I would have preferred full price, fair plans, and a dock.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powerbook911, Jun 10, 2008.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think it's a bit just hiding pricing, for the new phone.

This thing is going to be cost after cost.

For data, even if you live in 2G only area, $20 -> $35 (if you want to keep your 200 text messages). $15 more per month, which is $180 more per year.

Next, no dock!!! I can imagine it going for $49 or something.

Add the dock and the extra data, and in less than 1 year you've made up the price difference.

Finally, does anyone know if the new iPhone might just fit in the old dock???

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I would have to agree with you. IMO, apple has made it seemingly half the price so they can advertise it that way even though total costs will be more. Oh, well, good marketing on apples part.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Early reports indicate no, since the back is curved it doesn't appear it will fit in the old docks.

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Attached Files:

5. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

i would agree with the OP. I would've also paid more if it was built using more expensive materials, i.e. not plastic

6. sorrowharvester macrumors newbie

I was ready to pay full price for both my wife and I. But, now I save some money because I am already paying more for my BlackBerry service with Sprint, so, I'm pretty happy :)

7. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

not everyone will, so they opted to go with a lesser expensive material in order to keep the cost down. i don't think it wa neccesarily a bad move. they will gain more new owners than they will loose over no high enough quality material.

8. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

It is not necessarily for keeping the cost down, it is more for reception. Better cell phone reception and better GPS reception.

9. hashbrown macrumors newbie

I thought the plastic back was to improve reception? One of the hands-on reports compared reception between v1 and v2 and found 2 to be much better, could be a new chipset though. I'm sure it helps cut costs as well, I'll miss the cool metal back.

I think forcing the $30 plan really sucks. Most people are calculating $240 actual cost over 2 years, but do you really think that after two years the price will be back down to $20? What it's really doing is setting a new price point that they will never lower unless the iphone goes non-exclusive.

I really hope they have an EDGE only option for those folk that are in areas without 3G or for people that want the other features of the phone but are perfectly fine with EDGE. My wife wanted to get the new iphone, but she might just try and find a cheap used first gen to save the $10 a month.

Might not hurt to send Apple a little note to give them a little constructive feedback eh?

10. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I completely agree with you.

Steve was saying 56% of people said the iPhone was too expensive. So to fix that, he drops the price of the phone down but forgets to mention the increase in data plans fees.:confused: Not much of a fix, Steve.

Also, the not including the dock... that's a joke... they probably cost like 40cents to make.

In the end, I would much rather pay a regualr price of $399/$499 and still pay $20 for data plans.

11. stevin macrumors regular

I completely agree. I'm pretty sure Apple didn't think.. hey lets save 2 dollars per phone by using plastic instead of aluminum... Especially when aluminum is becoming such a big part of the computer line.

If you remember last year when they released iPhone v 1.0 they initially had it all aluminum and added the black plasti piece on the bottom to increase cellular and wifi reception.. But primarily cellular reception (ipod touch has a very small plastic piece for the wifi... which i guess is all the wifi radio needs.

12. Kupe macrumors member

Hello!?! Sim Ejector Tool included! Did you forget that added feature? Makes up for the lack of a dock, would you say? ;)

13. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I'm in a similar boat. I live in an area without 3G and sadly don't travel enough. If AT&T allowed for an EDGE-only plan (is there a technical way to do that?) w/ the new iphone, I'd go for that. You can always upgrade your plan if they actually get 3G to you (and in my boondocks, I doubt it'll be anytime soon). I don't think I can justify the extra $15/month the new phone would require to meet the old plan.

Most likely I'll try to find a 1st gen phone at the new phone prices (or less).

14. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I bet the dock will work, i use the same doc for all of my ipods, nanos, video, iphone and they all work fine. They don't fit perfect so I just have to be careful when I plug them in but they work.

15. jdee2wheels macrumors member

I'm just getting tired of being nickle and dimed to death from every company I do business with, from banks, to utilities, to government...you get the idea.

Sure I can afford the extra $15 and people make it seem like it's not big deal, but when it happens all the time...it really starts to add up.

Lets be honest here, the iphone with internet is pretty cool, but for most people it's hardly necessary. The iphone really isn't all that great for surfing the web. It's really good for a quick update, checking your email or looking something up real quick, but if you're going to be doing any real surfing, it's still really slow, even on Wifi. Because of this, having internet on a phone seems like it's just barely worth the $20 fee from the old plan. When you start getting past that price, it becomes much harder to justify. If I could tether it to my laptop i'd be all over it, but of course AT&T wants you to pay another $50 a month for that privilege. Between TV, phone, and internet the amount of money people are spending to stay connected is starting to get out of hand.

16. godfreyhk macrumors member

Wait... I'm confused... this page reads "In the box: Dock Connector to USB Cable"... so is it just the cable or something :confused:

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's the same cable you get with any iPod that goes from the Dock Connector (what the port on the bottom of iPods and iPhones are called) to a USB port. There's not a dock that sits the phone upright in the box.

I wonder if I could get a free phone if they just shipped me the parts and let me put them together.

18. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I think a dock is the least of the worries. It's conveniant, but i very rarely use mine. I just lay mine on a cloth on my desk. Simple, easy.

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

'Fair plans'...because Blackberry, Treo, and Q customers aren't paying the exact same amount.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yah. $20/month is good for what you can do on the phone. Like you, I mostly keep it for mobile e-mail and "ooh, I wonder..." Web surfing. I'm not looking for a full connection, really just what you mention. According to my phone, I have sent 23.7MB and received 191MB on EDGE in the 2 months since I got my phone. GPS isn't going to change that. 3G wouldn't change it much (I'm not going to run a YouTube server off it).

I think the other stuff fits in as well. I got kinda screwed by someone who ended up being useless, which left me with a damn DirecTV contract for 2 years. Aside from their lame family package (basically 15 Disney channels and the Hallmark channel), you have to pay $50 to get anything when all I really want is locals, Comedy Central, CNN, all the ESPN stuff, and a few others like TBS and FX. Nickel and dime us to death!

21. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

People easily forget that with each product release Apple cuts corners.

The first iPods used to come with docks, wall chargers, the whole bit. Now all you get is the USB cable. Same is happening with the iPhone.

22. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Wow.

Apple is going insane I think.

What about those "universal docks" we were all encouraged to buy with the latest round of iPods and iPhones also. Now I have two of those and about a million little plastic inserts for them so I can dock "any" Apple product.

I can just hear Greenpeace going on about that now. There must be a small mountain of those little plastic inserts floating around out there that are all 100% useless now.

How could they change the dock to a more "universal" model and then turn around and change that less than a year later? WTF are they thinking over at Apple lately?

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Someone (me) started a rumor that the Sim Ejector Tool is a $20 paperclip. Is that true?

24. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Probably, or maybe just part of the paperclip. Cut and polished and dyed the colour of your iPhone. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

25. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

preach brotha preach! :D