i wont regret switching over....will i?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OscarAlert, Dec 24, 2007.

1. OscarAlert macrumors newbie

this christmas, i am getting an iMac.
    now i have heard so some great stories about macs and i think i ready to make the switch :) ever since i was a kid i was with windows, never touched a mac until highschool, love at first sight ! :)

I have also heard some bad stories too.... :( which makes me nervous .....

any thoughts?

If anyone out there that has made the switch over had any difficulties or anytihng?

thanks alot :)
    Merry Christmas Everyone

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

No, you shouldn't have any regrets, unless your primary use of the computer is gaming. That said, you can still do some gaming and anything else you'd need in Windows, as long as it's an intel mac.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I game pleanty fine on my mac... Ok, so not AA titles, and not latest gen, but bootcamp is just what the dr. ordered for gaming.

4. j3nsen macrumors member

You should have no regrets. I switched over in September and will never own another Windows PC.

5. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I bought my first Mac ever this November, and I was pretty anxious at that time. But now I can say that it's one of the best computing decisions I've ever made! :cool:

Best of luck!

6. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Any problems you here about I refer to as being a part of the Mac Rumors Effect.

Basically the MR boards attract a very large number of complainers versus the unheard Mac owners (the majority) that have never had a problem with their iMac. No need to worry about switching, it'll be painless.

8. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I suppose you never heard anything bad about windows, or the computers that run them. People love to come here and complain.
    I have been using macs for years and the only problems I have ever had have been self inflicted but one. I had to replace the logic board on my current mac (see sig), but it was covered under warranty and I was without the box for about 2 days.

Don't worry about it. Once you go mac, you won't look back.

9. Wombert macrumors regular

I switched two years ago in November. Never looked back. Definitely the best computing decision I've ever made.

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

I used Windows for years because it was what we use at work. I built many PCs over the years for gaming and video work. Truthfully, I got tired of all the crashes and lockups with Windows and switched to Macs about 6 months ago - a Mac Pro and more recently a MacBook Pro. I upgraded to Leopard on both, with Windows XP via Boot Camp on the MaC Pro for gaming (FPS shooters) and XP via Parallels on the Macbook Pro. No regrets whatsoever. Here on Macrumors, we see people literally shrieking about problems with their Macs or OSX. I haven't had a single problem.

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The very worst that could happen is that you will wind up running Windows on it. That's not any different from your situation now. In all probability you will wind up wondering why you didn't switch sooner.

Reading the various guides, or David Pogue's Switching to the Mac will make the transition easier. Best wishes.

12. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I made the switch almost two years ago and I've never regretted it. Learning a new OS was fairly simple but exciting at the same time. I run Bootcamp/XP for my Windows games and OSX for everything else. This iMac has served me well over the last 2 years and I haven't had any problems with it so far.

No one can really say you'll love or hate the Mac, until you try it for yourself. But worse case scenerio is that you don't like the OS that much and you restrict your usage to Windows. The hardware will still remain sleek and sexy regardless of what you run on it :D

Welcome to Macrumors and don't forget to ask any questions you might have. The community here is wonderful and there is always someone here that can help you.

13. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

HA.

If there's any site on which you can get an objective comparison between macs and PCs, this ain't it. Personally, this writer has Mac in his blood, and downright LOATHES PCs. The sheer amount of stuff that goes on in Windows that is outside of your control is mind boggling.

Worst comes to worst, your iMac will be run on an Intel Processor. This means you can always install Boot Camp for it, buy a copy of XP for 99 dollars, and run windows off the Mac. Although I can't imagine why. OSX rules.

14. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

15. wheelhot macrumors 68000

I still find it hard to belive that a magazine says that the fastest laptop running Vista is MacBookPro

16. sublicon macrumors member

Just be cool, take everything step by step. Realize that it's different, but its not more difficult than what you've been using with Windows. You'll soon see the light.

Enjoy and welcome!

