I wish I had a Mac. Please share your buying experience!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eliyanimoses, Jul 4, 2011.

1. eliyanimoses macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

I wish I were like you guys. All Mac happy. My dream is to get a Mac. Feel free to Post your stories about buying your first Mac here.

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

My story is typical: going to college, need a computer, decided to give Mac a shot (was a Mac hater), and loved it after.

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'm 19. Used PCs my whole life up until this past April. I had been using a netbook for 75 percent of my first college year and ended up buying a used Blackbook for a great price. I love it. I'm trying to sell it now to fund for something different, however if I didn't need the money from this I would definitely keep it to use as a home laptop.

Never going back to PCs.

4. eliyanimoses, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2011

eliyanimoses thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Ugh black MacBooks are so much $$. How much did you get it for?

5. KylePowers, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Former Mac hater, switched last month from a Sony laptop to a 27in iMac.

To be honest, it's not that special. It's not that magical. It's just another computer. I'm more of a fan of the 27in's resolution over anything else.

Will I switch back to Windows? Eh, who knows, but I'm not against it. However, iTunes does run a hell of a lot better on a Mac than a PC, which plays nicely with my iPhone and iPad, of course.

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

University student, my old laptop was slowing down so took advantage of the education discount and got a Mac.

I like it a lot, but it's not worth being your "dream"! In fact my gf and I now share an iPad and MacBook between us. The iPad is fantastic and as the Mac now gets used so little, and costs so much more than a PC, that we may consider going back to Windows next time.

Macs are nice to use, but it's only a computer!

7. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

my experience was..

Walked into Apple store, said to a random guy in a blue shirt, I want a MacBook Pro please, guy said "dude, i dont work here" , found an Apple store employee, said "I want a MacBook Pro please", Forked out £1600 , got given a box with a MacBook Pro in it.. took it home .

:D

8. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Well i was an IT apprentice at the time and i kept trying to convince myself that if i bought a Mac it would give me motivation to get my coursework out of the way!
    Debated doing it for months as i had very little money but ended up credit carding it and ordering off the online store. it was worth it in the end though, although i still never did much of my coursework :rolleyes:

9. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

First Mac was a mini 1.42 G4.

It was a great machine but did not run the Windows programs - Bootcamp fixed that

10. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

We share the same dream! ;_;

Of course, i have bigger, higher priority dreams. But its nice to have some side-dreams as i call it!

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I came to Apple via the iPod. My first iPod (30GB Classic) expired (HD/battery failure) and, as it was still under warranty, Apple replaced it without fuss or seeking refuge or excuses not to do so. This happened a second time (some of the classics had a battery "issue") and, likewise, a replacement was issued without a problem as it was still under warranty.

Notwithstanding the various battery problems, I liked the form factor of the iPod, and the customer service Apple offered was excellent. Another factor which influenced me was a report I read on the BBC which argued that no Apple computer had ever been successfully attacked by a virus; initially, I assumed that this was mere propaganda or marketing, but I subsequently discovered that it was, in fact, true. At the time, on Windows, I was plagued by spam, and viruses, (despite having invested in the most robust anti-virus/spam etc software I could find) and very fed up with it.

So, I "switched" in April 2008 and bought a MBP. Since then, I have also bought a MBA, as I travel a lot and weight is an issue. I'll admit that I love the form factor of Apple, the good screens, the style, and build quality. OS is a very good system. In addition, I also like the customer support Apple give, and the fact that viruses are non-existant, and spam and its foul fellows have been hugely reduced (but not entirely eliminated).

Given the cost of Apple computers, and the fact that Apple honour their warranties, I always buy Applecare for computers; this means I have cover for three years, rather than one.

That does not mean that I hate Windows. Most of my work world still uses Windows, thus, I have to remain "au fait" with it, and, whenever I'm abroad, my work world seems to be "Windows" only. Likewise, I have Mac for Office on my Mac, as Word is what most of the - my - world uses. Moreover, I always had pretty good Windows laptops - I have had an Olivetti, a Toshiba Satellite Pro and a Sony Vaio and they were all very good laptops. However, I prefer the Apple Mac, but still find that I have to use Windows at almost any other desk or location than my own.

