I wonder how much VZW will lose?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brudog68, Mar 9, 2011.

1. brudog68 macrumors 6502

I wonder how much this $35 activation fee thing is going to cost VZW on Friday (and going forward)...it sure made my decision for me.

Of course a lot of people will have no clue til its too late and some dont feel its that big of a deal, but I dare say they will make up the difference on those who will pay the $35 fee more than once.

Time is running out for them to change their mind.

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I know people bash AT&T for their voice network but in terms of just data AT&T is much better than Verizon overall. I'll just tether my iPad but if I was going to use 3G Verizon wouldn't even be in the picture.

3. Saberj macrumors regular

I made my decision based on this as well.

4. iserian macrumors 6502

With four g Verizon phones being released any day who wants three g? Verizon has been waving the fee for some users so I would not be surprised if they do the same for pad number two buyers.

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Yeah me too. Being tight lipped about this information doesn't help Verizon at all.

6. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm forced to go with Verizon because AT&T doesn't have 3G coverage where I live and they've been promising it for 3 years now.

7. deadwalrus macrumors regular

Sadly, no review I've seen has yet pointed out the $35 Verizon rip-off. Was really hoping Engadget would get the word out, forcing Verizon to come clean or abandon this sketchball maneuver.

8. eff pc macrumors regular

ATD claims Verizon has no plans to charge an activation fee. Article was posted today so I'm taking it seriously but still not sure if this one article is enough for me to get the Verizon iPad without having a link to Verizon's official word.

http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110310/att-confirms-pricing-plans-for-ipad-2-iphone-hotspot/

9. bwrairen macrumors 6502

What does 4g phones have to do with the ipad??

10. eff pc macrumors regular

Maybe he is suggesting getting a WiFi iPad and tethering with the 4G phone? Just a guess.

11. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

In a way it actually does. Most people won't find out until they get to the store and they will buy it anyway.

12. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I was planning on getting the Verizon 3G iPad, but after I heard about the activation fee, it was a no go. Mainly, I was getting it as a "just in case", as I did with the original iPad, and I used the 3G data twice. So, right there if that was the case, I'd be paying Verizon $70 extra dollars (if the $35 activation fee is for everytime you activate data, or every 90 days, or whatever). Secondly, I pay Verizon $20 extra a month for the mobile hotspot feature. So I figured it'd be much wiser to chose to save $130 and just tether with my iPhone 4 to a WiFi only iPad.

So yes, Verizon made my decision for me too.

13. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

@genekend Offering prepaid month-to-month 3G service opts paid w/credit or debit card. If u select one of these opts, no activation fee. *JB about 1 hour ago via Radian6 in reply to genekend

This was posted on Verizon's twitter page today.

http://twitter.com/VZWSupport

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Kinda funny if this is true. VZW charges $35 for the privilege of being a customer. ATT gives $25 in free service as an enticement to become a customer.

Remind me again why so many people said VZW was a more consumer friendly company.

15. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

It's already been announced that they won't be charging an activation fee.

16. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Whether they will or won't, if they are doing the same 60-day before cancellation that AT&T, you would only have to pay the $35 fee.

Now if you choose to not renew within that 60-day window, then well I don't know what to tell you.

It wouldn't be smart to purchase an AT&T iPad when you know that you can only get EDGE to work in your area. Eat the $35 fee once and enjoy the internet, lag free.

17. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

no need to remind you of this. You post anti-vzw statements in every thread regarding Verizon. I think we get it. You hate verizon therefore troll at any mention of their name. :rolleyes:

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, but if you do your research I also post anti posts for all CellCos. I generally hate all CellCos and believe they are all the same. However, I do applaud when one or another does something for the consumer opposite of financially raping us.

However, I never post hate just to post it. I always give a reason. That is not a trolling, that is giving an opinion in the conversation. I don't care if anyone responds. I'm not looking for attention, but nice of you to notice me just the same. Ha.

19. brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

20. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

It's stupid. It should be like the iPad, pay month by month.. no activation fee.. just pure customer bliss! But if you love Verizon.. then of course, it's not going to stop people.

21. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

From their tweet:

If you go on the month-to-month opt and prepaid with a credit/debit card you will not be billed an activation fee. *JB

22. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

I have confirmed that there will be no activation fee on the Verizon iPad 2. The data network it will function off of will be our pre-paid data network and you will be able to manage your plan and account right from your iPad 2 just like on AT&T. Here is the reading material for everyone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. samsid macrumors newbie

samsid

From VZW Press Release Today

From VZW Press Release Today:

http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/03/pr2011-03-09y.html

24. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

The concern wasn't whether or not plans could be canceled; the concern was whether not activation and reactivations fees would be charged on the iPad 2's plan.

25. whachagott macrumors newbie

I have actually been on these forums for the last 3 years, and noticed your comments are extremely well thought out and educated. As I recall, you were accurate in many descriptions, including the iPad 1 release and shipment. Its not an exaggeration that I've searched for your opinion in this mass of hysteria, for a grasp of reality.

Seems to me thats a little more than trolling...