I wish Apple would replace the physical Home button...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kal-037, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    So just trying to see what everyone thinks of this possibility... [​IMG]
    Personally since 2013-2014 I've noticed Apple's QC has become kind of shoddy in some areas regarding their iDevices. And especially problems with Apple's home button (failing, becoming loose, or having an odd cracking noise when barely touching or pushing it.) I think if Apple designed something like the image above that would be super cool and also perhaps cut down on replacements and repairs. I've had to replace about 4-6 iDevices in the past year because the home button went had the problems I mentioned. And I think I'm getting paranoid now as I don't even touch my iPP's home button as I don't want it to break. lol
    What about all you Macrumorians? Do you have issues with the home buttons and do you think having no physical home button would be practical?

Kallum.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

To place a divot in the glass where a button used to be may seem cool in concept, but in real world use I think it would become a nuisance. Text and images would be distorted. Swiping disrupted. Full use of the screen would be hindered for games. Etc.

A virtual button could work, but lighting it up would be a UI/battery challenge.

3. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Yeah, I definitely agree on that front and see what you mean. I think I'm more interested in just ditching physical home button. Like still have the area of the glass that show images now, but get rid of the home button. Or they could just make it flush and have the entire screen have the capacity to be a finger print scanner. ;)

Kal.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Probably in the minority, but want to keep the home button. My only home button with issues was 3gs, not once since with more then normal amount of devices.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I also like having a physical home button. Between me and my extended family, there's probably been about 20 iDevices by now, and I also have some friends who use them. Never heard anyone have any probers with the home button.

6. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

to be honest i've never ever had any issues over the years with defective or failing components in my Apple tech. nothing (touches wood). no creaking, lack of sensitivity, scratches, dead pixels etc etc, all the 'usual' complaints.

which means for the home button issue i have no concerns. i kinda like it the way it is :)
    (although thats not saying i'm not up for change. that image you posted looks sweet)

7. 617aircav Suspended

Home bottom does not bother me at all. What would be the benefit of removing it ?

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

There is huge benefit to having a physical button you can locate by touch alone. With your phone it means you can pull it out of your pocket and have the thing unlocked before you even have your eyes on the screen. I understand that we want smaller bezels on these devices; I do to. But the replacement better be really, really good.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

10. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

With 3D touch on the 6S and 6S Plus the home button is useless. The only function is Apple pay. 3D touch enables multitasking, going back to home screen..etc. The physical home button that's hardware should be replaced by capacitive touch. If you look at android phones (yes they do have a home button) but the back and multitasking are all touch.

11. 617aircav Suspended

No thanks. Don't want to have to look at my phone just to press the home button. Removing it does not solve anything.

12. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

The Home Button personally it's like a mouse with just 1 button. I like SAMSUNGs 1 physical button and 2 flush pressure sensitive buttons on Either side. Programs and Back

13. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

My initial post says the benefits.
    No home button would allow a new design and more importantly less breaking.

K..

14. 617aircav Suspended

I have had every iPhone since launch and several iPads and never had one replaced due to the home button, so those are not benefits to me.

15. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

They've been able to have new designs so far without removing it. :) I think they won't have a problem to continue making new designs if they choose to keep the home button still. Also, I've not had any home button break on any of the iDevices I've owned.

16. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

I like how HTC implemented the non-mechanical home button in their A9. When I started using it I immediately thought how this would work well for the iPhone. One less mechanical thing to wear out or stop working over time.

17. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I have never had an issue with the home button (I've owned and used every iPhone model except the new iPhone SE). I have no issue with the current home button or its design. IMO, no change is needed or warranted.

18. friedmud macrumors 65816

I have to admit - I have the "odd cracking noise when barely touching or pushing it" issue with my 12.9" iPP. I dare not trade it in though because the rest of the device is perfect. I have Apple Care on it... so if it actually becomes a problem sometime in the future I'll replace it then.

A little over a month ago there was a story about Apple using Liquid Metal for home buttons: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/08/apple-patent-liquidmetal-home-button-ios-devices/

So it's obvious that they're aware of the issue and are working on it...

19. joeblow7777, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I've owned 4 iDevices, not many compared to other here, but so far I haven't had any problems with a home button. Although, I did like the onscreen navigation controls of my Nexus 7, but their constant presence does take up screen real estate. Although I guess that could be offset by the fact that removing the home button would allow for a smaller bezel and therefore more screen space.

Really I have no strong feelings about the home button either way.

20. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The physical, old tech, analog push to activate home button is an Apple "feature" that also defines iPhone style. At a glance it's the fat top and bottom bezels and large round button that Apple loves.

It's an amazing testimony to Apple's power over their users. An old, incredibly slow button that rarely is criticized, it reveals how millions will tolerate old tech on a modern phone.

Others that have had the eye opening experience of using a lightning fast, convenient, modern touch sensitive button know just how much time is wasted with Apple's archaic choice.

Proof positive, it's not about speed and efficiency for Apple users, it's about vanity and using the "cool kids phone" :D

21. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Well with the addition of 3d touch they could use that design, and resting your finger on that part of the glass could wake the phone, (although that might cause battery drain issues) then pressing deeper would initiate the scanner.

22. RedOrchestra Suspended

That's pretty funny stuff, coming from you, since you posted this on an iPhone thread -

"Being a hard core smartphone enthusiast that's fortunate not to be limited by budget, I have all current model iPhones."

23. friedmud macrumors 65816

Personally, I think a physical button is often the most efficient. Do you have some scientific study that shows that on-screen buttons are somehow "faster" (whatever that means) or more efficient than a physical button?

To me, the idea that a button you cannot feel, has no haptic feedback and has to be activated by a processor sensing your finger on a capacitive touch screen is somehow "better" or more "efficient" in anyway is just off.

The physical button gives you something to feel in the dark. And it gives you perfect haptic feedback.

Now: I'm not arguing that it should stay. I could certainly see apple doing away with it in the future to make room for more screen. But it will be a _trade off_... just as losing physical keys on cell-phones was a trade-off when we went to virtual keyboards.

24. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Umm programmatically it can have a haptic feel when you touch it, it would be the same haptic feel as when you use 3d touch. Yes it might be problematic in the dark unless the glass actually curves. Think about all those poor android users who don't have a physical button for their home button.

25. friedmud macrumors 65816

Sure. I'm not saying it can't be done... and done well. And I assume that Apple will do it well in the future when they (most probably) will at some point remove the home button.

I'm just pushing back against the idea that a "virtual home button" is inherently "better" than a physical one. They both have tradeoffs.