17. juiceman311 macrumors member

I switched from PC to Macbook in July of this year right before I started graduate school. I had no reason to switch. I never had issues with PCs really, and I was proficient on them. I just felt like switching and I also did not like what I saw with Vista and it's requirements. So I got the blackbook. Love it, no issues, not much of a learning curve.

18. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I think you won't REGRET anything, but you may at some point dabble in PCs for a little while,like I am, but MAcs will not cause you any regret to speak of.

19. OscarAlert thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW :)
    thanks everyone
    wasn't expecting all of that hahaha
    I bought a 20" 2.4ghz 1 gb ram 320gb HD from ebay and it should be arriving on jan 4 : )

You have no idea how excited i am hahaha
    oh i have a few other questions:
    1. If i run boot camp to run vista or xp am voiding any warrenty ?? maybe a dum question?? im a newbie on this stuff

2. Can i leave this thing on over nights without worrying about it over heating???
    i leave my pc on all night all day, torture the crap out it hahaha but i was thinking since the imac is really compact i was kind of worried? any suggestions?
    Some kind of sleep mode haha i donno like windows perhaps?

Oh man u know what i just remembered was that macworld is in january !
    And i bet, since i bought the mac, i am going to get screwed over and there WILL be an update to them there. 45nm i bet thats all it wud be anyways .

20. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

1. kind of a dumb question yes, but that's ok. Bootcamp is made by Apple, so it's fine to run windows...no warranty issues.

2. Fine to leave on, but there is a sleep mode, and it's "standby" in windows, :p

21. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yeah, you can leave it on or in sleep mode all night. My record uptime was 34 days, I believe, on my old PowerMac. The intel iMac should be a lot more stable. Have fun with your new Mac and good luck!

22. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Merry Christmas to you too!!

I bought my first Mac (iBook G4) about 2 years ago and now I own 6 Macs!! I LOVE all of them!!
    iBook G4
    MacBook 2.16GHz
    Power Mac Dual G5 2.0 GHz
    iMac 24" Core 2 Extreme
    2 X iMac 24" Core 2 Duo

Cheers.
    :):apple:

23. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I switched half a year ago and I am very happy about the switch...
    I still have a bootcamp partition for my occasional gaming but other than that I only use OS X.

24. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Its not a dumb question, as EULA's (Licenses) are very complicated these days. IIRC, you shouldn't have any problems running an XP license on a Mac, but good old Microsoft put a license restriction in some versions of Vista (Home Vista?) which legally restricts them from being allowed to be used in a 'virtualization' mode. This doesn't mean that it won't technically work - merely that to try to do so may be a license violation.

Now I'm not 100% sure, but my "I'm no lawyer" interpretation of this virtualization stuff means is that Vista (any flavor) should be OK to run in "Boot Camp" (because that's not virtualization), but not under the "Parallels" -type of software (because that is virtualization).

If this sounds like something stupidly complicated that's being done by MS, just to create hassles for Switchers, I wholeheartedly agree :)

So you're asking if it is like a Dell laptop? :D

Short answer is that it should be OK to leave it on 24/7.

Longer answer is that I'd like to say that it is absolutely no problem, but there have been a few reports of recent-generation iMacs having some hardware problems. I don't have an iMac, so I've not had any need to pay attention to these reports. In general, hardware problems are rare, and Apple is usually good about correcting them.

Being aware of when new hardware is likely to come out is modestly important * if * you're buying new hardware. However, I assume that you're buying used, so the potential for newer & better hardware coming out soon should have been reflected in the (hopefully) lower-than-new price you're paying, no different than if you were buying a used car.

-hh

25. macwannabe77 macrumors member

macwannabe77

I bought my Macbook in November and absolutely love it. My old toshiba laptop died and needed a replacement. Vista looked too shaky and problematic so I decided to research the Macbook and Leopard. I am glad I did. The more research I did, the more I loved both. I still have a desktop PC for gaming, but I do not think I'll live without a Mac :):apple: