I would like to see SWYPE coming to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Freecity88, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Freecity88 macrumors member

Freecity88

2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

It's just software, so yea it's "possible"

But again, it's up to apple to impliment it.
    I'd say not likely. Then again, who knows.

But I'm happy without swype, do it doesn't matter to me.

3. rtabdo macrumors 6502

I don't care THAT much for it, but I could swear there was an app just like swype. When the app store first launched I remember downloading it, but I don't have it anymore or remember what it was called. It just wasn't a part of the default keyboard.

4. jp700p macrumors regular

Swype is cool but then gets annoying quick. I used it on my HTC EVO when it was available for download. It was annoying having to type out words it didn't know. And if you type fast, the screen thinks its a "swype" and you get a garbled up word.

Uninstalled within a week.

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I've tried Swype on a Droid X before. It's fast, but you can never tell what you're typing. Just my opinion. It's not quite as good as Apple's. It's takes far more learning time to master it. I actually emailed Steve Jobs about this, to which he replied: "Actually, its not so good. We have tested it and other variants a lot and its not nearly as good as our current keyboard." Those are his exact words, and no, I'm not making this up. :apple:

6. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Swype is superior to iPhone's native keyboard and because of that iPhone will never see it.

7. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Didn't you read what I said above your comment? Personally, the iPhone's native keyboard is better than Swype for me. It's easier to use and understand, (although it could use a refresh). :apple:

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given that it alters a stock os provided feature (keyboard) i doubt that apple would ever approve the app.

So the chances of this coming to the iphone is slim

9. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I actually emailed Steve Jobs about adding Swype functionality to the iPhone, to which he replied: "Actually, its not so good. We have tested it and other variants a lot and its not nearly as good as our current keyboard." Those are his exact words, and no, I'm not making this up. :apple:

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Typical apple. response from SJ.

Swype is really good once you get over the learning curve. It is faster than the normal iPhone keyboard. The trick to swype is being able to know what words to tap out and what to swype. Short 1-3 letter words it is better to tape out and longer words it is better to swype.

the iPhone could easily put that that technology in on their keyboards

I think he did read it.

Either way apple response or SJ response is reads like standard marketing BS that he says.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It seems apple is falling into the trap if we didn't create it, then its no good.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Why are you still here?

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Sorry for the double post but I'm on my iPad and don't want to do too much editing. Anyway, you can't just say Swyoe is better, period. For some people, it isn't. I am way faster on the iPhone keyboard and I've used swype a ton.

14. Phokus macrumors regular

Steve is such a Cretin, you can swype so much faster than you can type on Apple's ****ty keyboard

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

SWYPE is simply outstanding. I have it on my Droid X, and my Galaxy S.*

This is one of those milestone technologies that truly changes things. Once one learns how to use SWYPE it's unlikely they will every go back to typing a letter at a time.

One of the many advantages is ease of use and speed. All one must do is have a bit of patience to learn it. It's new & different, if you allow yourself to get frustrated you won't be successful. If however, you approach it with an open mind you will learn it faster & benefit from it.*

Once mastered it's not only is easier, but very fast & accurate. Just like the iOS4 learns your style & offers up words, SWYPE does this & more. The most amazing feature, is acceleration. Once one becomes proficient it assists you in increasing your speed & accuracy. I can enter sentences approx. 40 % faster than before. I feel confident that after a month, I'll be even faster. Plus it's so much fun to use.*

I do know they are in talks with Apple, but I believe it's too good. Apple's ego will prevent them from approving this exciting new technology.*

16. Vihzel macrumors 6502

It would be nice for Apple to give users a choice in using their stock keyboard or Swype. They'll probably say that their keyboard is what's best for their customers though.

17. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I played around with SWYPE on my EVO for the 3 weeks I had it. While I did find it to be faster than one finger typing, two thumb typing is faster. I'd be interested in seeing a video demonstration from anyone who claims otherwise.

18. Vihzel macrumors 6502

It all depends from user to user. I'm personally faster with Swype than 2-thumb typing. Am I going to have to make a video of what's faster for me?

19. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

With all due respect, you may have used it, but you've not learned it.

It took me several days of practicing, then suddenly it became easy & my accuracy & speed skyrocketed. It's learning some new & different. One cannot master it in an hour or two. It takes an open mind, desire, determination & practice. Just like learning anything new.

20. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

The claims I was referring to is that SWYPE is superior to the iPhone keyboard. I'd love to see a fast SWYPER vs a fast typer and see how the best of the best turn out.

21. The General macrumors 601

I've tried SWYPE and I don't like it. The only reason people want it on LOLdroid is because LOLdroid has a terrible keyboard. Why else would HTC, Motorola and Samsung swap out for a keyboard of their own?

Also, I'm on the fastest typers list:
    http://twitter.com/iTextSpeed/fastest-itextspeeders/members

And I type almost 70 words per minute on my iPhone, so maybe that's why I don't like SWYPE.

22. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I am _much faster_ with SWYPE, by a wide margin. It's a fun & exciting new input method.

And no I'm not going to make a damn video because some fanboys challenge the facts. I could care less if they believe it or not.

23. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

That's probably partially true, but they want what's best for their users, and taking long hours to learn how to use Swype isn't exactly ideal (although I would still like the option). Maybe Apple will create their own version of Swype that's easier to use?

Read my lips, buddy: "Actually, its not so good. We have tested it and other variants a lot and its not nearly as good as our current keyboard." Those are Steve Jobs exact words on a possible iPhone/ Swype combination.

I agree. I'm hoping Apple will make their own Swype competitor. Here's what Steve said on the issue (I emailed him awhile ago): "Actually, its not so good. We have tested it and other variants a lot and its not nearly as good as our current keyboard."

Agreed. I feel the same way. I don't want to take the time to learn Swype anyway.

True. It depends on your personal preference.

No thanks. I'd rather have Apple create a Swype alternative that's a bit easier to use/ learn than the standard.

What do you guys think of Swiftkey?

24. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

That would be interesting...

Good point.

Yes, I agree. It is a fun and exciting new input method. The question is, do you really want to spend all that time learning how to use Swype?

25. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Correction:
    As just one example, the Samsung Galaxy S, and it's variants sold in the USA, do _not_ "swap out" the keyboard for SWYPE.

SWYPE comes pre-loaded as an additional option. It's use is also an option. For example, if you buy a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) from AT&T, in Settings you have a choice of four keyboard layouts, plus SWYPE as an option. This is one of the undeniable advantages of Android. One gets a lot of choices free.