Cheers

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Ended up inheriting a friends' Macbook. It had Tiger on it, I used it for a while but ended up selling it. Bought my own in 2008 with Leopard on it. Sold it. Now got an iMac with Snow Leopard.

Although, I still have a Windows laptop. Both are good for different things.

13. afroAnt macrumors regular

I bought my first mac on the 15/04/2011, it was the macbook pro 15", I've used windows all my life but the few weeks before my mac my windows desktop kept crashing when I ran google sketchup and lost half of my assignment for graphics (forgot to save), then microsoft word crashed (lucky there was auto recovery), then Adobe flash crashed 12 times in one day (no joke) while i was doing my science assignment and continued to crash until I finished. So after that I really got fed up with windows, so I asked my dad could I buy one, he said no! so the week after I was with my mum in the city and decided to go to david jones to have a look at the macs, the guy gave me a great deal and david jones had interest free (which was good because I was still saving for it). So the week after i bought the mac, started it up and once i saw that welcome screen with the music I will never go back to windows. The only thing i miss from windows is the programs but you have boot camp for that.

14. RobMoss macrumors regular

Bought my first Mac, a Performa 450, in 1993, having coveted my friend's for a while. Then following its untimely death in 1996, I upgraded to a Motorola StarMax (can't remember which one).

Eventually, the StarMax became slow and unwieldy, and as I had a mortgage by then, I was forced to join the Dark Side until 2005, when I did a degree in Graphic Design, used Macs again at College and fell in love all over again. I bought an iMac then, which I still use to this day. In that time, my wife has worked her way through three Dell laptops.

15. jbjones85 macrumors member

Bought my first MBP 15" last week on the apple site. Great experience got it turned it on and it worked, setup was quick and painless. Day 1 installed a SSD and upgraded the ram. Very simple process. As they say "it just works"

16. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

you too!!??!

17. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Got a load of Apple Vouchers for my 30th which covered half the cost of an iMac so i rocked up at Blue Water and said i'd like an iMac and the sales rep took me through a couple and i bought one whilst my little boy (8 months) smashed the crap out of a magic mouse next to me. haha

Went back to the Apple store at the end of the day because they were holding it for me and they offered to help me to my car with it. So this guy wheeled it though the shopping centre to the car park.

I felt cool and embarrased at the same time as everyone was starring at me:D

18. NiCk- macrumors regular

Wanted a computer for college. I really liked the design of the Macs and the positive feedback from their users convinced me to "switch".

I ordered a 2.16ghz Core Duo Macbook Pro from eBay because we don't have an Apple Store at my country ( somewhere in Europe ). After 2 weeks it arrived. Best purchase I ever made ! :D

19. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i basically wanted a laptop and never had a mac and wanted to give it a try and had the funds at the time so i just went ahead and got one. it wasn't much of a driven decision but i'm glad i went with it.

20. ChrisA macrumors G4

My _first_ mac? Must have been a "Fat mac". Had 521K or RAM. monochrome screen and no hard drive. It must have been early to mid 1980's

I was impreseed with what Apple had done with so littel hardware. At that time I was using a Sun workstation and both the Sun and mac had the M68000 CPU inside. Sun have a 21" color graphics screen, networking can several large SCSI disks and an optical mouse. Thinks all of us have today but this was the 80's.

Fast forward 20 years. Now you can order a Macbook on Amazon.com and it shows up at you house in two days. Just do it. Stop talking.

21. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

First Mac I used as opposed to own was an Apple IIe UCSD Pascal at college

First Mac used at work was the Apple Lisa.

22. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

This. Never regretted it.

23. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I bought a Macbook Pro. It's a very nice computer but it's not that big a deal. Realistically, it didn't change my life or make me any happier. I still have Windows 7 computers and find them to have their own merits.

24. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

No. I'm pretty sure you don't want to be like me. And I, on the other hand, am pretty sure that I don't want to be like you.

And a Mac won't make you happy. It's a nice tool and a nice toy, but at the end of the day it's just a thing, and things just don't make anybody happy.

25. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I didnt have a choice at the time, as being only 2 years old, I didnt actually know anything different :p. But my first conscious decision was when it broke and 9 - 10 year old me mowed every lawn I could for over a year and bought me a nice shiny PowerMac G4. (And its still going strong) - For a 10 year old its the biggest purchase you can make pretty much.