I wish they never made OS 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Why couldn't they have just added copy and paste to 2.3 or something. It really sucks that I either 1.) I have to deal with a slow iPhone 3G with a crappy UI or 2.) Live without copy and paste on 2.2.1.

I wish there was a way to add Apple's copy and paste to 2.2.1, but I highly doubt that's possible due to the massive framework changes needed to use copy and paste.

Or... 3.) I could buy an iPhone 3GS, not be happy with the build quality and screen quality, sign up for a 2 year agreement, pay AT&T $1200 per year for it.

Therefore... if 2.2.1 had copy and paste, I'd be in heaven.

Don't even get me started on the huge fail 3.1 is.

Why did I submit so many bug reports and only 1 of them has been fixed so far (the easiest one that I could fix in 10 seconds... it took Apple 2 tries to fix it)? I submitted most of them during the 3.0 beta stage. Ugh.

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

So you don't care that for many people 3.0 brought a lot of improvements and necessary features?

3. specify macrumors regular

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He switched to a BlackBerry, but because the signal meter was one pixel higher than where it should be, he switched back.

5. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Oh my. Since we can talk freely here - 3.0 is what 1.0 should have been in my opinion.

6. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

if u dont want to pay another 1200 a year.. give up the iphone.. or u can pay 200 more dollars.. and be paying the same price as the 3g for service.. and have no complaints..

7. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

For once I find myself agreeing with "The Spaz" here.

When I bought my 3G two weeks ago now, I received one with 2.2 pre-installed, as I posted at the time.

Unfortunately there was a cosmetic defect and I had to return it within 30 minutes, and my replacement had 3.0 pre-installed.

The difference in performance IS noticable and 2.2 is a lot smoother and snappier than 3.0 and, if I'm being honest, I'd forego Cut & Paste, the Lanscape Keyboard, and Voice Memo's in favour of a faster, smoother UI experience.

8. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... I'm using my iPhone as a go-phone. So yeah, I'm not paying $1200 per year for this thing.

I'm disappointed that I've submitted a lot of bugs to Apple and they have yet to do anything about them.

It's too bad.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You really have never read any tech stories, have you?

There's a whole deal around calling things 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 products. Unless you're brave, people will advise you to stay away from 1.0 products. The first iPhone lacked a lot of features, didn't it? Now it's pretty stacked at 3.0.

A LOT of tech instances have shown companies hitting a sweet spot with the third iteration of a product. Almost nobody has ever seen Windows 1.0 or 2.0, but EVERYBODY (who is old enough) has seen Windows 3.0 -- mainly 3.1. Go look at car reviews. When a new model is introduced, the reviews seem to tick way up in the third year.

So basically Apple taking three tries to get it "right" is par for the course. Still, the first version of the iPhone was pretty darn good despite its problems.

10. MasterDev macrumors 65816

I honestly think if you can't afford the iPhone plan, just buy a freaking iPod and use a crappy phone for calls.

11. juswest macrumors regular

I've still yet to notice how atrocious 3.0 is. It works just as the last update for 2.0 did for me. My phone is no slower or faster. Just about the same.I've noticed my 3G with 3.0 be a little faster after getting it replaced. But no performance issues regarding 3.0

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Then something was wrong with your phone before you updated. It should have been working much faster before.

This is not a subjective thing, it's well known that 3.0 slowed down the interface on the first 2 generations of iPhones. (With its improved hardware the 3GS handles it just fine.)

EDIT: If you don't use 'Google Maps' or 'Contacts' a lot it might be easier to miss. Those are the two areas that took the biggest hits in my opinion. So if you're just swiping through pages then I could see how you might not notice it. But if you ever find a 3GS try doing a little google-map searching side-by-side with your phone.

13. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

3.1 isn't necessarily "slower", but it seems to stutter all over the place. Especially when you're listening to the iPod in the background. Now, I've gone back and forth between 2.2.1 and 3.0/3.1 so many times that I *DO* notice the difference. The iPhone 3G just can't handle things on 3.0/3.1 as well as it could on 2.2.1.

Try opening Mail on 3.1 (if it's already running in the background) and tell me if it doesn't stutter while it's trying to open. Do the same thing with Voice Memos or Notes.

I see the difference and it bothers me.

I just wish Apple had optimized 3.0/3.1 for ALL iPhone hardware instead of just the iPhone 3GS.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How many of them were actual issues and not just UI preferences?

Also, they receive thousands a day, why do you seem to think that they have a team set up to look at each one individually and go off and work on that one bug?

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Honestly, there is no need for this. OS 3 is great as it is. That it runs slower on other devices is expected.... thats how Apple does it.

Now, I can find 4 things I can do with OS 3 because of its features like landscape SMS/MMS and CC&P (to name a few). I like them and for that I have grown used to OS 3.

Don't complain of you don't have and be happy with what you got.

16. juswest macrumors regular

I guess it's easier for me to miss it.My Twitter app works the same, messages still does that wait wait wait for it load up at times. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to the load times, but it all works the same. Or like you said I just wouldn't be as inclined to notice.

I don't use Notes or Voice Memo's.Voice Memo's is on my last page with contacts,stocks, and the other apps I don't care for. Maybe I'd had faulty hardware before I got my iPhone released but mails been faster since. I'm not saying such just to oppose you, but I always see your threads about 3.0 and I've noticed no real difference

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

OSes get updated, they add features, they get slow on old hardware, new hardware is made that runs them fine, we upgrade. This is how the world works. Get over it.

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Yup. That's how it's been for computers(yes iPhone is a computer imo) since, well, the beginning. :D

19. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

I wish they never made OS 3.0...

Sorry, love 3.0, don't even remember what 2.2.1 was like. Search, Cut and Paste, Stereo Bluetooth, Voice Memo, (yep I use it) Slingbox (I know, not part of the 3.0 update)...the list goes on. And guess what, I can make a call. My iPhone does exactly what I want it to do. It turns on, icons launch and away we go.

Move up or be moved out.

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The iPhone is a more powerful computer than the first three computers I owned (75 MHz Pentium, 266 MHz Pentium II, 600 MHz Pentium III). And I can carry it in my pocket.

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Don't know why you submitted so many bug reports, only you do. I will tell you what happens from a engineer/user perspective, it least in my case. When we see so many reports on so many useless points like "fly away icons" coming from one user, we tend to ignore that user as being anal. Just sayin'...Apple may be different. Maybe that don't realize how much juice you carry on MR. Send them your threads.

22. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Gutted the ignore list doesn't extend to threads.

I'm gonna go with the majority and say I don't notice any downsides to 3.0 either. I had most of the big things - mms, copypaste - through jailbreak anyway but it's still nice to have it integrated.

Yeah, half the articles written about the first iPhone said "iPhone 3, iPhone 3 will be The One"

23. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I thought you never, ever used copy and paste. I'm too lazy to find your quotes, but I've seen it several times.

24. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Damn, good find. You know he's gettin' bad when he doesn't even remember his own propaganda.:rolleyes:

Like a moth to a flame, MR iPhone forum keeps drawing him back.

25. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Not upgrading to 3.0+ is akin to those Mac users still kicking it on OS9 and complaining about all the features in 10.0+.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.