactions: iop

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Every time I upgrade to a new version of IOS, it usually ends up introducing a bunch of features I never use and slows down my phone. Since IOS 10 does everything I need, I won't be upgrading to IOS 11. This will be the first year where I don't upgrade. Will you be upgrading?

As others have said, Security is the fundamental reason why I will always upgrade.

I personally think it's crazy not to, but each to their own.

:)

Reactions: ABC5S

Debel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
Could you elaborate?

Yeah. To the the others bashing my opinion.

5s : random reboots. No headset volume. Bluetooth spotty. And the new toggles are lagged out

Same with SE

6s: wifi spotty Bluetooth power cycles every mins or so. Call on speaker freezes the app and cannot open keypad

Yes I understand it’s a BETA. I’m simply giving my feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I'm already on iOS 11 :D
[doublepost=1496873174][/doublepost]
I have a jailbroken iPhone on iOS 9.0.2 and a jailbroken iPad on iOS 8.1. If I upgrade, I lose my jailbreaks.

So, no. I won't be upgrading.
Why didn't you take the opportunity with the Yalu jailbreak? I have a 6s on 10.2 jailbreak and it's great

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm already on iOS 11 :D
[doublepost=1496873174][/doublepost]
Why didn't you take the opportunity with the Yalu jailbreak? I have a 6s on 10.2 jailbreak and it's great
Because anything past 9.1 is a semi+tethered jailbreak. On both devices I have a fully untethered jailbreak.

Also, I'm not interested in iOS 10. I wasn't interested in iOS 9, nor iOS 8 and definetely not iOS 7. Unfortunately, due to circumstances and device firmwares being on iOS 8/9 was unavoidable.

I'd much prefer my 6s+ with iOS 6.1 if Apple could make that happen.

That said, iOS 10 isn't so bad on a secondary device. I had to have my 5 replaced so it's on 10.3.1 right now.

Reactions: PNutts

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'm enjoying the beta from the start. As an experiment I've deleted the update software so I'm kind of 'stuck' with this beta. It works so well I don't want any changes no matter how it is stated as an improvement.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've already updated my iPhone 7, and I'm keeping it. The Music app has a few bugs. I have one minor 32-bit app that needs to be updated. I've had one respring in two days. I had to reboot one other time to get my AirPods working again. There is a cosmetic bug on the app switcher screen. Some functionality is not finished yet. But for a first DP, it's remarkably usable.

Not if they removed 3D Touch to open the AppSwitcher for good

Oh it's so annoying, always keep trying to do it; it was one of my favorite gestures
Oh, god. I am so glad that's gone. I had a couple of games that caused me to accidentally trigger that all the time. I thought it was a terrible UI element. I never used it intentionally.

But I'm sorry if you'll miss it.

Reactions: canesalato

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I agreed 100% when I first brought an iPad 2 and updated, it made it a paperweight. $600 IN THE TOLIET. Same thing to my iPhone 4, for 9 months it ran slow and buggy it was a nightmare, and I could not afford another phone.

I learn its apples way (form of marketing way) to get us to upgrade on the constant but these devices are very expensive and aren't worth the pain and loss, its the reason I will never buy an iPad again, the phone when purchase will not be upgraded to the next ios ever, i'll upgrade to the next ios when I buy a new phone. And to those that say "oh its ok it will work itself out" is FULL OF IT. try spending $950 on a device and have it slow down drastically when you NEED IT FOR RELIABILTY

Quit defending apple when it comes to software updates because its basically throwing your phone in a pool.
You can't compare iPad 2 or iPhone 4 to current devices. Their from a different era where hardware power and software demands increased more dramatically than now.

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
If you keep your iPhone 7 on iOS 10, you could advertise it as the fastest iPhone to run 32-bit apps. Just saying.

Reactions: souko

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
No. iPad definitely, but not the phone due to 32bit app issues. Have an app that the developer changed to expensive subscription model for upgrade.

Have the same issue. You’re not referring to LogTen Pro by any chance? That’s what I’m using, at least until I decide what to use next or just pay up :( for the new version.

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
I have a jailbroken iPhone on iOS 9.0.2 and a jailbroken iPad on iOS 8.1. If I upgrade, I lose my jailbreaks.

So, no. I won't be upgrading.
>Refusing to upgrade because of a stupid jailbreak

That is so dumb.
[doublepost=1496890356][/doublepost]
Yeah. To the the others bashing my opinion.

5s : random reboots. No headset volume. Bluetooth spotty. And the new toggles are lagged out

Same with SE

6s: wifi spotty Bluetooth power cycles every mins or so. Call on speaker freezes the app and cannot open keypad

Yes I understand it’s a BETA. I’m simply giving my feedback.
Well your feedback is kinda dumb at this point in time. It's beta 1. It's going to be buggy and unstable as crap. Come back around beta 3.
[doublepost=1496890413][/doublepost]
If you keep your iPhone 7 on iOS 10, you could advertise it as the fastest iPhone to run 32-bit apps. Just saying.
I never run 32-bit apps on my phone anymore. If I install any apps that are 32-bit only I'll just uninstall them almost immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.