I Wonder Why the WEATHER app can't show the temperature?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Minuteman3, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Minuteman3, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013

Minuteman3 macrumors member

Minuteman3

... we can have animations on the clock icon (including a nifty second hand), and a date change every day on the Calendar ... YET ... the WEATHER app can't show the temperature?

It would be nice ...

(And, yes, I know there's an app that will do this. I just think the Apple Weather app should be more dynamic!!:))

Cheers!!

Ken

2. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

My guess would be that it'd use up a lot of resources. The icon would have change frequently (say, every 20 mins?). This is less often then the Clock icon, but the Clock app doesn't need to fetch data from the Internet, including locations and weather data. Then again, notification centre updates weather every little while and every time you check it.

All things considered, it is kinda strange that they can't have a dynamic, updating app icon for the Weather app. Maybe they figured that tapping an icon or swiping down for NC is fast enough and provides more information.

Then again, why have a dynamic Clock icon if the time is always seen in the status bar. :rolleyes:

3. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

And then you have to wait for it to refresh.

4. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

That's a good point, and something I've wondered as well. The animated clock icon is a nice touch, to be sure, but it really doesn't tell us anything we don't already know.

5. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

You don't need fetch data that often. I seriously doubt anyone will look up weather information once 20 minutes. All you need do is fetching data at per-set time (i.e. Sunrise, noon, sun fall, night).

6. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

How is fetching the weather every 20 minutes any different from mail or twitter or Facebook fetching data. It wouldn't drain battery.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

But people look at their phone a lot more often than once every 20 minutes.
    And every time that the icon was wrong Apple would be taking flak for not being accurate.
    Can't you just hear it now?
    All the whining about how big and powerful Apple is and they can't even get the temperature right.

8. CopyChief macrumors regular

It would use up a lot of resources. To dynamically update, location services would always have to be on. So every 20 minutes the phone would be pinging your location. Notification center (and other apps) -- those things are generally on demand.

You'd see a decent hit on the battery, and the privacy hawks would swoop in out of nowhere, too. "Why does my phone need to know where I am just to tell me the temperature?" Ugh.

Kidding aside, that's not to say it's not possible, it's just not the most practical answer with the current structure of iOS.

Even the old iOS6 setup for Notification Center weather was better. An up-to-date temp and forecast, on demand, but not updated otherwise. That seems like the most sensible solution for now.

9. Di4mondz, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

Di4mondz macrumors regular

Instead of updating the whole icon itself as changing from sunny to cloudy, why don't we just stick a temperature on a corner of the app?

Another weird thing I'd like to add is, I do not have weather on the Notification Centre.. I even checked the settings. iOS 7 B5.

10. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Do we really need to know the outside temperature every time we glance at the phone? I mean, honestly, how many times a day do we need to know the outside temperature? And when we do want to know it, is it really that hard to just swipe down the Notification Center and see the temperature right there?

11. MozMan68 macrumors 68010

MozMan68

But isn't hat the issue? Temperature is just one of the many aspects of weather. Showing 75 degrees F with a sunny sky when it is actually 75 and pouring rain and windy out wouldn't be much help.

12. Di4mondz, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

Di4mondz macrumors regular

Well..I guess they need a new icon for that then.. :p
    How about this? [​IMG]

13. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

So Apple can give it to us in another year or two and tout it as an amazing new feature.

14. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I have never understood the fascination with knowing the weather every single time you look at your phone. It's like these android guys that have the full weeks weather in a widget. Why???? It takes up space for something more productive. Very android I own has a layout just like the iPhone. Apps that are most used are on page one. I just don't get it.

15. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    All of you who are are saying it would be too much of a battery drain clearly haven't heard of iOS 7. iOS 7 multitasking is designed to handle things like that.

Here are the reasons why I think Apple hasn't applied it

Consistency: If the icon is changing the looks all the time it doesn't have instant recognition.

Outdated/bad info: What happens when you are in a poor internet connection? Or on airplane mode? Or a number of other things. You wouldn't be able to glance at it and know if it's actually accurate or not.

Difficult to symbolize: It's such a small space. There are such a wide variety of conditions to consider. Sure Apple could try to keep things simple like sunny/cloudy/raining, but that can be a bit simplistic. Especially because most of the time you already know if it's sunny or raining

I dunno, it just doesn't really make sense on the current homescreen implementation. If apple had widgets or live tiles, then it would make sense... but it would just feel out of place and honestly unnecessary.

16. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Dude, widgets are a MAJOR source of penis bragging for Android users. A major source. Ask them what kernel of Android they're running and it turns into a different story.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The temperature should be on the icon in some way. Fahrenheit puts the temp on the icon as a badge. You can use location services or not. It is certainly less resource intensive than pushing or fetching mail and displaying the unread count as a badge.

My guess the reason it's not is for advertising. Apple and Yahoo! want you to see the Yahoo! logo.

18. bushido Suspended

bushido

different people prefer different things. i love to have a "first glance" widget panel without having to open a stupid app just to take a quick look all the time.

19. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Lots of weather apps for iOS have a temp badge icon, which does the same thing and takes up the same amount of screen space. This is one feature I missed from Android. Widgets on Android, for the most part, are large and take up much more room than necessary.

20. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

So we can assume that you never go outside.
    I use the stick weather app in the morning and at night. That's it. I can't see why one would need to have it constantly on their home screen. Even when I'm traveling I don't need it. No one does. Unless you're a storm chaser, and then you probably scuff at the pityful apps on smartphones. When I check the weather during the day. It's not for a forecast or the dang temperature. It to look at a radar. And why would I want that constantly updating on my home screen.

You see, no one has yet to give a logical reason why you need weather on a home screen. What did people forget that it was cold or hot outside??

21. bushido Suspended

bushido

you sound like my old dad :p no point to even try to justify it. its just nice to have the option. i have friends living all over the world. i check their weather in korea for example all the time. the first thing i got when i was jailbroken was "weather icon" ever since the iPhone 3G days.

i also check it a lot during the day when i leave classes or befoe i go shopping or out for the night

"why is the clock icon ticking, theres no point either. its even more useless"

22. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

You don't need widgets to check weather status for more than one location. I can't think of a single weather app on the app store that won't let you have more than one location.

23. bushido, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

bushido Suspended

bushido

but it requires me to unlock the phone, find the app than open such app. in fact i dont like every app being "sandboxed" to its own in the first place. they should have the option to be more integrated with the system or have the ability to interact with other "apps" imo. but thats another story ;)

like on my secondary device the nexus 4 i have the "option" to have the weather in the status bar which i love but you can also disable it. see thats a choice you have :)

24. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

It takes you that long to find the app? I have one on my home screen. It doesn't take long to find it since it's right there. Plus, on the iPhone, you have the "option" of seeing the weather in the pull down notification center.

25. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Yet everyone is going gaga over the new LIVE clock. Even though its in 72 point font on the lock screen before you ever get to the stupid icon! Boy what a useful feature. The fact that they wasted keynote time uttering that is beyond belief. Now if they said a live weather icon at least thats more useful.