I would stay away from the 2G 32GB itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by propel, Dec 7, 2008.

1. propel macrumors newbie

They skip when playing itunes songs. Play the song again and it will skip in a different place. I have had three brand new ones do this so far. The same songs work perfectly on a 2g 16GB itouch and 1g 16GB touch.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Doesn't mean it's something limited to the 32GB one. In fact, it sounds more like there's something wrong with your music files than anything else.

The only difference between the 32GB and the 16 and 8GB 2G models is the amount of storage, everything else is identical to the two lower-capacity models. Capacity alone would not affect playback. In any way. In fact, saying that makes it seem rather absurd that you're thinking it's limited to a certain capacity...

But yeah, I think you should probably go through and re-encode the offending tracks, it sounds more like something to do with the files than with the iPod.

3. propel thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said the music files play fine on the Mac. I have 4 other ipods and 2 other 16gb itouches one 1g and one 2g and they play fine on those. They do not however on three different 2g 32 itouches. The same files play just fine however on the offending players when using the simplify media app. Go figure! :eek:

I am returning this itouch tomorrow.

4. biikman macrumors regular

I've had mine 2 months and haven't had a song skip once. Guess I got the only good one :) By chance are your files lossless?

5. propel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, all 30,115 of them. Just this morning I put 100 new songs with newly bought CD's. Samething randon skipping. It makes the darn thing unlistenable. I put the same songs on a 2G 16 and it works flawlessly.

6. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

maybe theres a firmware problem? i would restore the ipod and if there is still a problem you can downgrade the firmware...

7. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

I have had a 32GB Gen 2 since early September with no such issues.

8. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I do not think it's that some of the 32G Touches are good or bad in this regard, rather that their seems to be a certain threshold LOWER than 32G where music files then start to have a problem, possibly on all 32Gs. There have been other threads on this topic or related to it that all show that on the 1G as well as the 2G that certain aspects of music playing or displaying have some problems when there is a LOT of music on the unit. I myself have about 17Gig of music on my 1G and the albumview as well as the songs displays have performance problems.

Basically, what I am saying is I am betting that there is a point well below 32G of music where performance degrades, and we users with large numbers of songs and CDs are going to have to limit how much of it we keep on the Touch at any given time. (right now the 17Gig I have on my 1G represents 60% of my total CD music, less than 10% of my vinyl music including albums. I intend to have 10 to 14G max on my 2G at any one time)

Mike

9. propel thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a restore and started as if out of the box. Same problem. Next I will try from my other Mac and use a different library.

10. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I had mine a week after it it came out and never had a problem with music skipping.

11. propel thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I found the problem. Anyone want to take a guess?

12. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

You plugged your headphones into the record player instead? :D

13. biikman macrumors regular

There is a bug that causes lossless files to skip. This has been duscussed quite a bit in the forum, as well as apples discussion forums.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1797634&tstart=0

that it doesnt skip on the 16 gig is a bit weird, but I've got a 32 gig and it works fine, but I do not haver lossless files I'm not surprised I haven't run into that issue. It has been mentioned quite a bit that when the touch screen goes blank while playing music, it causes the skipping to occur. This doesnt happen on the 16g? incidently, I recall this also being an issue when the 80/160 classic came out and people synced lossless to those to, there were many complaints about skipping music.

14. propel thread starter macrumors newbie

You're my hero! That is it exactly. I thought I had it fixed but no when the screen goes out it skips randomly. It does not happen on the 2g 16gb. Not sure why! Do you think I should wait for a fix or return it?

15. biikman macrumors regular

hard to say... depends I guess on where you got it and the return policy. If you still have a good amount of time then it may be fixed before you have to decide, but a palce like apple which is what, 14 days... not worth taking the chance IMO.

16. propel thread starter macrumors newbie

Well this one I got from the Apple Store last Thursday because I returned the other two I thought to be defective. The genius guy thinks its my problem and said it was the last time he was going to exchange it. It does not work as advertised so I will just take it back and see what they say. I use the Shure E530's earbuds so a lower quality sound file will not work for me.

Thank you so much for your help!!! You were spot on! :)

17. biikman macrumors regular

You may want to print out the thread from the apple forum detailing the issue, in case they give you a hard time about it. Apple HAS to know about it, as it has been going on for a while, and there has to be a TON of feedback being sent about it. Good luck, sorry it didn't work out for ya.

18. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

I am sorry, but will apple not fix this issue?

Is it hardware related? Or software related?

Is it only with itunes songs? what happens to my mp3s which I created from my cd's?

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Could someone give me an example? If I have 10 songs and playing the first one, does it mean, after the first the third will be played? or nothing at all?

19. propel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I plan on doing that. Again, you were a huge help and I thank you!

20. propel thread starter macrumors newbie

I would take it back and wait for the fix. I think its a hardware issue. Good luck.

21. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

A Hardware Issue?

I have an engraving (by apple) on a 4 days old Ipod Touch 2nd Gen. - will they take it back?

PS: I would be glad if you could refer to my other questions as well, so that I can better understand what you mean.

22. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Apple does not take back or exchange engraved iPods/Macs unless it is broken. You have to show them that it is malfunctioning for them to give you a new one. Regardless, they usually don't take it back and give you a refund, they just fix yours or give you a new one. It is only under unusual circumstances, such as they gave you 5 malfunctioning units, that they may give you a refund.

However, I think this problem is a software issue. The components of the 32gb iPod touch is exactly same as the components of the 16gb iPod touch. Also, some software updates can even work around a small hardware flaw. If Apple found out that all 32gb iPod touch have a malfunctioning chip or something, they'll probably do a recall and all owners of the malfunctioning iPod should be able to get an exchange.

23. TMC2k1 macrumors member

I want to know one thing before I get this for christmas. Is this a problem for ALL 32GB iPod Touch 2G's? or just some of them?

Also, how much space would I lose if I encoded all my music with apple lossless? The apple site claims the 32GB can hold 7,000 songs if they are all encoded in 128kbps. How drastic of a drop in amount of songs be if the majority of the songs were lossless?

24. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

does every song skip? is it within a song itself? or is it that it skips from song 1 to 3 and forgets about 2?

Is it only when the screen is off?/on?/dimmed?

Cause I just listened to 2 songs on my one, no skipping so far.

EDIT: Wait, I just played a classical song, which is supposed to last for 5:40. Played the song, turned on my stopwatch and surfed the web on my ipod. after 1;40 min another song started. IS that what you mean?

How can I listen to music? If no song is played until its end?

Edit2: now thats wired, played the same song again, it ran until its end. Is it only if you do other things while listening to music?

25. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Well it's hard to say if it's all of them or not, because we have a relatively small sample size.

Apple Lossless encodes at 929kbps, which is about 7.26 times bigger than 128kbp. So the advertised 7,000 would drop to around 964 songs. This is provided that all your songs are 4 minutes and not including album art or any other apps, photos, videos etc.